Seidalmann 25 project - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 09-13-2011 Thread Starter

Jeff,

Thanks for all the info. I knew about pricing and that they are hard to sell. I also know they have their die hard followers like most things.

As far as getting parts I am pretty good at getting deals. Not sure how wxpensive things are on CL up your way, but down here in SC they fairly decent here. Found a 9.9 long shaft outboard for $350. (in running condition)

I plan to keep the boat for a season or so I can learn to sail. If I lose $2,000 after learning to sail, I will call that the cost of experience. As far as leaving out interior pieces such as bunks, flats, case work, and shelves, I am not exactly sure what all those pieces are but will google them. I would also run some support pieces and glass those in as well.

Must have for this boat are porta potty, cooking stove, sink, and fresh water storage. I do not plan to sleep on it. May do some fishing and cruising around.

Bill
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 09-23-2011 Thread Starter

How do I tell if the blisters are in the paint or in the fiberglass? It looks like they are in the paint to me. I ask because I got a price quote of $400 to paint the hull if the blisters are in the paint from a semi-local marina.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-23-2011

Pop one or 2 and see if they are paint shallow or deeper. They have to be popped in any case - for repair or painting.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #14 of 19 Old 09-23-2011 Thread Starter

I guess pits would be a better description. Looks like PO never cleaned the bottom. See link for pics:

SailboatOwners.com - madman960's Album: S25 Project Pics
post #15 of 19 Old 09-23-2011
4ksb expert.

Can't tell, no close-up of blisters. But does just look like a really bad bottom paint. But boy you got work! Of course, the flipside... if you leave it empty... make it functional again, it'd be REALLY quick!
post #16 of 19 Old 09-23-2011

I couldn't see a close-up of a blister there. When the blister is popped the thickness of it should tell you whether is is just paint or deeper though.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #17 of 19 Old 09-23-2011 Thread Starter

I will try to post close up pics tomorrow. The marina said as long as the fiberglass does not need work, they will paint the hull for $400. This includes prep/sand and 2 coats of ablatative paint. I think this is a good deal. Once that is done, I will need to choose between installing the rebuilt inboard or going with an outboard.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-24-2011
BoatSmith

I also would not reccommend putting time and money into this boat.

BoatSmith ---Boatbuilder
post #19 of 19 Old 09-24-2011 Thread Starter

If I end up getting the bottom painted for $400, it should only cost another $200-$300 to glass in the bulkheads. The original inboard has been rebuilt and came with the boat. It just needs a prop shaft. I can get a used 9.9 hp longshaft outboard for $300 in running condition. That puts me about $1,000 total if I do not use the inboard. I have not priced the prop shaft but the PO said he found them online for $125.

I also get to sell the 35 ft sailboat trailer that came with this boat. If I get at least $1,000 I will break even. The standing and running rigging is all new.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.