Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003

pmcandrew is on a distinguished road
1978 C&C 34

I am considering the purchase of a ''78 C&C 34. I am looking for a live aboard first, and a bay/coastal cruiser second. The boat I am currently looking at is well within my budget and well under the price range of other boats of similar make and vintage (mainly due to equipment, or lack of). It appears to have been well cared for (especially the interior) cosmetically, but there is some evidence the previous owner was not especially mechanically inclined. It has been repowered with a 18hp Kubota. Although this is not a super heavy boat, it is less hp than most others I''ve seen on the net of this type. Biggest drawbacks I see are lack of ac, refridgeration, and no electronics (or they''re obsolete). Any comments on the reputation of this boat as far as quality and sailing? Is it practical to live aboard (with the addition of ac and refridge)? I have lived aboard before, but on a larger boat. Also, any problem areas to inform a surveyor of?
Thanks,
Patrick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2003

ddebruin is on a distinguished road
1978 C&C 34

There is a very active C&C forum that I would suggest you subscribe to and ask your question. You will prob get quite a few responses from folks that either own or race against the 34.

One thing I assume you are aware of, the 34 was primarily designed for racing not as a long range cruiser or live aboard.

I have a C&C 29 and have been very pleased with the quality of workmanship and the sailing ability. There are quite a few 34''s around here (Great Lakes). Many have been raced hard. Does not sound like the one you are looking at has been raced much if it does not have updated electronics and equipment so that may be an advantage.

Good luck.

Dan

Old 08-25-2003

1978 C&C 34

Thanks Dan. I''m aware of the C&C owners list and I''ll be posting something there shortly. Just looking for some "unbiased" views as well...I don''t think this boat has been lived aboard before, and probably wasn''t designed with that in mind. My stay aboard will likely be 6-8 months.
Thanks again,
Patrick
Old 08-25-2003

Magic_Moments is on a distinguished road
1978 C&C 34

I have a friend who lives on a C&C 34 in the slip next to mine. His is a 1982 and he seems to like it fine for a liveaboard. We are in the Pacific Northwest, but sometimes he complains about it being hot inside the boat and there are no opening portlights to let in a crossbreeze. There are hatches that should help, but it may also be that he feels hot because he isn''t used to it. In any case there is a good amount of space and there is good access to most of the systems. Holding tank is under the V-berth and there are 2 water tanks under the settees. Head is small, but the bathrooms on the dock are close. The settees are a bit narrow, but not uncomfortable. He complained about not having space behind the wheel so he took out the helm seat which was just held in with 6 screws. That leaves a nice space behind the wheel and seats in the corners if you need to sit. Those seats have room for a couple of propane bottles if you have or want a propane setup.

There is sometimes some cracking where the front of the keel joins the hull which can be fixed by tightening the keelbolts and resealing it. I bet most surveyors know about that issue. Also sometimes there are stress cracks on the side decks outboard of the front end of the cockpit. I don''t know if they were gelcoat or actual cracks, but the surveyor ought to know to look for it.

I have sailed on it and it does pretty well in light air. I think he reefs it around 15-18 knots, but I haven''t been on it in a good breeze.

Ken
Old 08-27-2003

1978 C&C 34

Thanks Dan and Ken for the replies. I haven''t made up my mind yet, but this is good information to make an informed decision with.
Thanks again,
Patrick
Old 10-08-2003

tnash is on a distinguished road
1978 C&C 34

Hi Patrick,
I have seen this boat recently at Watergate. What became of your search? You must have decided on a different boat, as this one is still on the market. Would be very curious about your thoughts.
Regards,
Tim
Old 02-04-2004

mark6277 is on a distinguished road
1978 C&C 34

I own a C&C 34, 1979 vintage and have injoyed it completely for 12 years on the Great Lakes.

As you know, C&C had cored hulls and after talking with a survyer after a sister ship was reviewed, the reviewed boat had core below the waterline. Specifically, just under the V berth and aft under the engine mounts. Mine does not have this but the sister ship did and needed expensive hull work. Check these areas, you could be stuck.

Lastly, if roller furling for the jib has not been installed, do it. The bow is narrow and can be a real adventure making a sail change. The boat needs only a 135 jib and a storm jib if you do not intend to race. That will free up much space in the vbearth and make it usable for sleeping.

Mark
Old 02-04-2004

genethompson is on a distinguished road
1978 C&C 34

I also have a friend who lives on a C&C 34, he is in Conecticut. I think it is a 1984. He has lived aboard for at least 15 years. He is a good sailor and likes his boat. It had a major blister problem that required a winter dry out, peal and epoxy. Now the blisters are coming back. This boat has the balsa core and it is a concern. It has a baby stay for mast bend which I think is a nice feature. I like the boat.

Gene