Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities?

james. Please excuse did not intend any personal slight and do understand that the ss cable issue is not simple. I was reading up on it last night actually...I almost went with the new line as well and may do so this spring if I see any trouble down there at all. The notion that the small diameter steel strands are prone to the pitting effect corrosion that is often noted with the ss underwater makes plenty of sense to me so forgive any unintended slight and lets use my boat as another lab rat since we already have your valid and kind of alarming example let me tell you I dont want to be around for another centerboard letting go! Once is enough thanks
anyway pax and best sailing in the Seafarer!
Cod
jamesnewsome likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnewsome View Post

After installing the new cable I thought I was home free until about a month later the same thing happened. I started reading and asking questions and the consensus was that the fine strands of the SS cable were subject to natural electrolysis since Stainless Steel is actually an alloy and thus contains metals of different nobility. The fine strands of the SS cable apparently allow the electrolysis process to accelerate.

Since I had my original Kevlar cable made by West Marine, the newer Amsteel Blue Synthetic lines have come to market. And they have superior ratings over SS or Kevlar, so next time I'll probably switch to this material.

I hope this was helpful to anyone interested.
I edited the above post, click small blue arrowhead to read the whole thing.

James, regardless of the pros and cons of synthetic line, having two stainless steel cables part in a month is amazing, there must be something more going on. While I agree the small strands of the cable make galvanic corrosion easier (more surface area per unit of volume), I don't agree that being an alloy is the cause. Galvanic corrosion happens when two dissimilar metals touch or are connected electrically. In an alloy I believe the metals are blended, and since each strand should have the same content there should be no galvanic corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnewsome View Post
I was also concerned about stray electricity around my boat so I reported the issue to the marina management and they promptly had their electrician check out the area and found no problem.
This is where I'm a bit doubtful. The electrician may have been testing for 120V AC stray current, a dangerous condition that can happen. He may not have been testing for a very weak (1.5 volt or less) DC charge. In fact, I'm not sure if he wouldn't have to have the correct alloy probe to measure it since it is in effect a chemical battery which depends on the metals involved.

Further, it is possible that the currents are within your own boat. One month is just too fast! There must be a problem.

I agree that the whole science involved is not intuitive. Here is a link that gives a decent explanation and may help you to discover where the problem lies, before it finds something else to attack.

BoatUS: Seaworthy

It's from a marine insurance company, they are motivated to reduce claims so the info is unbiased.
Old 03-13-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I may be the one that is deemed doubting and that is ok because I have little experience with salt water and cable. This is a great fourm for learning and it may save me a lot of $. Someplace along the way I may learn a thing or two. The world needs less yes men and more civil expressions ! Now I would like to know more about the grade of SS cable in use and more about Synthetics
Old 03-20-2012

sailered is on a distinguished road

I am looking at a Seafarer 24 with the swing keel. Any idea how much of the keel is exposed when fully retracted? I am trying to determine if the trailer I am looking at would have sufficient clearance.
Old 03-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailered View Post
I am looking at a Seafarer 24 with the swing keel. Any idea how much of the keel is exposed when fully retracted? I am trying to determine if the trailer I am looking at would have sufficient clearance.
Mine is just over 6 inches from the belly of the hull. I think I allowed 10 inches, and when the boat was tipped going onto the trailer it rubbed, then was free and clear after it cleared the end of the trailer.

I was dry loading on land, not floating it on.
Old 03-21-2012

jamesnewsome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailered View Post
I have a Seafarer 29, which is of similar design. Although I've never measured the exposed keel below the boat when in the retracted position, my best guess is no more than 12".

Go to the link below for a S24 named Satori. There are several good photos of the boat on a trailer with the keel fully retracted.

Satori, our Seafarer 24 - Gregg's Photos
Old 03-21-2012

James, thank you for that link. "Satori" is my boat now, purchased her last fall. I didn't know about these pictures, which should be very helpful when I try to rig it for the first time. Needs some work first.

First thing I did was measure the drop of the fully raised keel so I could fit it onto my heavy equipment trailer. It was very close to exactly 6 inches, just a bit over at one point on one end.

One picture on that site shows a separate forestay and roller furling headsail. I have zero experience with a roller furler, and actually hate the idea. I like to change jibs according to the wind conditions (hank on). If however one could furl the Genoa and hank on a working jib to the forestay, that might be OK.

Do you (or anyone) have any experience with this?
Old 03-21-2012

I enlarged the photo and see that the furled Genoa is quite large in the center, and would likely disrupt airflow with a hanked on jib.

Would this matter much if I was only doing it because there was too much wind?
Old 03-21-2012

sailered is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Mine is just over 6 inches from the belly of the hull. I think I allowed 10 inches, and when the boat was tipped going onto the trailer it rubbed, then was free and clear after it cleared the end of the trailer.

I was dry loading on land, not floating it on.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the trailer will work.
Old 03-22-2012

jamesnewsome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
James, thank you for that link. "Satori" is my boat now, purchased her last fall. I didn't know about these pictures, which should be very helpful when I try to rig it for the first time. Needs some work first.

First thing I did was measure the drop of the fully raised keel so I could fit it onto my heavy equipment trailer. It was very close to exactly 6 inches, just a bit over at one point on one end.

One picture on that site shows a separate forestay and roller furling headsail. I have zero experience with a roller furler, and actually hate the idea. I like to change jibs according to the wind conditions (hank on). If however one could furl the Genoa and hank on a working jib to the forestay, that might be OK.

Do you (or anyone) have any experience with this?
I have a Shaffer wire furler which does allow for easily dropping the furled sail and replacing with a hank-on while under way. The wire furlers were some of the earliest furling system, and fell out of favor but are making a comeback because of sail-changing while underway. I'll try to find some links and post.