Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011

lot is on a distinguished road
Feedback on next boat

So I am starting to get a bit frustrated trying to find my next boat. Currently I own a 86 ct-38 that is a pretty decent fast cruiser in good winds (not so good light winds or pointing upwind), but I find it not at all comfortable to live aboard.

I have looked at quite a few in person, and have spent a lot of time perusing this site and yachtworld looking at options. I am not currently willing to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars for a new boat.

I wish I could say say sailing performance would be a top priority, but unfortunately I do not get out sailing more than once every month or two, and while doing some serious blue water sailing is on the horizon, until I retire that will likely have to wait. I understand that there can be a tradeoff between size and performance and price. That being said, after getting 8-10 kts sustained on my ct, it would be tough to be relegated to seriously reduced speed or performance.

Due to my slip, I am limited in size to 40 ft, but I am primarily looking for a boat with a more comfortable or possibly spacious layout, both topside and belowdecks. Over the years I have grown weary of trying to get out (or fall out!) of my vee or quarter berth in cramped quarters, so my body would appreciate a berth with better access such as a centerline double or queen. In addition, just an external/internal layout that is more suited to day-to-day natural ease of moving around and sailing. I do not think that just because a boat is small it has to be cramped or poorly designed.

While production manufacturers Hunter, Catalina, and Beneteau (or less common such as Dufour or Jeanneau) all make beautiful looking boats and/or have great internal layouts, I have not been impressed by what I have seen in the details of the boat and construction. In addition, their reputations are somewhat dubious as sailing performers and long-term durability/reliability. Of course, some would say what can you expect from a higher volume production boat.

I may be expecting too much, but there has to be some quality builds out there that will not break the bank.

Ideas?

Thanks
Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I suspect nobody has jumped on this because there is no great answer. Plus you haven't said how much you will spend or how new a boat you are looking for. So you're stuck with me for the time being, until someone really knowledgeable like Jeff comes along Yes, if you want to go beyond the quality level of one of the production makes, you are going to break the bank--at least relative to the cost of the big production guys. You don't get interiors and joinery like you've got on the CT without moving to the boutiques, I don't think.

But I have to say that I don't think the problem with the BeneHuntAlinas etc is sailing ability, and maybe not even long-term durability of the overall craft. But they are built to a price point.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-15-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Your in that pick any two spot because your not getting three on a tight budget

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
c41
Old 09-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by apogee1mars View Post
c41
.......Whazzat??

To the OP... unfortunately I think Tommays is correct, and you've set a high bar to try to satisfy.

It will not be hard to find a better performer.... it will not be hard to find a better liveaboard... it will be difficult to find those two in a similarly robust package build-wise at a budget price.

Another thing to consider.. if your CT 38 is feeling cramped and you want more space, and you're looking for a boat with similar dimensions, all that's probably going to come at a huge price in terms of usable, effective storage space.

We have an older 34 footer, with the interior moved to the center of the boat, but that opens up oodles of storage behind settees, below bunks, etc etc. Minimal cabin sole area, but lots of storage. Get the same sized hull with today's 'open' feel and the settee backs are 4" from the hull.... as ever, there's that compromise.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-15-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Check out the Caliber 40. It has a Pullman berth and is excellent for live aboard. Very good build quality and not a bad performer either.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
lot

Do you have the CT 38 shown below (designed by Alan Warwick) with one of the 2 belowdeck arrangements shown? I think most would think a CT is quite a different boat than this.
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on next boat-1.jpg   Feedback on next boat-2.jpg  
Old 09-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, Brian I think they made a 42 or 44 in that vein too... very 'Swanny' looking boats.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I don't think one will find much more comfort than the CT has without giving up performance - on a budget anyway. I can think of several boats that would meet lot's requirements but not at a bargain price.
Old 09-15-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
.......Whazzat??
CATALINA 41 very spacious and pretty fast too. The C38 MkII carries the beam further aft and has a very nice lay out and is less exspensive to own than a 41.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.