Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011

Leli is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys for your feedback!

It seems that everything depends on what you choose to have onboard and the maker. I had the impression that electronics do not last longer than 8 yrs... that good news! Yes, I think 10k is the average expenditure when aiming for an MFD, wind/speed/depth/temp instruments, some repeaters, a GPS receiver, an autopilot, Radar, and a VHF system. The size of the yacht also affects the cost of electronics...

Thanks again,
Leli
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leli View Post
..................The size of the yacht also affects the cost of electronics...
This may be the practice and the choice, but not often a necessity. Cetaintly, Depth sounders, radars, GPS and VHF do not function differently depending on the size of the boat with the exception of some lengths of wiring runs, but that's not cost significant. The size and expense of the auto pilot can be related to size, with the exception of big boats with hydraulic steering that can use "smaller" auto pilots with less mechanical force. Most often I see people with more freedom to spend do spend more, but not out of necessity. My cost of electronics is more closely related to my "over forty" eyesight and desire to read my bigger screen without my reading glasses!Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-25-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
I've always been more of a KISS sailor, never been a big fan of electronics on a boat - working with computers all day was more than enough - I went out on the water to get away from phones, radios, gizmos etc. A sounder, a Windex and telltales were enough for me

Now having said that and having done a fair bit of cruising on a friends boat with a big Raymarine chart plotter at the helm, I absolutely HAVE to have one, the biggest I can afford. That C80 is absolutely magical! I was never a big fan of navigating, always preferred the boathandling - navigation was just a necessity (the islands, currents, tides and waters here are a navigators nightmare). Having a big plotter on board reduces the essential navigation to occasional cross checks to ensure the plotter is still telling the truth.

If your sailing area requires you to have your chart in the cockpit with you, you will absolutely LOVE a big plotter, trust me.

I regard them as the navigational equivalent of fiberglass for boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-25-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
...We had a Raynav LORAN that was 20 years old but worked extremely well as a back-up for our GPS devices but of course the Feds killed LORAN to support the welfare state.
... and just think of all those skilled instrument makers who were left high and dry when the Navy (not to mention the Army and Air Force) stopped buying sextants. The nerve of them!!

And, come to think of it, where did all the all the money go that the military doesn't spend on radial aircraft engines, cannonballs, sabers, and carbon paper??? Well? WELL???

(I would have replied sooner, but it's a bit difficult operating a computer with a fountain pen.)
mitiempo and SloopJonB like this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Tags
electronics , total cost of ownership