Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003

NbyNW is on a distinguished road
Scandanavian Opportunity

I am new to sailing and in the middle of a 5 year post outside Stockholm, Sweden. Am working on getting started in sailing and sailing with friends, chartering, etc. but eventually want to buy a boat here and bring it back to the states where I would sail in new england.
I would like to take advantage of the fact I am here and get something that is unique to this part of the world but would last my family (wife and 2 small kids) the next 15 - 20 years.
Could maybe spend low 6 figures and might even try and do something stupid like recruit some more experienced guys to sail it home.
Thoughts on how to approach this? I should add I am not a complete landlubber as I have windsurfed for 20 years offshore cape hatteras, maui, etc. so I know a bit of sailing tiny rigs in big water, but recognize there is a lot to learn with a boat.
Advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
Scandanavian Opportunity

It''s probably hard for any here to help you: mostly USA sailors here. Although my brother lives in Oslo (in fact my Dad''s boat is there now, for sale!) and I have visited, I don''t know what Scandinavia is like in terms of sailing clubs, etc. Normally if you were here you''d join a yacht- or sailing-club and volunteer crew in races and get invited cruising: that would be experience-building. I do know that you can get some fabulous, fast, well-built Scandinavian and English boats over there for a good deal that would be perfect to sail trans-Atlantic.

Why not look around for a club? Scandinavia has some amazing cruising grounds: a gorgeous place to learn.

Stacey
www.sailnamaste.com
Old 08-21-2003

NbyNW is on a distinguished road
Scandanavian Opportunity

I have noticed that its mostly US sailors talking about US boats. But I guess someone out there might know something about some of the lesser known scandanavian boats like linnjett and finngulf for example.
My plan is to get some experience this year and next and perhaps look for a used hallberg-rassy in the 34 foot range or so. You can have these for around 150 K and they are a true blue water boat that I could use for years with my wife and 2 daughters.
Tons of info here - but it is all in Swedish and my knowledge of lesser used swedish words (ie boat terms) is not that great!