Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Back in its day, the 70's, the SJ-21 was an inexpensively-built boat. Hull to deck joint was mediocre.
OTOH, real Good sailor and fast, being a big dinghy-shape with a sit-down interior.
Better built & rigged than a Venture or a Clipper Marine, to name a couple from lower down that list.
The thing is, you can buy scads of boats from that era for under $2000., that are more easily certified as ready to sail and enjoy.

You've already read some great advice here, and I would only echo the reply about getting a survey on that boat (and any other you buy, even for near-free), for the education alone.

Good luck,

LB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2011

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rundugrun View Post
Thanks so much for the advice... The SJ21 does have known issues with the deck (water damage) and keel. I found an accredited marine surveyor (SAM) who is only about 75 minutes from Indianapolis and therefore much more reasonable in price. I've decided to go that route as I don't want to be stuck with a major hidden problem. Although $3500 - 4000 isn't much for a sail boat, it means a bit to me, so the $300 or so spent on the surveyor makes sense for peace of mind.

Thanks Again!

Doug
If it is that close you might be able to leave a deposit with the owner, and trailer it to the survey. That might save you some money.
Old 08-19-2011
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice... The SJ21 does have known issues with the deck (water damage) and keel. I found an accredited marine surveyor (SAM) who is only about 75 minutes from Indianapolis and therefore much more reasonable in price. I've decided to go that route as I don't want to be stuck with a major hidden problem. Although $3500 - 4000 isn't much for a sail boat, it means a bit to me, so the $300 or so spent on the surveyor makes sense for peace of mind.

Thanks Again!

Doug
Going rate to survey a boat that size with travel is about $500, so if he's doing it for $300 you are getting a very good deal. I just hope he does a good survey for you. Sometimes you get what you pay for. He should be there for at least a few hours and your report should be very detailed...especially if he's accredited through SAMS. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
SJ21s are relatively simple boats. They do not have a lot of systems. The hull is solid FRP with a cored deck. A survey is not going to teach you much about this boat that you would not be able to easily figure out on your own if you have prior sailing experience. The cost for the survey would be a waste of money in my opinion for a $3,500 boat that is pretty much what you see is what you get. Although $3,500 is steep for that boat. I would expect new rigging, sails and engine for that price.

Use SailingDog's inspection list and do the survey yourself.

Here is the SJ21 list. Jim Hubbard's San Juan 21 Sailing Page

They are fun to sail. I had mine for 4 years in Casco bay. Unfortunately there are not many in this end of the country so no active racing fleets.

BTW, I sold mine for $1,200 in 2002 and it was in very good condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 08-19-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-19-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Yep, survey it yourself!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 08-19-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
SJ21s are relatively simple boats. They do not have a lot of systems. The hull is solid FRP with a cored deck. A survey is not going to teach you much about this boat that you would not be able to easily figure out on your own if you have prior sailing experience. The cost for the survey would be a waste of money in my opinion for a $3,500 boat that is pretty much what you see is what you get. Although $3,500 is steep for that boat. I would expect new rigging, sails and engine for that price.

Use SailingDog's inspection list and do the survey yourself.

Here is the SJ21 list. Jim Hubbard's San Juan 21 Sailing Page

They are fun to sail. I had mine for 4 years in Casco bay. Unfortunately there are not many in this end of the country so no active racing fleets.

BTW, I sold mine for $1,200 in 2002 and it was in very good condition.
What he said. Educate yourself about the boat, get an experienced boat buddy, and the two of you go over the boat yourselves thoroughly. A disinterested 3rd party (your experienced boat buddy) will help you see the boat with an unemotional view.

That being said, there's no way in hell that I'd pay $4,000 for a 21' boat that had deck core and keel issues.

For Christ's sake, I just paid $4,000 for a 30 foot boat that is completely dry, and has almost no issues of any kind aside from tired sails! You can do better.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-19-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I'm going to pile on here I'm sure it seems, but two things; for a basic day sailor of that vintage, $3500.00 is a LOT in this current economy. I can show you plenty of 27-30 boats in that range that are ready to sail. Of course I know nothing about Indianapolis, so I'll defer to your knowledge as to availability.

$300.00 is definitely a fair price for a survey, done right, but I'd also agree with posters that think it's something you can do for yourself, in a boat this size. Whatever makes you feel the most comfortable is the best decision there, I think. Good luck and keep us posted. We look forward to seeing a "Happy New Sailboat Day" thread in the near future.
Old 08-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Only the OP can really assess their own ability to survey this boat themselves. I suspect all those that suggest it be done by the OP have all owned boats for many years and perhaps bought and sold several. I'm not sure if I picked up whether this is the OP's first boat. Odds are, however, if they were comfortable in having the skills to do so, they wouldn't have posted this question at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-19-2011

rundugrun is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice... this is my first boat as an owner but have sailed a sj21 when I was a kid in Puerto Rico. I have 25 yrs of bareboating experience but am a beginner when it comes to maintenance and systems. This SJ 21 has brand new sails, paint, lines, rigging, etc. Most SJ21 in good shape fetch $3000 - Hubbard's website has a for sale section for reference... that price also includes a trailer with new tires.
The fact that she has been re-cored can be a good thing since that is a real common SJ21 problem. Hopefully the surveyor can tell if it was done correctly. You can find the boat description on Indianapolis Craigslist and let me know your thoughts... I don't know how to post links using my DROID yet... Thanks again,everyone.
Also, the boat is currently being sailed regularly- so I think it's "dry"... if not, I hope the surveyor finds the evidence.
Thanks

Doug
Old 08-21-2011

croozhound is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most SJ21 in good shape fetch $3000 - Hubbard's website has a for sale section for reference...
Most XYZ in good shape have "asking prices" of $_____ is a more rational look at the market. The selling price and the asking price are two different things. What some of the other posters were hinting at is in "this market" and "this economy" the selling price can be quite different.

Sure, there will be sellers who hold out, and they often remain sellers.

Sure, you can buy a boat at the asking price too.

Bareboating you might not have heard "the two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys the boat, and the day he sells it"

Tags
marine surveyor , san juan 21

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.