Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011

White Beard is on a distinguished road
Offshore Pilothouse?

Thank you all for your input - I regularly peruse all Pilothouse and Motorsailers on yachtworld in my price range and I am aware of those that are close. My hope for this thread was that someone might suggest a boat that I did not know about that met all my criteria exactly, perhaps a boat not currently listed, then I could then keep my eyes open and wait for one. Island Trader 40, for example, has a down galley single stateroom version that fits the layout I am looking for exactly and is within 4” of the desired draft, but I am concerned about the overall build quality and offshore potential. No offence intended to current owners, perhaps I am mistaken, if any have made successful extended offshore passages I would very much like to hear from them. Alternatively I guess I could put off retirement and wait until I can move up the purchase price. Perhaps I should have phrased my question as: Does this boat exist? Then figure out how long I have to work for to achieve it :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I have done only one short delivery on the standard version V-40. Great boats!
There was a short production run of a pilot house model in about '80 or so. Have you looked at one?
I do not know how its interior was arranged.

Another brand would be Coopers, built in Canada. There are several of the Cooper 41 listed on Yachtworld now at about 60K, give or take.

L
Old 09-21-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
As you know, boats are a compromise. Finding all of your desired traits (including price) is very unlikely. The non-v-berth option is particularly difficult to find for less than $100k in a pilot house sailboat. You might find a Bruce Roberts custom boat with some of your needs. In any case, here's a few more to consider:

Tayana 37 PH: A rare boat, but they do exist. The interior helm is a bit compromised, but still likely comfortable.

Saturna 33 PH: Even more rare than the T37PH.

Cape Dory 300 MS: Standard layout, but big roomy cockpit and attractive price.

Fisher 30: Very tug-ish/trawler-ish and a bit small, but nicely done if you like the look.

Pacific Seacraft 32: Very nice bluewater boat with innerspring mattress in foward berth, canoe stern, comfy/roomy interior helm, very pricey but possible for close to $100k. This would be my choice of those listed above. FYI - There's one here in the Great Lakes for sale in Traverse City.
jrd22 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 09-22-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2013

edwmama is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore Pilothouse?

Look into the rare Cal cruising 46 by Lapworth
Or pan oceanic 46 by Ted brewer

Solid blue water true pilothouse sailboats

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.