Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sailmon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011

DannyTB is on a distinguished road
First-time Buyer - Some Questions

Hey,
So, I have a great opportunity to get a boat now (timing-wise) and have someone else pay me $2000 per month while I live on it. I'm in SE Asia and I am looking at getting a Beneteau 393. I want something that is big enough to live on, is worth taking to Europe or elsewhere in the years to come, and can accommodate a decent sized number of people.

That said...I have never owned a boat. Unfortunately, the reasonable window for me to purchase this boat is not very large, so I need to make up my mind soon.

I know the local slip costs and I have a good idea on the price. I can pay cash, so financing is not an issue. I figured I could join part of the delivery for some basic training, but I am a bit concerned on that part.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Danny
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Any boat can be a good deal and it all depends upon the condition and the price, so you won't get any applicable advice on that subject here (without adding a lot of information).

Sailing is not rocket science. There are basic training classes available everywhere, numerous very good books on the subject including a "Sailing for Dummies" one (If you are American then the The Annapolis Book of Seamanship, 3rd Edition by John Rousmaniere is a good start). Then get out there and practice, and the rest will take care of itself.

Getting from SE Asia to Europe is a long trip in a sailboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2011
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Don't rush, if you are not ready. Like Zanshin said: Sailing is not rocket science, but it still take time to develop the skills. Good deals come and go, there is always a better deal later.

Whatever you do, get an independent surveyor Good luck.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-05-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
Hello, please explain a little or alot more. "Just the facts, please". I am not sure what you are trying to say. What does the $2000/month have to do with buying the boat ?
Are you going to want to sail the boat to the USA in the future ?
Are you going to live on it in Asia ?
Do you want someone to tell you if the SAILBOAT you are looking at is a good one to buy ? Of course you want to match the number of people to the number of places to sleep. If you have enough money to pay cash for a Beneteau 393, you probably can afford sailing instructions. The Beneteau 393 should/may fit your needs. It is certainly big enough for a first or last boat. Someone in the marina here traveled 1000 miles by car to Buy a Beneteau 393 and sail/motor back 1000 miles because they like the boat so much.
Old 08-05-2011
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Have you spent much time on boats? That will tell more if this is the boat for you than anyone else's opinion. If you haven't, I suggest ging to look at a lot of boats and crewing/sailing as much as possible on as many boats as possible.

The good thing is, if you find you do indeed love the 393 there are plenty of hulls out there so if you miss this one you are very likely to find another.

Our little blog has moved!
Old 08-06-2011
Yarr!

Sailmon is on a distinguished road
don't do it

My guess is you will come to understand the TRUE cost of owning a yacht only after you buy it. My suggestion is to not buy it. Learn to sail, research, and make a sound decision based on what you learn. Rushing in to buying a boat is probably the easiest way to go broke and is definitely not worth it.
Mimsy likes this.
Old 08-07-2011

More info, per Sidney and others:
What does the $2000/month have to do with buying the boat ?
- My current job affords for a $2000/month housing allowance that I can use towards the boat, or towards someone elses apartment/house as rent like I do now. Thought being that $24000 per year, minus slip and maintenance costs is a nice deal for having someone else "pay" for the boat.

Are you going to want to sail the boat to the USA in the future?
- TBD. I'd expect to take it to the Med at some point, or sell prior to that.

Are you going to live on it in Asia?
- Yes. There is a decent local marina here.

Do you want someone to tell you if the SAILBOAT you are looking at is a good one to buy?
- No, not yet. I'll definitely hire an inspector when that time comes, but more so looking for thoughts on the idea. Just to be clear, the timing has nothing to do with a specific boat in question. I have not found a specific boat yet. The timing is more so tied to the $2000/month, as I do not expect to stay in this job forever.

Time on boats?
- I have spent a modest amount of time on similar sized sailboats as well as some fishing boats. A lot? No.

Last edited by DannyTB; 08-07-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I'm in one of those camps that ALWAYS says "BUY IT"! But, then again, I love my sailboat and just about all the other ones out there too. I think moving aboard is a great idea and will be great experience for you (assuming you're single here, right?). As for the "size" you've mentioned, I know people have lived full time on a lot smaller, so only you can determine if it's big enough. Can you "single-hand-it"? Of course....once you know how to single-hand any boat...regardless of size.
Definitely fork out the money and get a survey before you purchase any boat. They can look really nice on surface, to end up be worthless at the end. It's still a buyer's market (at least here in the States it is), so you shouldn't have any issue finding the boat "thats for you". While you're looking, why not ask around and see if anyone's willing to "lease" you their boat? It's been done before.
Old 08-07-2011

Any thoughts on places to look that are anywhere near SE Asia? It seems to be a buyer's market, but most are located in Europe and the Caribbean.
Old 08-07-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Not from me, Danny, as I'm a continental U.S. guy, and even more specific: Florida-centric. Now, if you want to move to the West Coast of Florida, I'm your guy to ask for help...lol