Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Ski:
Yep, that's about how it works. I do it all the time. I have done it for the past almost 40 years now. I'm actually fairly good at it. Just had a call from a custom boat client who has had his boat now for over 5 years and he is still raving about how much he loves the boat. I have to do more than chat about it. I have to make it actually work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I think that it is one thing to stretch the transom and counter on a transom boat, but double Enders don't stretch so easy. In wooden boat days we would sometimes move the mold spacing on the loft floor to produce a longer or shorter model of known design. (I did that on a Lawley Dinghy once.) Of course it affects the bow profile which means that the resultant boat is not exactly a stretch. It's not so easy with bigger boats. Probably the best known successful stretch was the Peterson 44 to 46 stretch which allegedly was done by spreading the frames a few extra inches and building a new plug.

In terms of the boat in question, coming from a Sabre, I think that a boat like the Fales will be a disappointment performance-wise. Frankly24,000 lb displacement is obscenely heavy for a 38 foot boat on a 33 foot waterline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 09-14-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Actually no. I was thinking of the Folkes.
hmmm ... I don't know Folkes ... even google doesn't seem to throw up any links or images.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-14-2011

CCBreeze is on a distinguished road
Ok all, I would like to get back on the Fales 38.

It's tough to get info on such a short production run boat and determine if it's a fit. To be honest, I sail a Pearson 36.2, and this not comparable in any way. I get my kicks racing a Laser and a Rhodes 19. We have never sailed something purely defined as a cruiser only but our needs are changing.

I have looked at the boat and it appears very well built. The interior is large and well laid out with solid teak construction throughout except the galley.

This is some additional info I have found out:

Hull was designed by Charles F. Street, interior by Alden, built by TPI.
Blogs I have searched have talked about Fales stretching a trawler but never this boat mentioned.

Our needs are comfort, stability, room for visitors appropriate to 2 years in the Caribbean/East Coast/Bermuda.

Other boats we are comparing to are:
Corbin 39, Cabo Rico 38, Shannon 38, Pearson 424/422 and Whitby 42/Brewer 12.8 on the larger side.

Any suggestions on how to judge boat like a Fales 38 so rarely experienced first hand?
Old 09-14-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
It looks solid, if not fast. Nice layout but no chart table I can see. I think 38' is a bit small for a ketch, not really necessary until 50' or over. Looks well built though and TPI can do a good job.

Like any boat check for soft decks, age of rigging, condition of chainplates, maststep, engine, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Fales Explorer 38?-1.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It looks solid, if not fast. Nice layout but no chart table I can see. I think 38' is a bit small for a ketch, not really necessary until 50' or over. Looks well built though and TPI can do a good job.

Like any boat check for soft decks, age of rigging, condition of chainplates, maststep, engine, etc.

Interesting. They've lost a chart table but have ended up with one of the roomiest aft cabins I've seen in an aft cockpit boat of that era and havn't had to push the V-berth right up into the bow. I'd miss not having a chart table.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-14-2011

tdw

Here are a few links on the Folkes - steel and many home finished.

Google
Old 09-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
tdw

Here are a few links on the Folkes - steel and many home finished.

Google
Thanks Brian. When I threw "Folkes Sailboat" at Google nothing came up. Odd.

Old 09-15-2011

Maybe your Google isn't the same as ours?
Old 09-16-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
There was a 38' Fales motorsailor that was along the lines of their 32'. I believe it was on the same hull as the ketch that is under discussion here.

I doubt it was much of a sailor but it struck me that it would be a pretty good choice for summer cruising here in the Salish Sea since everyone spends so much time under power anyway.

It had a bit of a fishboat look to it that is probably an acquired taste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.