Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road
Sabre

Can I get some opionions on Sabre''s, I might buy a 34'' Sabre Mark II Classic Sloop, it is $90,000. I hear almost all Sabre''s can handle any kind of weather. Just before I buy this boat I was wondering what are some of your opionions on Sabre?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2003

Sabre

seems to be alot of electronics on all Sabre''s, well i havent really found any sailboats that are built for bluewater and are not cluttered with power consuming junk. only need GPS, VHF, refrigerator(optional)
Old 08-29-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Sabre

While I like Sabres a whole lot, they are really set up as coastal cruisers lacking the kind of hand holds and seaberths that I think of as being a critical part of an offshore boat layout.

Regarding Jeffamc''s comments, I would consider a depth sounder and knotmeter more important to an offshore boat than either the VHF (short range) or refrigeration (big energy user), and the depth sounder perhaps even more critical than a GPS. That said, the presence or absense of electronics does not an offshore cruiser make.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2003

Sabre

yea, i just like it simple better, it feels more "real" and exciting to not rely on electronics. It would be great to learn celetstalar navagation and not deal with GPS at all. Don''t need a refridgerator just use canned and boxed food. Mostly all technology was created in the 20th century and people didnt just start sailing in the 20th century so therefore you could do it without any technology at all. Could sail around the world in a wooden hull sailboat with no motor, eating hard tack with bugs in it (heh).
Old 08-29-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Sabre

I had a chance earlier this summer to spend a week sailing with a friend on his Sabre 34 II. I''ve always lusted after Sabres so jumped at the chance. The 34 is one sweet sailing boat. Terrific storage space for cruising, too. Sabres are well made, solid boats with classic good looks. If you can afford it, go for it. You won''t be disappointed.
Old 08-31-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Sabre

The Sept-Oct. issue of Good Old Boat has a good article on Roger Hewson, founder of Sabre Yachts. It discusses the quality angle that Hewson promoted. Worth reading. Click on the Good Old Boat link on these Sailnet pages and request a free issue. It''s also a terrific magazine.
Old 09-05-2003

petercra is on a distinguished road
Sabre

Vol. 2 No. 2 of Sailing Quarterly Video Magazine has a review of the Sabre 34 Targa, aft cabin, which is the boat I think you''re talking about. The review was quite favorable, but $90K is a lot to pay for a 34 footer of this vintage (late 80s/early 90s). There is no question that Sabre makes fine boats but I think you''ll find Tartans, Pearsons and C&Cs of that era to be of comparable quality and considerably less expensive. Few production boats will be damaged by waves or wind, it is usually the crew that gets the boat into an untenable position, such as a lee shore, or breaking waves, that causes the boat to go aground or capsize.

Sailing Quarterly is out of business but you can find copies on eBay and elsewhere on the web. The Sabre review was also duplicated in a sample "Special Edition" sent to potential subscribers.
Old 09-19-2003

glenncpa is on a distinguished road
Sabre

I have been a sailor since I was seven years old. I have owned many sailboats and used to race boats for a dealer. The Sabre is quite well built and I would put it along with Tartan at the top of my list for coastal cruisers and for the periodic jump offshore.
If I only wanted blue water I would go to a heavier displacement and with a full keel. A Hans Christian could be a choice along with some other Asian built craft would be good offshore.
$90,000 is too much to pay for a Sabre 34 for that price you could probably find a Sabre 38 MkI.
My current boat is a Sabre 38MII built in 1988. I have been looking at larger boats but it is hard to find a boat that is as good all around as my Sabre.

Kirk Glenn
Old 09-19-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Sabre

Yogi,
Sabre is a top quality builder and the 34 II is a good-performing coastal cruiser, I wouldn''t hesitate to buy this model if you''re looking for a premium 34'' racer/cruiser. Sabre (and newer Tartans) pull a premium price due to their design and quality - good way to go if you can afford to!
That said, your stated reason for onsidering this model is confusing - I doubt the 34 II or Sabres in general, handle any particular weather better than other good quality production boats such as Pearsons, C&Cs, Beneteaus, or even earlier Sabre 34 Mark I, which can be bought for half the cost of a Mark II. These are not Westsails! All can well handle coastal weather, and NONE are blue-water cruisers built for ocean storms, so it''s a confusing rationale for an otherwise desireable selection.
Old 10-05-2003

luannelong10 is on a distinguished road
Sabre

I''am thinking of buying a 79 Cape Dory 25. The seller wants 7000 dollars. The boat seems to be in good shape. It has orginal sails and motor. The boat is very clean and teak is good shape.It has only been in fresh water and will be moved to a fresh water lake. Is this a fair price? LCL

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.