Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011

Grand River Raider is on a distinguished road
A local company

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Sorry for the delay--been away--but it looks like you've been covered. But no, never heard of Dry Boat. I thought that the decks on Pearsons, of the late 80's at least, had no core out at the toerail and for a couple of inches in.

Tossed my gaskets and just bedded with butyl--the gaskets will always allow too much flex.
No problem. I went to see that Pearson 31-2 last week. It appears that DryBoat was a local company. The owner had a surveyor oversee the entire process and he took before and after moisture readings. They claim it was all fixed, but I was not impressed with some of the after procedure moisture readings in his partial survey report and when I stepped on the deck just to starboard of the mast I could feel flex and hear a crackling noise. The rest of the deck seemed solid.

The P31-2 was a sharp little cruiser, but I think it was a little to small in terms of accomodations. The saloon was nicely laid out for a 31 foot boat, but the V-berth was too tight for 2 in my opinion. Also, the cockpit was also a little smaller than what I wanted, so I'm further narrowing down my search and I'm now focusing in on the early-mid 1980's Pearson 34's. The extra 3 feet allows for a larger cockpit. I've only been on one example, so I will have to check the V-berth more closely for space.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2011

Another strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Personally, If the boat is overall in good shape, but as mentioned, electronics and sails are old.....you have the chance to put in what YOUR WANT! not what is already there! You may find yourself hooked up with a local YC< doing some club racing. have brand new dacron sails, and in two years are buying some pentex sails! With old ones, those could be the cruise daysail sails, or you buy a decent pentex/string main as I have, get some race sails, and a cruise jib as i wanted, not what they wanted! Electronics were the same on my boat, old, sorta worked, I put in what I wanted.

It was more fun in my book doing it this route. And yes, the boat was price accordingly!

Marty

Yes, Marty, this would be another good way to do it if the boat is priced accordingly to start with and is definitely something to consider, especially when electronics go out of date so quickly and will likely need replacing on many of the boats available. Of the examples of the Pearson 34's on the market now, the lower priced versions tend to have the 16 hp Universal diesels. A bit of a concern for underpowering and not so easily replaced as a set of sails.
Old 09-22-2011

Beam and Displacement Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
Although I can't specifically speak for Sabre but I think you will find a common difference with most sailboat builders from models in the 70's to early 80's vs late 80's to 90's.
Older sailboats tend to have a modest beam but heavy displacement vs a wide beam but light displacement (compared to older models). Both will have a different feel while sailing and it becomes a personal preference.
It is a buyers market right now so you will be able to take advantage of some good deals... but good built sailboats will not drop a whole lot. I was thinking of getting a larger sailboat this year with a budget of $35k-$40k (Always loved the older Tartan 37s) but everyone I looked at within this range needed work or was not maintain well. Realistic budget would have been more like $55k plus some extra money for upgrades / rigging refit, etc..
Good luck!
Yes, you can see the change in design for some of these boats in the mid to late 1980's from narrower beam-heavier displacement to wider beam-lighter (relatively) displacement. For example, Pearson 35 has a beam of 10' while a 36-2 (production started in 1985) is over 12 feet.

The Tartan 37's appear to be very nice boats and have quite a following, but a well kept example will be north of 60K.

I'm focusing in on the 34-35 foot range looking at Pearsons and maybe some of the Ericsons, but there are fewer of these nearby. I like the Sabre 34's, but they are pricier and seemingly harder to find in a shallow draft at this point. Checked out the C & C's, but aesthetically they are not pleasing to me.
Old 09-22-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand River Raider View Post
The Tartan 37's appear to be very nice boats and have quite a following, but a well kept example will be north of 60K.
I happen to be very fond of them
Old 09-22-2011

The joy of a good relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I happen to be very fond of them
And that is a good thing or it would make for a less than satisfying relationship with your boat! I had scheduled a showing of a T37 in Maine, but cancelled it as I wasn't sure a 37 footer was such a great idea for a first boat. Of course, opinions of other sailors ranged from start small and work your way up to "go for it." I may still go look at one that is for sale nearby, but it may be a stretch for a first boat.
Old 09-22-2011

Nay, go for it! We went from a crappy little 20' Buccaneer (value= $500) to the T37 and more than pleased we did so...I was able to eliminate twofootitis. You can always make up grades to a boat as you go, but its really hard to add 2 feet here and there LOL
Old 09-22-2011

Quote:
Nay, go for it! We went from a crappy little 20' Buccaneer (value= $500) to the T37 and more than pleased we did so...I was able to eliminate twofootitis. You can always make up grades to a boat as you go, but its really hard to add 2 feet here and there LOL
Unless you are really into serious fiberglass work!

Eliminating two- to three footitis has been one of the criteria. I'm starting to settle into the idea of a boat in the 34-35 ft range (I like the Pearson 34), but my eye still wanders a bit to the T37. Obviously you love your boat and most T37 owners do, but do you find the interior a bit dark and gloomy with all the teak? I've not been on a T37, but I've been on a few T33 with all teak interiors and while the wood is beautiful, it also makes for a dark (and perhaps adds to the perception of a cramped) interior.
Old 09-22-2011

I love wood, dark woods especially, so no I doesn't bother me at all. To each their own. Some owners have lightened the interior in different ways, most often around the ports either painting or replacing the teak. I replaced my headliner a few years ago with a semi gloss white.

The Pearson's are fine yachts, a marina neighbor has a P33, I love it.
Old 09-22-2011

Quote:
I love wood, dark woods especially, so no I doesn't bother me at all. To each their own. Some owners have lightened the interior in different ways, most often around the ports either painting or replacing the teak. I replaced my headliner a few years ago with a semi gloss white.

The Pearson's are fine yachts, a marina neighbor has a P33, I love it.
Absolutely, to each their own. I really love dark woods too in general. The headliner is a nice way to brighten the space a bit...was your previous headliner dark?

The P33 has fairly similar lines to the older 34, but the layout in the 34 is more traditional. Both nice boats. I also was on a very well kept 1972 P35. The boat had a huge cockpit, but the narrower beam typical of boats of that era and the galley stretched across the companionway and stairs...not sure I could get used to people walking through the cooking area
Old 09-23-2011

The OEM headliner was just faded and dirty, replacing was pretty simple and low cost = good value