Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
GRR, why shop in Annapolis?

A well-maintained, Great Lakes sailed, Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau, or Ericson or Sabre would be better value than an East Coast saltwater-sailed Sabre. The boats may the same age, but the lake boat will have half as much usage, no hurricane exposure, annual haul-outs, less UV damage, no saltwater exposure, and will be about the same price, or less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011
Bali Hai

mgraham49 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mgraham49
Pearson 10m

Someone should speak up for the
Pearsons. I have owned the same Pearson 10m (10 meter, 32.8 feet I think) since 1975. Hard to believe I bought it when I was 25, and was working on it this morning at age 61.

We have raced, cruised, raised children and grandchildren on it. It has been sturdy and virtually indestructible.

It has been a great sailing boat, still outpointing and quicker than many newer boats. It is moderate displacement at 12,000 pounds, fin keel, skeg hung rudder.

The early 10m (serial number less than 100) had a chainplate issue which was resolved in the post #100 boats, AMD could be fixed in the earlier boats.

I mention all of this because the late 70s and early 80s pearsons were built more heavily than the ericsons. I love the lines of the ericsons, and their trademark black mast, but I would rather be on my Pearson in an
Open Ocean blow.

Prices are way down on the 10m. I have a theory that any boat that cannot be immediately identified by the name as to size doesn't have as good a resale. Tartan 10s are an example, but a very different boat.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 08-28-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I dont think anyone said Pearson are not great boats?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-28-2011

Grand River Raider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
GRR, why shop in Annapolis?

A well-maintained, Great Lakes sailed, Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau, or Ericson or Sabre would be better value than an East Coast saltwater-sailed Sabre. The boats may the same age, but the lake boat will have half as much usage, no hurricane exposure, annual haul-outs, less UV damage, no saltwater exposure, and will be about the same price, or less.
bljones,

Initially, I was looking primarily at Tartan 34-2 and 33 and there were few of them in my price range for sale here in the Great Lakes believe it or not. More of the Tartan 34C, which has beautiful exterior lines, but a rather spartan interior. And I was not really considering those other builders at first, but after I got on board a 1985 Pearson 34 that I really liked (save for the deep draft), I started looking more broadly at other builders. Those concerns that you mentioned are very real and certainly it would be easier to get a boat closer to home. If I can find "the one" (if such a boat exists) in the Great Lakes, I'll be thrilled.

GRR
Old 08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
J's might very well fit your need. IIRC the 35 or 35c would make good cruisers. Even the 37/37c. The c at the end just means IIRC that they have a bit nicer interior. along with it is easier to find a shoal draft version. The C versions will be a bit more money. Good old boat about a year or so ago did an article on a 32 ie July/August 2010. I could probably scan that review. The other boat is a Jeanneau Arcadia. an attalia is simalar, but about 2' longer, and a different designer. Then a sunshine 36/38 is a longer version, same designer as teh Arcadia. Sailing mag also has many reviews of some older boats too.

CS from that era also have a nice boat too. A dock/yc mate bought a 36 merlin last summer. Nice boat, look up Dejonda on here, along with mitempo? sp? has a CS 30, also Castro designs like the Arcadia, and sunshine boats.

Marty

My horizons are expanding even further. You have given me a number of new boats to consider. I'll have to do some more research. Thanks Marty.
Old 08-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
HERE is the Arcadia review. There are only about 20 in the states. The attalia which is considered a 32' boat is very similar as mentioned, but much more findable, as is the Sunshine. ALL three models have fin and CB versions. Sundream, Sun light are some newer versions of these. Older jeanneau's are worth taking a peak at.

For me if you look at a Beneteau, look at some of the first series versions. These are nice interior wise, but have some speed and are ment to be raced then cruised, or cruised very fast. Most unfortunately for you, will be deeper keels. I have not heard that shoal keels are needed as much on the GL's as they are on the east coast in salt water. I would not personally rule one out if you can. If frieghters are moving about on the lakes with 15-20' drafts, a 5-7' draft sailboat should not have issues! or to me, at least no more than a 3-5' draft one! But that is coming from someone that sails in 300-600+ feet of water here in Puget Sound, shoal draft boats are a liability to sell vs deep draft boats!

