Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
tdw

Here are a few links on the Folkes - steel and many home finished.

Google
I've been around and on a number of Folkes steel boats since they are (or were) built here. I have always found them to be something less than a yacht finish inside and out. Workmanlike would be the best I could say about them. They also have the rep of being very slow. The first one I was on was a 35' clipper bowed ketch and for some reason it was built with 5'10" headroom - it was like being in an iron lung.

IMHO you would have to have strength as far and away the most important quality you were looking for in a boat to consider one of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You're right - I was being polite.
Old 09-18-2011

CCBreeze is on a distinguished road
Fales 38 has a fold down chart table with drawer in the massive aft cabin. There's not much this boat doesn't have in terms of a hefty cruiser. The teak and quality below is something like I've never seen on any production boat- like my Pearson, but it isn't even in the ballpark. Still considering the boat...
Old 11-21-2011

TX_BG is on a distinguished road
Fales 38

Fales 38 is a great boat, very well built ... lived on Hull #4 and cruised the Bahamas for 4 years. Do you know what the hull # is or name of the boat you're considering? The boats were built in the Pearson-Tillotson yard by Fales Sr. and Jr. They originated from the Willard trollers, and Fales redesigned them into sailboats. Yes, they look very much like a Valiant - just a little more like a chubbier sister. The boat is not as fast, nor does it point as well as a Valiant. So it will take you a little longer, but you'll arrive safe and rested and won't be beat to death as you can be on a fin-keel. So depending on the type of sailing and where you want to sail, this boat may be a great fit for you. Not knowing what type of updates the previous owners made, the original cabin lights were incandescent. Ditch them for new l.e.d.'s. You'll absolutely love the separate shower stall (ditch the wet gear clothes rod, and put in mesh shelves for more storage). You'll grow to love the fold down nav table, as its out of the way when you don't need it, and viewable from the cockpit when you're on watch (set up the computer and go). At anchor, the boat is extremely comfortable. The cockpit has nice heights (comfy and very supportive on your back). If it has an electric windless you can use it to hoist the dinghy on deck and not mess with davits. LOL - if you need more details, send me an email. Good luck!
TX_BG
Old 12-27-2011

Jason Flare is on a distinguished road
I looked at that Fales 38 in Warwick, RI, this Fall and put an offer on it. My offer was low and was refused, as I expected it would be, and the broker didn't seem to want to use my offer as a starting point. When I looked at the boat it was on the hard but the bilge was full of water to just below the floorboards. Some floorboards were taken up and were too swolen with moisture to fit back in place. It's a well built boat, made in the U.S. by Tillotson Pearson. I like the canoe stern and the aluminum, rather than spruce, spars. It needs a lot of TLC, which, for the right price, I would be willing to give it. I'm keeping my eye on it. It doesn't cost anything to wait for a price reduction.
Old 12-27-2011

Strange. The listing states "...leak free fiberglass decks..."
I wonder how the water got there?

1979 Pearson -Tillotson-Pearson Fales 38 Explorer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 12-28-2011

TX_BG is on a distinguished road
Jason - do you know the hull number of the Fales you're looking at?
Old 12-28-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Strange. The listing states "...leak free fiberglass decks..."
I wonder how the water got there?
It's a variation on the NRA's "Guns don't kill, people kill" - Decks don't leak, hardware mounting holes leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-28-2011

It is a funny statement to make when the boat is on the hard and the bilges are full of water though.
Old 12-29-2011

Jason Flare is on a distinguished road
I don't know the Hull number but the boat is named, Nansea. According to the listing it was formerly named, Latitude.