Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003

dagerman is on a distinguished road
Boat Suggestions

Looking for suggestions for first boat. After looking around, I''m leaning towards a Beneteau (model to be determined)
There will be 2 adults spending long weekends (4-6 days) aboard. Mostly coastal cruising on the Florida ICW. Would like occasional trips to Bahamas or Keys. Would also like capability of another couple aboard for week at a time (2 heads, cabins).
The budget is $100-150k and prefer space and accomodations to speed and handling. The end goal is long distance cuising in the future. (not necessarily on this boat.) Also want a low maintenance and reliable boat. I hope I''m not asking for the moon. Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Boat Suggestions

If you are going the Beneteau route, I would try to find a Beneteau 38s5 which is not really a distance cruiser but which would make a very good boat for the kind of thing that you are contemplating. The typically sell in the $100-110 K range for a good clean one with really well equipped slight more and poorly equipped or beat up boats slightly less.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Boat Suggestions

Oops, I just caught the first boat part of your post. If you are light on experience I would suggest that you start with something smaller and then work up to a bigger boat. If you are an experienced sailor, but have never owned a boat, then the 38s5 is really well suited to your goals.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2003

alpheus is on a distinguished road
Boat Suggestions

With regard to your first boat, I have a whitby 42 ketch for sale. The boat is located
in Lighthouse Point,Fl. It may well fit your
requirements very well. You may reach me at 561 866 2974 or email alpheus141@aol.com
Best Regards,

Old 08-22-2003

mdougan is on a distinguished road
Boat Suggestions

You might search yachtworld.com for Hans Christian boats. I believe that the 38 foot has two seperate cabins, though you''ll only have one head which is often positioned up in the V-Berth area leaving lots of room for a shower etc. Look for the 38T (for traditional) model.

The Has Christians are really beautiful boats, lots of beam, very sea-worthy, would be capable of long distance cruising. Only thing I don''t know is their draft, and anything over 4 feet might give you trouble on the ICW.

They also make a 33 foot model which is very similar, minus the aft cabin (your friends can sleep on the settee cusions in the main cabin.

Going smaller is good if you have less experience or if you sail short handed. Sails are smaller, things are easier to do by yourself... and things are cheaper.
Old 08-22-2003

Boat Suggestions

Jeff_H,

Yes, this would be my first sailboat. I have had a powerboat for the past year and just can''t give up the idea of sailing. I have sailed a few times with friends about 10 years ago. I don''t plan on purchasing for another 1-2 years but I like to do alot of research before I jump into something. My wife and I both plan on becoming ASA certified for bareboat/coastal cruising. I would like to charter a few differnt boats as well before buying.
Old 08-22-2003

Boat Suggestions

mdougan,

Have been looking at pictures of the 38T''s and although they are a beautiful boat, I don''t think I''m going to want to take care of that much wood. It looks great, but I want to spend time sailing vs maintaining. Do they all have the teak decking? I also failed to mention that I need something that my wife could singe hand if necessary. We are both in our 30''s and in good shape.
Old 09-09-2006
Jeff at SmartCaptain.com

SmartCaptain is on a distinguished road
Boat Suggestion

Good morning,
I'm partial to Island Packets, having lived aboard my 38 for the past two years and having sailed it over 8,000 miles on five transits of the East Coast. Per your earlier posts, any 38' sailboat will be a lot of work. You might wish to consider a beamy, shorter boat. Check out the IP31 - tons of room and a fantastic cruising boat. You'll be happy you're on an IP when you're on the way to the Bahamas and the Gulf Stream gets nasty!

The best advice I was ever given was "try before you buy". Go out sailing on friends boats, and charter (if possible) any boat you're considering buying. Charter companies like the Moorings have popular Beneteaus, and some charter companies in FL have Island Packets.

Best regards,

Jeff
Old 09-09-2006
Jeff at SmartCaptain.com

SmartCaptain is on a distinguished road
Boat Suggestion

... one final thought...

Spend 2/3 of your total budget on the boat and leave 1/3 for repairs, upgrades and outfitting. For example, spend $66k of a $100k budget on the boat and leave $34k for updgrades. It sounds like a lot to spend on gear and repairs, but you'll find that this ratio holds up over the first two years of boat ownership, especially for people buying cruising sailboats.

Best regards,

Jeff
Old 09-09-2006

Alienagw is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Alienagw
Hello all,
Good information, however the more I read on Sailnet the more I become confused about boat size vs coastal and off shore sailing. Many of the threads push under 40ft for both liveaboard and costal sailing. How does the below 40ft enter in the equation for ease of control. The Beneteaus are normally well equipped compared to before there was roller furling?
Which also begs the questions what boats are not considered off shore boats?