Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011

tobytoo is on a distinguished road
Which Brewers is closing and why?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2011
Aspiring sailor

fredct is on a distinguished road
Brewers Yacht Haven. Brewers Yacht Haven is Closing Down
Old 08-04-2011

GMC is on a distinguished road
What we did.

I'm also in NW CT and had the same thoughts as you. B'port area closest, etc. We eventually chose to get a mooring in New Bedford 2 1/2 to 3 hours for a couple of reasons. Mooring wait lists are years long in most places and were not in NB. Although the drive out and back is long, there is hardly a day without good sailing on Buzzards Bay and the sail to Cuttyhunk, Kettle Cove, Woods Hole, Vineyard, etc are short trips and feel unique. A lot of variety. Last year, I stored boat in NB marina, but will probably bring it up to Portland so I can visit with less pain in the winter.
Old 08-04-2011
Aspiring sailor

fredct is on a distinguished road
Another good comment! Obviously a 3-hour drive is not something spontaneous but if there is good sailing to be had... Years' long waiting lists? Probably explains the high prices between Norwalk and New Haven. I assume that winter storing in CT does not subject one to CT registration requirements and sales tax...
Old 08-04-2011

GMC is on a distinguished road
The reg stuff on winter storage is pretty loose in all jurisdictions. I registered in CT because I thought I would keep boat in CT (Housatonic Boat Club or something like that). Boat ended up in MA, so I will probably change reg as it is up there more often than down here (my dinghy has MA reg). In the yards in the winter, you will see boats reg'd from all over spending the winter. I don't think any state is chasing that stuff down.
Old 08-04-2011

estopa is on a distinguished road
For Milford you don't have to camp out. In fact I saw a few open docks this season. Best way is to email the 'Milford Harbor Commission & Marina' - mfd.landing@snet.net.

City of Milford, CT - Harbor Management Commission & Marina

Note these are floating docks and would require you to dinghy out to. Not that far in fact I just row out and don't bother with an engine.
1986 Oday 222 #686
Old 08-04-2011

Funny i brought my boat from Candlewood Lake. The previous owner used to keep it up there.

Why not come down to Milford for a day and try out the location. Walk the downtown, Milford Landing area, and the various marinas to get a feel.
1986 Oday 222 #686
Old 08-04-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
As I was making this same decision, the most important thing in my mind was the type of sailing I intended to do. Since I knew that most of my trips would be weekend day trips and after work jaunts, I worked hard to find a location that was easily accessable from my home and office, and didn't worry so much about being close to "destinations". If you plan on making at least a weekend out of most of your saiing trips, then eastern Conn and RI are a much better choice: better wind (usually), and many, many more destinations within a short distance. But if you think that a good portion of your sailing will be day trips, then a three hour drive seems like a substantial barrier.

My boat is docked in Branford, Conn (lots of space available in my marina), about 15 minutes from my office and 45 minutes from my house. I would probably sell my boat if I had to drive more than an hour to use it; my family is rarely interested in going on board for more than a few hours at a time, and I wouldn't be able to sneak out after work for a quick hour or two on the water before heading home.
Old 08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
my family is rarely interested in going on board for more than a few hours at a time, and I wouldn't be able to sneak out after work for a quick hour or two on the water before heading home.
Yes as same with me. 5 mins from Home and Work.
1986 Oday 222 #686