As mentioned by the fellow with the Pearson, they are good boats. I know another fellow that has had one for many years, and know who sold it to him. 20 yrs tween them and it is still moving. BUT< the recent owner mentioned yesterday he has an offer or is close to do so on a C310! I think that one will be a bit nicer for him and spouse since they are close to retiring!

I would also suggest a boat if possible with in your budget newer than about 82, you will not have the pinched transoms from the late 70's IOR heyday. WHile upwind great boats, down wind, they can get tricky. That is a me personal opinion...not that it is worth much.

Marty
Old 08-28-2011
Bali Hai

mgraham49 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mgraham49
When did blistering stop being an issue? I know that it had something to do with the resins and glass, and have the sense that it isn't much of an issue on newer boats, but to what extent is blistering an issue in 80s boats?
Old 08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
HERE is the Arcadia review. There are only about 20 in the states. The attalia which is considered a 32' boat is very similar as mentioned, but much more findable, as is the Sunshine. ALL three models have fin and CB versions. Sundream, Sun light are some newer versions of these. Older jeanneau's are worth taking a peak at.

Thanks for scanning this review. I did a quick scan of yachtworld and could not find any in my range. I did find some J-boats and CS. I think I like a more traditional looking boat rather than the sleek, more contemporary look of these boats.

For me if you look at a Beneteau, look at some of the first series versions. These are nice interior wise, but have some speed and are ment to be raced then cruised, or cruised very fast. Most unfortunately for you, will be deeper keels. I have not heard that shoal keels are needed as much on the GL's as they are on the east coast in salt water. I would not personally rule one out if you can. If frieghters are moving about on the lakes with 15-20' drafts, a 5-7' draft sailboat should not have issues! or to me, at least no more than a 3-5' draft one! But that is coming from someone that sails in 300-600+ feet of water here in Puget Sound, shoal draft boats are a liability to sell vs deep draft boats!

Yes, I have been considering how much the draft matters for where I will sail. Most of the time the shallow draft won't matter as I will be day sailing and weekending on Lake Erie, but I would like the versatility to take a longer cruise up to Georgian Bay/North Channel. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing a shallow draft would be needed in this case. If not, the shallow draft is not that important.

As mentioned by the fellow with the Pearson, they are good boats. I know another fellow that has had one for many years, and know who sold it to him. 20 yrs tween them and it is still moving. BUT< the recent owner mentioned yesterday he has an offer or is close to do so on a C310! I think that one will be a bit nicer for him and spouse since they are close to retiring!

Yes, I'm liking the Pearsons a good deal.

I would also suggest a boat if possible with in your budget newer than about 82, you will not have the pinched transoms from the late 70's IOR heyday. WHile upwind great boats, down wind, they can get tricky. That is a me personal opinion...not that it is worth much.

Marty
Help me out Marty..."a pinched transom?"
Old 08-28-2011

Marty,

Well, I have managed to put my response into the quote of your last post. I'm still getting the hang of this site. I suppose I needed to hit the multi-quote button at the bottom to respond to different segments of your post individually?

GRR
Old 08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraham49 View Post
It has been a great sailing boat, still outpointing and quicker than many newer boats. It is moderate displacement at 12,000 pounds, fin keel, skeg hung rudder.

I mention all of this because the late 70s and early 80s pearsons were built more heavily than the ericsons. I love the lines of the ericsons, and their trademark black mast, but I would rather be on my Pearson in an
Open Ocean blow.

Mike

Mike,

It sounds like you have had a great experience with your Pearson to say the least. Wonderful that your boat has been so durable.

I'm wondering what you think about the 1970's and early 80's Pearsons versus that Pearsons made closer to the time the company closed. I've considered looking at some of the late 1980's and early 1990's Pearson 31-2.

Thanks,

GRR