Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
No matter how good condition you buy a used boat, it is being sold for a reason. You will pay for that reason for the first season, maybe two. Then I find the maintenance settles down.
JulieMor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
No matter how good condition you buy a used boat, it is being sold for a reason. You will pay for that reason for the first season, maybe two. Then I find the maintenance settles down.
That's what we're finding with our current boat. What we're doing now is mostly replacing half-a$$ed stuff the PO tried to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-11-2011

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Great thread for a person looking into buying a sailboat. Answered a lot of questions I had and gave me a few new things to think about. Hillbilly's .02 cents worth.
Old 06-19-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat Cost of Ownership

At the risk of being flogged for resurrecting an old thread, I'm posting here because this thread has so much great information and I don't want to start the search for those same answers when they have already been answered here.

The OP listed many items that looked to me like he was having the work professionally done. My only experience at owning a boat (Columbia 45) was done vicariously through my father. He wasn't shy about reminding me what everything costs. But that was a lot of years ago.

All maintenance was done by us (me and a friend or two mostly). Materials (and tools, when needed) were the only maintenance expense. And there was the slip and dry dock, no DIY on those costs.

Fuel costs varied on how much traveling we did. We made eight trips from Chicago to Mackinac Island and a couple extended into the North Channel. Time constraints and the desire to make certain destinations could increase fuel costs as the iron genny was the only way we could make it all happen.

I learned a lot about boat maintenance during the 20 years by dad owned the boat. I feel confident I could do pretty much everything I did back then, as long as this aged body lets me. I'm an electrician and a fairly accomplished woodworker. And I have a good mechanical aptitude. But energy is in short supply these days so maybe the big projects I'd farm out. I could do what my dad did and get my kids to do the work. That is if I could hook them on sailing like I was.

Anyway, I'm beginning to seriously look for a boat. For now, I won't be selling the house so it doesn't need to be a tricked out liveaboard or proven bluewater cruiser. Yesterday, while window shopping, a 1980 Landfall 38 popped up with those puppy dog eyes.

Other than checking for a possible wet deck core and inspecting the mechanicals, what do I need to look out for to keep those initial costs down?
Old 06-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The only way I know to try to limit cost is to really understand the story behind the owners use and reason for selling. Surveys and inspections are important but will only tell you what works and doesn't work right now. The real costs are in what needs repair or replacement over the first few years of ownership.

The lowest cost acquisition will be from an owner that used the boat regularly, cares for it like it was their only child and is being forced to sell for health reasons or relocation or something like it. Virtually anyone is going to defer some maintenance, if they truly want to sell or have been trying for some time. If they aren't using it much, they don't even know what they've deferred.

I walked after a survey once that didn't find anything of great significance and the owner was willing to deal with every discrepancy. In most cases, t would have been a slam dunk. However, the story worried me. Many things on the listing inventory were missing, it was clearly being used to race and I even found one of the missing sails at the bottom of their slip. Under water! I boat was ridden hard and out away wet. It wasn't a question of the current condition, it was a question of whatbinwould find later.

I also purchased a boat that was advertised as an 11 out of 10 and probably was. It still required significant work over the first year or two. I think it was too babied and systems atrophied in a sense.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-19-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Owning a sailboat has been the most sound financial decision I have made in my entire life. It has allowed me to own my own home debt free since my early 20s , working only rarely, something impossible on land, spend winters in the South Pacific and Mexico many times, for less money than it would have cost me to stay home.
Expenses of owning my boat?
Moorage, zero. I stay anchored
Heating bills, zero. Woodstove eats for free.
Maintenance, less than $100 a year.
Diesel , under $200 a year.
Old 06-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
.....Maintenance, less than $100 a year.
That doesn't seem possible, if you keep your boat in sailing condition.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 06-19-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That doesn't seem possible, if you keep your boat in sailing condition.
Do your own work.have a rugged,well built boat,with simple systems and its no problem.If you like complexity and lots gadgets then your right.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 06-19-2013

Just soap, parts, paint, epoxy, a screw or two would cost more than $8.33 per month.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 06-19-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just soap, parts, paint, epoxy, a screw or two would cost more than $8.33 per month.
These would be basics you would have to have on board.If you going anywhere with out spares then yes it will cost lots more.