Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailboat Cost of Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3b View Post
These would be basics you would have to have on board.If you going anywhere with out spares then yes it will cost lots more.
I don't follow. They all need to replaced as consumed. While you may get away with stocking up and not having to replace for a while, it will still cost well more than $100 per year over time. For that matter, what does an oil filter and a few quarts of oil cost, how about a gallon of bottom paint?

I would have thought Brent was going to say it was a typo and he meant $1,000 per year. Although, I even question whether that is possible. It's still a tad more realistic for a DIYer, with few issues and perhaps a boat that doesn't sail much or possibly at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Owning a sailboat has been the most sound financial decision I have made in my entire life. It has allowed me to own my own home debt free since my early 20s , working only rarely, something impossible on land, spend winters in the South Pacific and Mexico many times, for less money than it would have cost me to stay home.
Expenses of owning my boat?
Moorage, zero. I stay anchored
Heating bills, zero. Woodstove eats for free.
Maintenance, less than $100 a year.
Diesel , under $200 a year.
I take it you never paint your bottom or buy sails or even the material to make them? No zincs on a steel boat? No steel or welding rods? No topside paint? No new lines - ever?

Come now Brent - being economical with your boats is one thing - being economical with the truth is another.

We are all aware of what boats cost for even minimal maintenance on the cheap. The majority of 35' sailboats take more than $10 THOUSAND a year and you claim to only spend $100? For a liveaboard?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-20-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I built a spreadsheet with tables for the initial purchase, recurring annual expenses, recurring monthly expenses and ongoing maintenance and upkeep expenses. I estimated about $4K/yr in upkeep of the boat. The boat I used for this figure is a 1984 Sabre 34 that looks reasonably well maintained but has the original engine (633 hours, claimed), new sails, newer rigging and electronics in good to very good condition. We'll be checking it out this weekend. (It's not in the water yet. )

All expenses, annually, came to ~$14,600. That included a slip ($4,160), winter storage ($1,970), loan payments ($4,370), utilities, parking and upkeep.

While I don't need fancy gadgets, I do tend to like a well maintained boat. It gives me peace of mind.
Old 06-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I built a spreadsheet with tables for the initial purchase, recurring annual expenses, recurring monthly expenses and ongoing maintenance and upkeep expenses.......
Way to go to make the initial purchase decision. Be sure it fits in your financial picture.

Then throw it out after you buy the boat! It's just a big buzz kill to watch those numbers fill the spreadsheet over time.
SloopJonB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-20-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I built a spreadsheet with tables for the initial purchase, recurring annual expenses, recurring monthly expenses and ongoing maintenance and upkeep expenses. I estimated about $4K/yr in upkeep of the boat. The boat I used for this figure is a 1984 Sabre 34 that looks reasonably well maintained but has the original engine (633 hours, claimed), new sails, newer rigging and electronics in good to very good condition. We'll be checking it out this weekend. (It's not in the water yet. )

All expenses, annually, came to ~$14,600. That included a slip ($4,160), winter storage ($1,970), loan payments ($4,370), utilities, parking and upkeep.

While I don't need fancy gadgets, I do tend to like a well maintained boat. It gives me peace of mind.
That spreadsheet has a very high probability of keeping you from ever owning a boat.

If one looks at the numbers, no-one can afford boats or kids or houses.

Best to just muddle through.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-20-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the numbers are kinda scary but if I'm ready to accept them, then I can buy with a good handle on what I'm getting into.
Old 06-20-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That spreadsheet has a very high probability of keeping you from ever owning a boat.

If one looks at the numbers, no-one can afford boats or kids or houses.

Best to just muddle through.
Just remember it's vacation, school, and all your hobbies combined into one.
Brent Swain and Minnesail like this.
Old 06-20-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I take it you never paint your bottom or buy sails or even the material to make them? No zincs on a steel boat? No steel or welding rods? No topside paint? No new lines - ever?

Come now Brent - being economical with your boats is one thing - being economical with the truth is another.

We are all aware of what boats cost for even minimal maintenance on the cheap. The majority of 35' sailboats take more than $10 THOUSAND a year and you claim to only spend $100? For a liveaboard?
Replaced my jib sheets a couple of years ago after 27 yers and 6 Pacific crossings and the rest cruising 11 months a year in BC . Last painted my bottom in Tonga 10 years ago, having a 5,000 mile sail ahead of me back to BC, mostly to windward. That was also my last haulout. It takes me 15 minutes to scrap the bottom of my twin keeler when aground on most low tides. No need for new bottom paint. I use the free zincs others throw away, so new you can still read the writing on them. Just picked up three more today.
Topside paint ,home hardware "Fishboat" paint costs $28 a gallon. I repaint it every couple of years. I was given 5 gallons of epoxy, but it only costs around $40 a gallon, and a gallon lasts many years doing touchups.
Welding rods are for new projects, mostly for other people , not maintenance ,except for one or two rods a year for welding zincs on.
On a well built steel boat, nothing breaks ,leaks or pulls away.
So what other expenses are you thinking about?
I dont make anywhere near $10,000 a year, total. Never have.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-20-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I dont pay for a slip, never paid winter storage, nor loan payments, nor parking, and very little for upkeep, which I do all myself.
Old 06-20-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

lots

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.