Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003

jpeggleton is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26M

Has anyone bought a Mac 26M? Any comments to share? Any tips on buying from internet sites?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2003

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26M

MacGregor is a boat that many will say is poorly built.

I say if you compare its rigging, mast, and other fittings to other boats in its size range you will draw the same conclusion.

I think you can do better for the same money.

Old 08-18-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26M

The MacGregor 26 is neither a coastal boat, a racer, nor a live-aboard. It is, however a great trailer boat.

She''s water-ballasted which means that the water can be drained from the boat and the ballast doesn''t have to be hauled along behind the car. She''s self-righting and unsinkable. She''s shallow draft (15" with the keel up, 5''7" down) to sail you in close to the shore of your favorite lake.

If you have room for the trailor, you don''t have to pay slip fees. The mast can be stepped by one person with a block and tackle and a purchase rod. I put a jib downhaul and a boom vang on mine.

She has an enclosed head for a port-a-pot and a lot of room for 4 or 5 to sit and sleep in. You can stand up straight in her at anchor with the cabin top raised. And you can get MacGregor''s vinyl cabin cover with windows to cowl in the cabin top from rain and wind. In fact I would say the Mac 26 has easily twice the interior room of other boats its length. And she sails like a much bigger boat.

At one time the stainless steel keel pendant rusted through and I replaced it during a lunch haul-out. That''s the only time she''s had to be hauled.

The Mac 26 definitely very well fills a niche amoung boaters. I once sailed a friends MacGregor on 90-mile wide, 5-foot deep Lake Okeechobee. We were the only sailboat on it. The only reason I would ever sell my Mac would be to get a blue-water boat.

Charles
Old 08-25-2003

adjan is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26M

All good points. I am particularly interested in the new mods made to the 26M as opposed to the older boats. Does anyone have experience or opinions of these? Is the new boat significantly better than the older one?

Good sailing
Old 09-02-2003

krvaught1 is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26M

adjan,

It really is a personal taste as to which is better. I do have a new 26M and I feel that it is a huge step up from the 26X (larger engine, forward head, carpeted sides, etc...). The interior room is outstanding and it sails and powers excellent. I live in an area that may have little wind at times so my 70 hp Suzuki can get me home on a sunday afternoon in a hurry. Yes the 26M has up to 70hp rating! As to the previous messages, I feel that for the price the macgregor is an exceptional value with many boats still looking like new 10 years after they were sold! Furthermore, the other trailerables are too slow and offer no cabin space. I encourage all to at least look at this boat before they buy any other trailerable. For all you purests out there, Stop pouting when I fly by you at 20 knots and smile.
Old 09-03-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26M

krvaught1,

What do you call a boat like that? A Bi-boat?,Wind-hammer?,Sailski?,Jetsail?,or possibly Morphahull? Don''t worry, if you past me doing 20 knots I won''t be pouting,I''ll be laughing ;^)
Old 09-04-2003

krvaught1 is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26M

Need I say more? You sound like you care too much Stede. Stop pouting and understand that there are people out there that want to do both (power/sail). The Mac is a great boat for those people. If I were only looking at sailing then I would not buy the mac either. I would probably be in a Dana 24 or something that is built for a lifetime. Good sailing to you!
Old 09-04-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26M

krvaught1,

Hey, I always say to "each his own." However,if you thought you were going to come aboard a sailing forum,make a wise-crack about "blowing by the pouting purist sailors at 20 knots" with your big ole 70 hp Suzuki, and not get a response,then you''re stranger than your convertible "does everything boat." Good motor-sailing to you!
Old 09-04-2003

doubleplay is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26M

Well said Stede..
This is a sailors forum and anybody who enjoys sailing would not care if you fly by them or not...personally I dont...
If you want a planning hull go out there and buy a yourself a properly built speed boat and if you want to sail buy a sailboat and slow down..
Respectfully,
Al
Old 09-04-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
MacGregor 26M

I am laughing so hard that this guy thinks his big motor makes him a great sailor! Does the word "compensate" come to anyone else''s mind?