Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Chuck:

As my dock neighbor Marty points out, pointing ability is a complex issue, including boat design, sails, and skill, including helming ability.

Sail trim matters. I did an upwind horizon job on a faster Tartan 3500 last weekend with a first-time sailor at my helm. The Tartan is a faster boat, but my boat was trimmed better.

Marty and I race together, and you could see a dramatic improvement when he got his jib recut and his boat got faster. It was remarkable. We all noticed, and are presently seeding barnacles on his hull to slow him down a bit.

All that being said, I've had my Merlin for a year now. She has a dacron 130 genoa and main. I find that I can point pretty close to the rest of the fleet, consisting of mostly smallers cruisers/racers but not as well as those that have laminate jibs.

Now, I'm still learning to sail my boat, and expect that my performance will continue to improve. Swapping my prop out for a feathering prop will help as well.

I intend to get a laminate genoa sometime soon, but am still waffling on size and supplier.

I bought the Merlin, after a long search. I wanted something well built that would sail very well. I wanted something that I could fit in a 36 foot slip, and also have an aft cabin (no quarterberth)

She is fast, powerful and responsive. A true joy to sail.

She's also comfortable down below, and has more "legs" in terms of storage capacity for longer unsupported cruises.

So, after a year, I think I made a smart choice for my boat. There are other smart choices out there.

Good luck!

Choose wisely!

If you can get to Seattle, I'd be happy to take you sailing.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 09-13-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012

dmdecp is on a distinguished road
True Great Lakes Cruiser-Racer

Hi Chuck,
Yes, your dream boat exists. We own a 1983 CS36 Traditional and have cruised Georgian Bay since 1985. She is fast, elegant and comfortable to live on. She is totally equipped except radar and in very good shape. Last week she received new anti-fouling. When we used to sail to our week-end destination 5 hours away from Owen Sound, inevitably the three best sailors from the local yacht club would take us on to see who would arrive at the island first. If we weren't first, it was close; always fun to leave the competition in the dust.
A few years ago we sailed her to Florida and the Bahamas; you would be hard-pressed to find a more seaworthy boat.
As we just purchased a condo in Florida, our beloved boat is now available at a competetive price. She sleeps 6 (we have had 8), seats 8 comfortably in the cockpit (we've had 14), tacks once where our previous boat tacked 5 times and has many extras due to our living aboard her in the winter. She is presently in Stuart, Florida and we would sail her north if you don't want to.
If you want more information please get in touch.
Carol and Elmar
Old 01-31-2012

dmdecp is on a distinguished road
Look no further, we have exactly what you are looking for. A beautiful, fast,comfortable tall rig,deep draft racer-cruiser built for the Great Lakes. We have hardly ever been beaten in many imprompto races and we have had as many as 14 people in our cockpit, which seats 8 comfortably or even sleeps 2 adults. She has taken us safely through the night the length of Lake Huron in a 45 knot September gale and she ghosts along nicely with hardly a breeze, so that her Gennaker has hardly been used. We hate to see her go,but we can't stay young forever. She's a 1983 CS36T in good condition.Please call 777-772-5133, since I don't know how this website works.