Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
C&C 33

Hi all,

I need some help.I''ve been looking at upgrading to a larger boat.I sail most of the time single-handed.The particular boat that I''ve been considering is a C&C 33.I had found one that I really liked,but then found out it was already under contract.I''ve found another one that is more of a project boat that I can get at a really good price.My intention is to use this boat as a live-aboard coastal cruiser,with occasional hops over to the Bahamas,and possibly on down into the Caribbean.I would like to hear some opinions from you guys on this boat and it''s intended purpose.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
C&C 33

Stede,
I assume you are interested in a Mark I (1975-1978 vintage) since you haven''t referenced 33 II. If so, the 33 is an well made racer/cruiser with the emphasis on performance. I buddy of mine has owned one happily for 22 years - his boat still looks as good as new, has had no structural issues or significant repairs and the A4 stills runs strong. If the limitations in terms of headroom and storage are OK to you (not a lot of room down below...), the 33 is a nice boat, and IMHO a far better build than most newer boats.
You should get on the C&C email lists where I''m sure the marque''s many passionate owners will provide whatever specifics may help you.

Old 08-13-2003

C&C 33

Sailingfool,

Thanks for the info.Yes,it is the Mark 1 that I''m looking at.(1975) I''ll take your suggestion and hook up with the C&C email lists.
Old 08-14-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
C&C 33

Practical Sailor also had some nice things to say about the C&C 33 in their Used Boat Buyers Guide. We enjoy seeing the one in our harbor, moored next to us. They have pretty lines and proportions so that even if the boat itself is "tired", they still look good.
Old 08-14-2003

C&C 33

PaulK,

Thanks for the info.on the C&C 33.I found the article on the boat by PS and enjoyed reading their comments.I''ve not been aboard the boat I''ve been looking at.The broker recently told me that the boat has what he referred to as an "Cutter Stay" going straight down through the forward deck of the boat,through the V-berth,and all the way down to the keel where it''s attached.He mentioned that it''s kind of intrusive (yeah,I don''t think I want to be straddling a %&%!!!**#@# stay all night), and he also mentioned that most owners remove it and blank the opening off with a plate.He kept saying that the boat is a blue water boat.The other C&C 33''s I looked at didn''t have this on them.The boat isn''t cutter rigged,but apparently this a feature C&C added for more support of the mast in rough seas? I can''t find any information about it.Is anyone familiar with this?
Old 08-15-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
C&C 33

I would never call a C&C a "blue water boat". They were racer cruisers plan and simple, aomed at club level racing and coastal cruising. They were good boats for those purposes but require big crews to race well.

The stay that you refer to as a "cutter stay" is probably a "Baby Stay". Baby stays were added to boats in the 1970''s and into the 1980''s as a way to induce mastbend into masthead rig boats and as a way to eliminate pumping as masts began to become lighter and more bendy. They were predominantly a racing piece of hardware that made short-handed sailing more difficult. They are usually too far aft to successfully fly a storm staysail. While I have not been on a C&C 33 with the Baby stay removed in rough going, I would suspect that you would want to leave the babystay rigged in rough going to keep pumping in check.

For the record, there is no such boat part known as a "cutter stay" and your broker''s use of the term, when added to his suggestion that the C&C 33 makes me suspect that he is not all that knowledgeable.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 08-15-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
C&C 33

The description of a "cutter stay" is bizarre. The 33 was rigged for a babystay as described by Jeff, but that stay simply terminates on a track on the foredeck.
What this sounds like is a second forestay installed to carry a storm sail. If so, such would not normally be left rigged, as opposed to being setup when needed. Anything coming thru the V berth won''t connect to the keel, as the front of the keel begins somewhere aft of the head.
Whatever, if you pursue this boat, be sure that the surveyor looks extra carefully at this setup, as an owner-installed rigging enhancement can be a major red-flag for messing a boat up in a big way.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2003

C&C 33

Thanks for the info.Jeff_H and Sailingfool. I had never heard of the term "Cutter Stay"used before either.My take on the broker is that he''s more of a powerboater guy than a sailboater.Maybe the stay was something an owner added.I''ve not seen it on any other 33''s.Even though the broker referred to the boat as an blue water boat, I never considered it as one.My intention was to use her for coastal crusing,hops to the Bahamas,and maybe a trip down to the Caribbean via "the thorny path." Anyway,I''m having second thoughts about this boat in particular,so I guess I have some more looking to do. Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2003

chuckg is on a distinguished road
C&C 33

C&C outfitted many of their racer/cruisers with a baby stay as has been noted. Having any stay on the foredeck means that you either have to walk the clew around the stay when tacking (as a bowman on a C&C 40 racer I can attest to doing this numerous times) or you can furl the sail and reset it on the opposite tack. You can ignore this on a 100% Jib somewhat but you will certainly notice more wear and tear on your headsail if you don''t walk it around the stay. Since these boats are typically headsail driven, using a small headsail doesn''t help performance at all. Most C&C''s of that era like big genoas and will carry them even when its blowing.
Old 08-22-2003

C&C 33

Chuckg,

Thanks for the info.I''ve backed out of the deal on the particular C&C 33 I was looking at,but not on the C&C''s.I bet that was a blast racing on the C&C 40!