Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003

mgarbaus is on a distinguished road
J/24?

I am a pretty new sailer and looking for a boat that will be fun and fast. I don''t want to race right away but I have crewed on a custom sailboat before. I was looking at the J/24 because it has a good reputation and seems to be a fast boat. I am finally going back to sailing after being with a powerboat for many years. My parents originally had a Cape Dory and switched to a large powerboat because of ease of use and speed.

Are there any other boats that I should consider with a J/24? The only thing I really don''t care for on the J/24 is that you sit on the deck instead of in a cockpit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
J/24?

I am a big fan of the J-22 rather than the J-24. I find that the J-22''s are a lot more fun to sail. I also like the Kirby 25 better than the J-24 as well. Sonar 23''s are nice daysailor/racers.

Now then, if you think that you are going to race some day, then I would research what classes are raced one-design in your area and try buy one of those.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 09-03-2003

J/24?

Can you single hand a J-22? I would like to race some day and I actually have friends that race. These are the people who suggested to be that I get a J-24 saying I would like the speed and the challenge. I have crewed with a few of my friends before but realistically I don''t think I would have time to race so the boat is just a boat for me and sometimes my family to have fun on and to try and draw me away from the "dark side" of powerboats.
Old 09-03-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
J/24?

Hard to see a J24 as a family daysailer - although its an excellent racing machine, I found them extremely uncomfortable for anybody but the helmsman, as the crew all end up sitting on blocks or cleats or other un-friendly things. I wouldn''t go out on a J24 for a fun sail unless I was driving...

Look at other boats with real cockpit seats and think how comfortable your guests would be... if you expect them to come back.

The Sonar is a good example of a performance boat with real seats - comfortable for a group of six adults and several kids, all sitting at the same time!

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2003

maestro is on a distinguished road
J/24?

how about a Freedom 25???

They are comfortable, they have almost the same hull design as a J 24 but more cockpit room. Carbon fiber free standing mast ( no standing rigging)
Very fast but a PHRF of 201 !! !

Old 09-04-2003

J/24?

What do you think of the Beneteau First 235?
Old 09-04-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
J/24?

Neat boats. They offer a bit more comfort with a bit less performance than the J-24.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2003

J/24?

I''m trying to decide on a good compromise between performance and comfort. Haven''t
yet found a good boat that has the right combination of qualities. Those are performance, comfort (to a lesser degree), easy to single hand, and shallow draft.
Old 09-04-2003

J/24?

I just saw the rest of this thread. J-22''s are easy boats to single-hand, certainly easier than a J-24. They make good daysailors as well as racers. They have pretty minimal accomodations down below.

Freedoms with a PHRF at 201 are significantly slower boats than the others that we have been discussing. Not that maks them bad boats. Just slower.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2003

J/24?

I''ve been looking around for J-22''s and Kirby''s and they seem to be hard to find. I know that I''d like to have a small cabin but I don''t know if I can have both performance and accomodations. I appreciate all the ideas that have been generated in this thread. Thank you!