Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities?

Good boat...nice looking boat too if it's traditional deck...Mine was a racer for most of it's life and was rigged custom by original owner who knew what he wanted,,split adjustable backstays,all lines to cockpit,etc....some were kits where the owner added rigging.... I owned one for a year before moving onto a C-29 as I needed more headroom. I had the traditional deck...which only had 4'11 headroom...the "futura" deck version gives you almost 6-foot headroom I hear...Congrats and enjoy...those boats can take a beating for their size...just have a drop board or three in and the hatch closed when it gets to blowin as the companionway thresh-hold is fairly low...I still miss her a bit I'll say and here's a few pics i have of her..
Attached Thumbnails
Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities?-seafarer-24-cabin11.jpg   Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities?-seafarer-shrunk1.jpg  

Last edited by souljour2000; 03-08-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

as a pipefitter I see some nasty chemicals run in ss pipe at some high temps. What grade or type of SS is used in marine practice? When you mix metal or let them have contact with each other I will buy into the idea of rapid failure. I am new to this salt water eats SS like candy. I know Divers are told to wash the dive knife. I would like to know more about how fast and what is the life span of SS in marine use But this is off subject So I hope you have a good time with your new boat keep us in the know on how well she preforms
Old 03-09-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

oysterman23, good point about cutting and abrasion resistance of steel versus synthetic line for the centerboard pennant. Also, a good point about the electrical potentials in marinas.

The abrasion/cutting idea makes me think I'll just keep what I have for awhile.
Old 03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornar View Post
Congrats to purchasing the Seafarer. I have owned a similar one for many years and was very pleased with it.
I would be happy to share with you photos etc - things i have done on my boat - if you are interested.
You can contact me directly at zorang@videotron.ca
cheers
Zoran, Montreal
Thank you Mornar, I may take you up on that. Do you have a photo of the skylight over the galley? My boat has a few solid fiberglass panels that slide in a long track from the companionway entrance to almost the mast. The last section near the mast is a skylight, it looks old but looks like it's not original or no longer has the original flashing or weather proofing. I need to do something to tighten it up against the weather.

It is screwed down by perhaps five very long stainless screws along the forward edge. It is shimmed up so high that the mast could not be rotated down on the tabernacle hinge to a low position. It seems to me that the original skylight (if it was a light) would also be able to slide in the track.
Old 03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
Good boat...nice looking boat too if it's traditional deck...Mine was a racer for most of it's life and was rigged custom by original owner who knew what he wanted,,split adjustable backstays,all lines to cockpit,etc....some were kits where the owner added rigging.... I owned one for a year before moving onto a C-29 as I needed more headroom. I had the traditional deck...which only had 4'11 headroom...the "futura" deck version gives you almost 6-foot headroom I hear...Congrats and enjoy...those boats can take a beating for their size...just have a drop board or three in and the hatch closed when it gets to blowin as the companionway thresh-hold is fairly low...I still miss her a bit I'll say and here's a few pics i have of her..
Wow, your boat is a lot nicer inside than mine. Actually, the other Seafarers I've seen were also impressively nice, mine must have had the cheap interior. Nevertheless, the overall boat seems solid and well thought out. I have your picture of the rigged boat as my desktop, glad you mentioned the split adjustable backstays, I wondered about that. I have the traditional look, but would probably be glad to have the headroom in the uglier "Futura" model.
Old 03-09-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Yeah she had some nice features inside.., I added a wood floor of sorts made from wooden venetian blinds encapsulated in epoxy...the one photo was taken before I finished painting the cabin sole forward...I loved the sturdy old compression post they put in her and the bronze winch and pedestal arrangement worked well...she also surfs downwind very well with that aerodynamic ballasted swing keel. Enjoy that boat...and toast one to McCurdy/Rhodes...

