Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Best sailboat?

A couple quick thoughts on the two suggestions. On the Bayfield 32, these boats were notoriously short on stability. It is somewhat masked by their small sail plans and comparatively high inertia. Adding water near or above the waterline, or by way of jerry cans would further destabilize these boats.

The Chris Craft 35 motorsailor from the 1960''s is a wonderful boat. These were basically wooden boats (meaning glassed over plywood decks, mahogany or teak cabin sides and glassed over wooden cabin tops) with fiberglass hulls, so a very careful survey is in order. They sail well for a boat from that era but no one who ever knew these boats would even vaguely suggest that they were fast boats either from their era or by today''s standards.

The Chris Craft 35 from the 1970''s is a completely different boat than the one from the 1960''s. They did not sail all that well and were very poorly constucted. My step father rebuilt one in the 1980''s and described the build quality on these boats as absolute junk.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2003

Magic_Moments is on a distinguished road
Best sailboat?

Jeff_H Thanks for your comments. Especially for setting me straight on the 70''s Chris Craft 35. I have been on a 1964 and 1965 and assumed the 70''s were the same boat and obviously a little knowledge is dangerous.

I probably spent a month obsessing on the Chris Craft 35 before I moved on. Motoring is a fact of life sometimes in our summertime light air (Puget Sound/Strait of Georgia), but I ended up thinking that boat would be to heavy to sail much here except in winter when there is more wind. I thought it might be a good boat for trade wind sailing though.

Ken
Old 11-18-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamron41 View Post
Talk to experienced ocean sailors and they will give you good ideas.

Likewise, talk to experienced surfers and do not revive 5 yr old threads, LOL

J/K, welcome aboard and watch out the "the Dog" when he sees this oldie but goodie

I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-18-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
I'm sure the Dawg will be along fairly soon

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 11-18-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffamc View Post
How experienced are you?
I will be experienced

Are you more afraid of capsizing or sinking?
nope

This sounds like there are more fundamental issues than boat selection.
With all due respect, anyone who has (currently) no or limited experience and who isn't concerned with that fact alone, never mind the potential for flooding or worse, might be better served by being advised to take a few giant steps back.
I always wonder if these are actually questions posed by dreamers with no experience, especially evidenced by the fact you appear to have no clue what kind of boat is suitable. If so, there is nothing wrong with dreaming but that fact might help if you want to get the benefit of any good advice how you might better proceed with your plan.

No offense intended - just being practical
Old 11-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The thread just revived dates to 2003...the OP is long gone.
Old 11-18-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Best sailboat EVER is mine... post will self destruct the next time I read it...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 11-19-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjariBonten View Post

J/K, welcome aboard and watch out the "the Dog" when he sees this oldie but goodie

Don't ya love it when you bring up the fine point that this thread is five years old and no one cares! Kind of like what my wife does to me on ocassion. Why don't you respond to the oldest thread in the forum and see how many numb-nuts drop in for the chat?
Old 11-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've got these guys so well trained...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjariBonten View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
I'm sure the Dawg will be along fairly soon

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-19-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I've got these guys so well trained...
Oh Really???? Maybe we should just send you the link and let you go after them.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--