Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
This is so untrue that your response may actually be a liability issue. The distribution of static weight and dynamic stresses are totally different for a trailer. With a trailer the stress is concentrated at one point far behind the rear axle (the hitch ball), which makes the dynamics of the car when turning and/or stopping totally different.

It's a very common fallacy to dismiss facts that you don't understand as "lawyer talk." If your car's manufacturer has not rated your vehicle for towing a trailer, that may mean that your car has either not been tested, or it was tested and failed. Neither is a good scenario.

You may be OK towing your trailer. But don't let strangers mislead you about the potential risks. If you're checking websites, make sure the advice you are getting is from people who are using your exact same car to tow a trailer that is at least as heavy as yours. Otherwise you're being misled by worthless Internet gossip.
It's a uniquely American view that you have to have a larger car (or more commonly, a pickup or SUV) specifically designed for towing. The fact is, his Mazda towing 300lb (trailer to car weight ratio : about 1:8) will stop and corner far better than any pick up towing a 3000lb boat (ratio about 1 to 1.5).

Of course you have to take the trailer into account when cornering and braking. But that's common to any trailer/car combination.

Are you saying that Curt, the biggest and most reputable hitch manufacturer in the world, didn't test that hitch they are selling is safe for towing up to 2000 lbs?
Old 08-17-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Of course if you really want to tow a boat properly.. you do it like this :

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me "do you tow that boat with that Jag?"...

Last edited by MarkSF; 08-17-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
...Are you saying that Curt, the biggest and most reputable hitch manufacturer in the world, didn't test that hitch they are selling is safe for towing up to 2000 lbs?
Actually, yes, as someone who has bought hitches from Curt, Reese, and Draw-Tite before, I am saying that when Curt sells a hitch for a car that is not rated for pulling a trailer, they do actually tell you not to pull a trailer with it. Hitches are also used for bike racks and other non-trailer attachments. So when you buy a hitch for a non-trailering car, they tell you to only use it for bike racks and similar attachments.

They also tell you that the load capacity is limited by the LOWER of the hitch or the vehicle. So if you buy a 2000 lb hitch that goes on a car that is rated to tow only 1000 lb, they tell you to pull no more than 1000 lb.

I'm not telling this guy not to trailer his little boat. But he needs to realize that he is operating outside the recommended uses of his vehicle and take special precautions, and be prepared for his insurance company to deny collision, comprehensive, and liability(!) coverage if he has an accident.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-18-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
If you haven't bought the trailer, you might consider putting the laser on a roof rack...I used to carry the laser on the roof when we needed to bring along a another boat on the trailer, like a 420.
Old 08-18-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The insurance company DENYING coverage is a bunch of hoo haw and baloney! All he has to do is say he is towing to the insurance company, the adjust if any his policy amount, away he goes! He may get cancelled AFTER the accident assuming it is his fault. no different than a DUI or equal.

I've towed too many miles over a manufactures amount, it is not funny. ALL of it legal per the LEO/CVEO's that enforce the road laws. NOW< a civil suit MIGHT BE< and WILL BE a different scenario. BUT< from the standpoint of of an LEO, they do not know his or my trucks tow rating(s), so as long as the car is stable, stopping in the appropriate lengths they will test you at the side of the road etc. your legal as far as they are concerned.

The hitch manufactures are recomending a no tow or lower of limit, as the hitch manufacture is not willing to stretch THEIR neck out to say towing with said rig is safe or what ever is limiting the rig from getting a tow rating per say from the manufacture.

Marty
Old 08-18-2011

theuselessone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
If you haven't bought the trailer, you might consider putting the laser on a roof rack...I used to carry the laser on the roof when we needed to bring along a another boat on the trailer, like a 420.
I'm not sure about the roof rack, seems as though my car's roof is a bit short to adequately support the length of a laser on it.
Old 08-18-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Putting a boat on the roof will take more energy/gas/fuel etc, than towing a trailer due to wind resistance! In reality, putting it on the roof may also cause more overheating etc. than towing a small trailer behind!

If you can find yourself a small aluminum trailer, at a reasonable cost vs a steel one, that should put your overall wt down to a minimum, car should be able to handle it etc.

Not sure personally which would be worst, a hitch with 100 lbs of bikes etc, or a 400 lb trailer with 40-60 lbs of Hitch wt, and the rest behind from a handling standpoint! I think I would go with the trailer for being safer etc.

Marty
Old 08-18-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I think that if this guy can tow a boat, you'll be fine:

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 08-18-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by theuselessone View Post
I'm not sure about the roof rack, seems as though my car's roof is a bit short to adequately support the length of a laser on it.
You might get opinions on roof carry from laser owners with similar cars here: Laser Talk | SailingForums.com
Old 08-18-2011

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road
There are definitely small cars with towing capabilities as good as the minivans people seem to want to use to tow dinghys. I've towed 400lbs of Hobie Tiger on a ~1000lb trailer with both a 2002 VW Golf (2.0L, not turbo, 115hp) and a 2003 VW Jetta (1.8T with sport suspension, ~170hp). Both were rated to tow 2000lbs (manual transmissions). The automatic transmission ratings were lower but still at least 1000lbs.

The only difficulty is ignoring stares from people, especially those who realize that the space between the hulls is almost wider than the car. It makes a really weird visual effect (hull, air, car, air, hull). I now have a 2.0T VW GTI that does better than 30 mpg unless I'm really enjoying it It doesn't tow because the 03 Jetta is doing just fine. The Audi A4 has the same engine turned 90 degrees. I've known a few people with them and mileage is generally pretty good. At the extreme with all in city driving in a Canadian February cold snap the mileage in the Golf might've been as bad as 20mpg. In my experience, the 1.8T and 2.0T are never as thirsty as that 2.0.

It really depends on the car and manufacturer. If there's no tow rating, don't tow with that car. E.g., the Ford Fusion is larger and more powerful than my old Golf but is not rated for towing.