Last edited by souljour2000; 03-09-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

I second Oysterman's recommendation. If you weigh the ease of doing it when the boat is out of the water, vs in the water, a routine replacement every 3-5 years seems logical, regardless of stainless or synthetic. My keel pendant broke,the unrestrained keel punched a hole in the trunk, and I ended up getting the boat hauled, as I couldn't get it back on the trailer. Comparing that to the 20 minutes or so it takes while on the trailer makes preventive maintenance preferable. I am told that the "blue steel" synthetic line is "chafe proof", but have not used it. I am planning on experimenting with a synthetic mooring cable this season.
lou
Old 03-10-2012

jamesnewsome is on a distinguished road

From a couple previous posts there seems to be some skepticism concerning my comment about the SS cable "parting," apparently due to electrolysis. This was not a second-hand report. It happened to me in 2000 when I launched my Seafarer 29.' ROMA had been in the water about a month when I noticed the loose SS cable on the winch in the cockpit. When I pulled it up the cable appeared to be "parted" about mid-length as if I had pulled from each end until it broke. Imagine a cheap cotton rope that you can pull apart.

Since this cable was installed by the previous owner prior to my purchase I assumed it was just a bad cable or not a good quality SS. I had a diver coming the same day to clean the bottom so he disconnected the other end and I took the broken SS cable to West Marine and had it send to their rigging shop to make another one. I also made sure they knew how it was going to be used.

After installing the new cable I thought I was home free until about a month later the same thing happened. I started reading and asking questions and the consensus was that the fine strands of the SS cable were subject to natural electrolysis since Stainless Steel is actually an alloy and thus contains metals of different nobility. The fine strands of the SS cable apparently allow the electrolysis process to accelerate.

I was also concerned about stray electricity around my boat so I reported the issue to the marina management and they promptly had their electrician check out the area and found no problem.

When I took the second SS cable back to W. Marine their rigging shop suggested Kevlar, which is actually stronger than SS for the same size line. 11 years later the Kevlar cable is still on ROMA and performing well. I have the bottom cleaned every month to 6 weeks, and I've cleaned it many times myself. Yes, barnacles and slim sometimes do grow on the Kevlar cable but can be removed by rubbing with my glove.

There is no sign of any abrasive wear on the Kevlar cable. Interestingly, try to cut a piece of Kevlar with a knife or wire cutters. You will find it difficult to cut even a small stand. After all, this is the material used to make bullet proof vest so the fibers are extremely strong and do not easily cut. Wonder what would happen to a bullet proof jacket made of SS cables?

When I had ROMA pulled a couple years ago I had asked the boatyard to replace the Kevlar cable, but they forgot. So that original Kevlar is still on the boat. I do occasionally have to winch up the keel, and I have a chance to inspect the line on the drum. Other than being a little stained it still looks fine.

The bottom line is that I do not completely understand the science or the exact nature of the issue that took place with the two SS cables. I do, however, completely understand the reality of the situation as it occurred on my boat, and I try to share this experience any time the subject come up.

Unfortunately, there have been several documented cases of weighted keels tearing the bottom out of sailboats because the keel cable broke. Your guess is as good as mine about whether electrolysis was the cause or there was another issue.

Since I had my original Kevlar cable made by West Marine, the newer Amsteel Blue Synthetic lines have come to market. And they have superior ratings over SS or Kevlar, so next time I'll probably switch to this material.

I hope this was helpful to anyone interested.
Lou452 likes this.
Old 03-10-2012

I'm interested, thank you. Seems strange that it lasted such a short time (unless of course it was made in China with a "lifetime guarantee").

I can't imagine wearing a steel bullet proof vest through a metal detector!

I have not ever tried cutting Kevlar. I've read that bullet proof vests are not particularly knife proof, I believe Kevlar has great tensile strength but did not realize it might resist cutting.

"The bottom line" - great choice of words for this particular issue.

Last edited by skygazer; 03-10-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

james,
I hope my post was not one you deemed doubting.
I am cautiously experimenting with replacing a lot of steel products with synthetic, and I appreciate your comments. My point was that replacing a cable when the boat is out of the water is so much easier and cheaper than changing in the water that it "pays" to be conservative. With the haul out and trunk repair, it was several hundred $$ vs. $30.00 or so for the cable. I've outlived enough lifetime warranties to be skeptical of of pretty much everything. That is more in line with Mark Twain's comments on learning from experience, that a character judgement. Sorry if I expressed myself badly.
Lou
jamesnewsome and Lou452 like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.