Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Replacing tanks while not easy would hardly be a deal killer for me. There are bunches of issues that will pop up on a boat of this vintage that will require replacing no matter how well the boat has been cared for. The tanks are on the easier side of things. Trust me on this.

As to electronics, unless they are still under warranty and that warranty transfers, figure on it being nice but it will need to be replaced at some point. If it works for now- great but I wouldn't add anything to the value unless they are under warranty.

In your due diligence, youhave to determine if you absolutely LOVE this boat. I always figure on love of a particular vessel adding 5%-10% on value to an individual. You cannot ignore boat love.

She's a lovely boat, I hope it works out for you.
PorFin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc View Post
Nothing yet, just doing my due diligence. I found out that these boats were manufactured with stainless welded tanks and there is a history of the tanks failing and requiring replacement. It's pretty expensive and involved to replace them
If you can install yourself, the tank will be about $800.00 - $900.00 to fabricate. Take out the old, let your fabricator copy it. Look at it this way. A jib will be at least 2k. A new fancy chart plotter about the same.

(I love it! 20k to 30k for a vintage sabre... to paraphrase, "The boat isn't worth anything. Buy the boat I want!")
Old 09-14-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc View Post
Nothing yet, just doing my due diligence. I found out that these boats were manufactured with stainless welded tanks and there is a history of the tanks failing and requiring replacement. It's pretty expensive and involved to replace them
Suspect? Yes, but should be relatively easy to check during a survey. Unless the bilges have been kept wet and nasty, the welds are most likely going to fail from the inside out. The heat affected zones around the welds are weak spots - particularly in the water tanks, because of the clorine in municipal water.

If the tanks do show signs of rust, you may be able to use that as leverage when the price is adjusted following the survey.
Old 09-14-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
That is one benefit of a good survey - price adjustments.
Mimsy likes this.
Old 09-14-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
If you can install yourself, the tank will be about $800.00 - $900.00 to fabricate. Take out the old, let your fabricator copy it. Look at it this way. A jib will be at least 2k. A new fancy chart plotter about the same.
Puddin,

Since I'm in the middle of replacing two 55 gal diesel tanks, and as much as I'd like to agree with you I gotta challenge your numbers.

Based on my requests for bids, the ballpark costs for my tank fabrication are:
o Aluminum: ~$3k
o 316L s/s: ~$6k.

The labor costs for the welding are about the same (~$2K; 24-28 hrs @$90/hr)

n.b. -- these are the costs just to have the tanks fabricated; I'm doing the removal/replacement myself.

Last edited by PorFin; 09-14-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2011

Bowedtoothdoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post

(I love it! 20k to 30k for a vintage sabre... to paraphrase, "The boat isn't worth anything. Buy the boat I want!")
Unfortunately, I don't think it would be quite so easy and inexpensive. The tanks are under the cabin sole and would have to be cut out to be removed along with removal of some of the floor and structural bracing.
Old 09-14-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
That is a gorgeous vessel and I'd be surprised to find out the tanks are bad just looking at the pics. The PO obviously has had his/her own love affair with her, which usually bodes well for the next in line. Good luck and keep us posted if she becomes yours.
Old 09-14-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
No problems with my tanks, touch wood. Of which there is plenty.

I have seen a writeup on replacing them, involving cutting out the floor.

I'd concentrate on what IS wrong, not what COULD go wrong. You might get a discount for the former, the latter I don't think so.

If we were to consider everything that COULD go wrong with a sailboat, that way madness lies.
Old 09-14-2011

Bowedtoothdoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
No problems with my tanks, touch wood. Of which there is plenty.

I have seen a writeup on replacing them, involving cutting out the floor.

I'd concentrate on what IS wrong, not what COULD go wrong. You might get a discount for the former, the latter I don't think so.

If we were to consider everything that COULD go wrong with a sailboat, that way madness lies.
Mark,
I totally agree. I would however prefer to know about a potential problem before a purchase rather than after.
Old 09-14-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I think if I had that kind of scratch to drop on a mid 80's boat I'd be taking a hard look at Nordic 44's.

Edited to add: What about a Saga 43 also? According to what I've read the build quality might not be quite as hight but its certainly a capable "bluewater" boat. Being a much newer boat there would be less age related maintenance.
puddinlegs likes this.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 09-15-2011 at 06:03 AM.