Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011

White Beard is on a distinguished road
Offshore Pilothouse?

Hello, This is my first time to this forum; hope I am doing this correctly. I am looking for recommendations for a Pilothouse sailboat with a dual helm (internal + cockpit), shoal draft, large (Queen or King) inline center berth (not std v-berth) + 1 good sea-berth in the Pilothouse and the ability to both both motor and sail well. This would be a retirement boat for my wife and myself, initial intent is coastal and ICW with eventual offshore sailing. I am a recreational sailor and have sailed the Great Lakes extensively but we would like to eventually sail the world full-time. I am less concerned with a large galley, settees, multiple heads, extra berths, more concerned with high quality, low maintenance. I am more concerned with seaworthiness and comfort than with speed, although it would be nice to be able to sail well downwind with a symmetrical spinnaker. Critically important is a comfortable internal helm and draft in the 3-4.5' range. We would consider anything from full keel to centerboard; aluminum, steel or fiberglass, 32-50', and any price range from up to $75,000 (the lower the better, to allow more $ for refit...) I also like clipper bows and canoe sterns. Does this boat exist?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
(Google searches Sailnet posts better than Sailnet!)

This pilothouse thread didn't start out specifically about going offshore, but it contains a lot of good information.

And welcome to Sailnet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-20-2011

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
From one 'white beard' to another welcome. While I was reading your post I was forming my reply to recommend a Nauticat.... until.... you quashed that with your $ figure. Nope, won't happen. The other flavor of NC's .... Pilothouse Motorsailers - not mine - as one of their 'traditional pilothouses' at 40' feet would fit your needs but even the 80's versions would be more than twice your budget. You are looking for a lot of boat for not much money. Good luck.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 09-20-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Pearson made about 20 P36 Pilot House boats in the early 80s. Depending on condition, they would easily fit your budget. No clipper bow or canoe stern though... It has a V-berth, but that can be changed. And, the interior is likely plaid.

Here are a few;
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980.../United-States
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980.../United-States
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980...-Island/Canada Ok, this guy is out of his mind in terms of the asking price...

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-20-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2011

White Beard is on a distinguished road
Offshore Pilothouse?

Thanks for the replies; I think the Pearson certainly has potential.
Old 09-20-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I think you will have great difficulty in your price range. Not many boats in any price range have that you want but with your budget, a problem. If you are going to get a pilothouse, make sure that it has exceptional ventilation. The owners of the few pilothouse boats we saw between the Eastern Caribbean and Australia all complained about heat in the pilothouse.

If money were no object check this out,

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1820&url=

This is the cheapest one of these I have seen
Old 09-20-2011
SoME Sailor

rjg23 is on a distinguished road
Always have had my eye on these for my retirement:

1982 CORBIN - 39 Pilothouse Cutter ~ Owner Says Bring Offers! Sail

Seems to meet most of your criteria but I doubt you'll find one that meets them all. Always the battle with compromises.

"If you are lucky to live by the sea, you are lucky enough"
Old 09-20-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Pilothouse version of the CT41. It has a pullman double, not a centerline queen.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-21-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I'm not aware of any PH that meets all of your requirements. The price, draft and centerline queen are going to be a difficult combination to find in a PH. Gulf 32, Pearson 36, Northsea 34, Shannon 38, Cape George 36. Those are a few that come to mind, not sure of recent prices, and I don't think any will have a shallow enough draft for you. Good luck on your search.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-21-2011

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Pearson made about 20 P36 Pilot House boats in the early 80s.
Good looking boats. The issue I would have with them though is seeing around/over/through the pilothouse since I do most of my sailing around Narragansett Bay with its lobster pots and high traffic and I drive from the cockpit 99% of the time. Reminds me of my first pilothouse, a Nimble Arctic 25, that I had to look through the pilothouse when sailing. Nauticats of both flavors with their '2nd story' cockpits solve that problem and even my 'runt of the litter' has an almost Queen sized berth under the cockpit. I just use the forward berth for storage. I also like the separate shower on those Pearsons which is basically the same set up I have. I think they deserve a look.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI