Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003

dagerman is on a distinguished road
Looking at Cal 2-27

Looking at a ''77 Cal 2-27 and have a few questions for anyone familiar with them:

There is a head but no holding tank. Is it possible to install one and at what cost?

It has an Atomic 4 engine. Any comments as to it''s reliability?

One shroud has a broken strand. Is this a problem and should it be replaced? It is the larger diameter the goes about half-way up the mast.

Finally, overall would this be a decent boat for a couple to learn to sail on and to do short cruises down the florida coast, keys and possibly a trip to the Bahamas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2003

jparker11 is on a distinguished road
Looking at Cal 2-27

The Cal 2-27 is quite a lot of boat for it''s LOA. The stand up headroom and +9'' beam in the main salon is a bonus. As for holding tanks, I believe they orginally came with a flexible bladder for the holding tank. Our retrofit of a poly tank cost about $400. It is located in the bow with a deck pump out and a three way for direct discharge. As far as the standing rigging, the lower shroud is highly loaded and a shroud with a broken strand should be replaced. More importantly you should determine the age of the standing rigging and have a thorough inspection of the chainplates, clevises shackles and turnbuckles. A warm marina climate such as Florida can corrode stainless steel fairly rapidly. Also, some debate about the original rigging design has taken place over the years. Go to http://www.sealsspars.com/cal2-27sparlosses.html for a discussion on this matter.

The Atomic 4 or any auxiliary of this vintage will put you at the mercy of previous owner''s maintenance and use habits. The original design is the epitome of KISS (keep it simple stupid). But it is more likely, raw water cooled, and has been subject to corrosion for 25 years. Hard to say on this one. And, access is limited!!

A lot of age related issues come up on 25 year old boats. At any suggested purchase price, (even free!) a survey (about $400) would be a wise choice.

The 2-27 is a good sailing boat with an easily driven hull. The sail controls, in their original form (single set of primaries, end of boom mainsheet w/o traveler) were very simple and good for learning. With it''s interior volume and shallow draft (4''-3") it would be a good Florida coastal cruiser and well prepared trips across the Gulf Stream. With the short LOA, it cheats the harbormaster, too!
Old 09-04-2003

panielsen is on a distinguished road
Looking at Cal 2-27

I completely agree with that advise. I am simply writing to add to it a little. My fiance and I purchased a Cal 27 "Pop Top" several months ago, and discovered a rotten bulkhead at the chainplates on the starboard side. After some research we discovered this to be a huge problem with Cal''s. However it is probably only one of very few, as Cal''s were known for being tough boats. When you look at the boat again, be sure to check them out thouroughly, and check out this website.

www.calyachts.org

Goodluck!!!

Old 09-06-2003

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
Looking at Cal 2-27

I owned a 1977 Cal 2-27. We bought it new in 1977 and had it on land the last few years and now have a new 35'' sailboat.

the 2-27 is a really terrific boat. it is fast, points real well and provides for a fun safe sailing experience. I had a 150 Genoa that seemed to over power the boat often. I put up the 110 that made it a little easier on my elbow....

Anyway.. You will enjoy it..

I should mention that I did have a holding tank and also the port bulkhead did end up in pretty bad shape when the boat was on land the last how ever many years. I had a Ferryman Diesel engine, and a Sterns Twin Stay furling system.