Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011

Grand River Raider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Otherwise, frankly, look at the maintenance of the boat vs brand. Not that it has been mentioned, but after 20-30 yrs, you will find some badly built Hunters that will be better overall than a GREATLY built swan of that vintage.....assuming you look hard enough!

Reality is, ANY of the major producton built brands from that era will be good. Try to figure out boat style and type vs brand. Ericson has some race/cruisers, and some that were just plain cruisers! The latter would not be a first choice for me and how I sail. But I know of a fellow across puget sound that luvs his E30Cruiser! He wrote and had published a review int he most recent issue of Cruising World. He also writes for GOB too. I personally look for race/crusiers.

I would also not look too bad on A4's, they seem to be good motors for what they were designed and intended to do etc.

Marty

Marty,

Thanks. I think I'm getting some consensus that all of these buiders make a solid product and that the maintenance history and sailing characteristics for my particular needs will be more important. There are probably lemons and gems in the production line for any builder.

I'm with you...I think I would prefer a racer/cruiser.

GRR
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Some folks even RACE them, (sorry Mark - had to add that) like my former slipmate.
But race them well?? I'm working on that.

Quote:
ANY of the major producton built brands from that era will be good.
True. I've owned 2 Sabres and worked for two Catalina dealers so I know the brands well. The reality is that the boats listed have sold thousands and are perfectly fine for the 99.99% of conditions that we experience. The crew tends to give up far sooner than the boat. Two weeks ago, we sailed Gov Cup upwind in 22 kts (sustained) and 2' seas for 20 hours. Palmetto Moon (C36) endured the same conditions and arrived just as safely as us, but later

Find the boat that suits your pocketbook and tickles your fancy, then buy it. They're all good. BTW, Sabre 38's of mid 80's vintage in good conditions are about $40k higher than the budget listed. Not sure what a 34 would go for.
Old 08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Find the boat that suits your pocketbook and tickles your fancy, then buy it. They're all good. BTW, Sabre 38's of mid 80's vintage in good conditions are about $40k higher than the budget listed. Not sure what a 34 would go for.
Sabreman,

Yep, 38's are above the range and probably a little more boat than I want at this point. Several 34's on the market within my price range, but all have the deeper draft from what I've seen so would have to wait for a Sabre 34.

Most importantly, I just want to find a well-cared for older boat that has no major build issues. Looks like I'll have plenty of solid choices.

Thanks,

GRR
Old 08-28-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand River Raider View Post
Sabreman,

Most importantly, I just want to find a well-cared for older boat that has no major build issues. Looks like I'll have plenty of solid choices.

Thanks,

GRR
Your headed in the right direction
Old 08-28-2011

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
GRR: As an Ericson owner call me biased... BUT as I have read Ericson was more an Oldsmobile in a Chevy market.... they were a little to high quality to compete price wise. Bruce King the designer was very well respected, a lot of attention to detail, just look at the interiors etc. Browse around at ericsonyachts.org ask questions, Martin King, (Bruce Kings son) is active there and knows all about design and build features. A 27 ,my boat, for a long time held the record between S.F. and Japan. They are beautiful high quality boats.
Old 08-28-2011

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
GRR: As an Ericson owner call me biased... BUT as I have read Ericson was more an Oldsmobile in a Chevy market.... they were a little to high quality to compete price wise. Bruce King the designer was very well respected, a lot of attention to detail, just look at the interiors etc. Browse around at ericsonyachts.org ask questions, Martin King, (Bruce Kings son) is active there and knows all about design and build features. A 27 ,my boat, for a long time held the record between S.F. and Japan. They are beautiful high quality boats.
Mikel1,

Appreciate the input on Ericson and I will check out the owner's website. Now if I can just get a Pearson advocate to chime in we'll have come full circle on this thread.

One of the things that turned me on to the 35-III was its reputation for having a bit of speed. I think the PHRF for New England for the shoal version of this boat is 132. Also, I read the comment of a previous 35-3 owner on another site saying that the boat is very fast for what it is. It would be nice to have a cruiser with some speed. And she is a good looking boat to boot.

I have a friend/colleague who had an old Ericson 27 a number of years ago. Only went out on it once and I don't remember a great deal about it. He was always fixing one thing or another on it, but I think that was a matter of it simply being an old boat. Nothing major that I can recall.

GRR
Old 08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Your headed in the right direction
Good to know the compass is working.
Old 08-28-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
All the boats mentioned would be absolutely fine, and as others have said and said well, at 20-30 years old, maintenance by previous owners is the whole show. Pearson is easily on this list, and maybe a few C&C's and even J-boats should be as well.
Old 08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
All the boats mentioned would be absolutely fine, and as others have said and said well, at 20-30 years old, maintenance by previous owners is the whole show. Pearson is easily on this list, and maybe a few C&C's and even J-boats should be as well.
Puddinlegs,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know much about J-boats. I thought they were racers that sacrificed a lot of stability for speed. I will have to research them more. Thanks.

GRR
Old 08-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
J's might very well fit your need. IIRC the 35 or 35c would make good cruisers. Even the 37/37c. The c at the end just means IIRC that they have a bit nicer interior. along with it is easier to find a shoal draft version. The C versions will be a bit more money. Good old boat about a year or so ago did an article on a 32 ie July/August 2010. I could probably scan that review. The other boat is a Jeanneau Arcadia. an attalia is simalar, but about 2' longer, and a different designer. Then a sunshine 36/38 is a longer version, same designer as teh Arcadia. Sailing mag also has many reviews of some older boats too.

CS from that era also have a nice boat too. A dock/yc mate bought a 36 merlin last summer. Nice boat, look up Dejonda on here, along with mitempo? sp? has a CS 30, also Castro designs like the Arcadia, and sunshine boats.

Marty