Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013

71Seafer34 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities?

I forget to follow up on this thread: basically my board turned out to be structurally pinned into the trunk and glassed over. After getting a visual of the pin from the underside I knew it had to come out which turned the entire saga into a three day job. Alas, someone had done it before, hogging out a 3"x8" hole through the hull to the pins location in the trunk. The good and bad news was that that area is just out of the lead ballast and is instead a mixture of sand and epoxy. The big surprise was that the guy who did it last filled his hole with what appears to be PL400 construction adhesive! Good thing I got into it, it remained wet after the boat being on the dry for over a year. No problem-I have come up with a removable pin idea that will make it much easier and safer down the road to get the board on and off should it be necessary. The void will be sleeved and covered with a plate. Thank you all for your advice and thoughts and let me know if there are any questions about the construction of these hulls, I have some insight and understanding now. And by the way, if you ever have to get into these hulls the only thing that will even dent the sand/epoxy matrix is industrial diamond water cooled tooling. These hulls can probably really take a hit if they have to, insane strength!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Seafer34 View Post
...Thank you all for your advice and thoughts and let me know if there are any questions about the construction of these hulls, I have some insight and understanding now. And by the way, if you ever have to get into these hulls the only thing that will even dent the sand/epoxy matrix is industrial diamond water cooled tooling. These hulls can probably really take a hit if they have to, insane strength!

For some reason I have not received an email when this thread was updated. 71Seafer34, it sounds like a big project you tackled, it's great that you have access to the tools you used, and the skill to wield them. Have you taken any photos? They would be helpful for those of us trying to visualize the construction of the boat. Even if your project if finished, it would be helpful to post a photo of exactly where on the boat you had to cut etc.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechsmith View Post
There is a J shaped slot in the front of the Keel. There should be a plug or a strip screwed into the fiberglass to prevent the keel from moving forward. Remove it.

Then lift keel when up about 2 1/2" and slip it forward then the whole thing will come down. Careful mine (29' Seafarer KCB) weighed 650#. I did mine on a lift with ropes and the winches and the lift cable. A fork lift would have been handier.

The pin slides down the long leg of the "J" moves forward and slides up to the short leg of the "J". View from the port side. I would check it carefully. I have heard of three of them that broke off at the hook. Seafarer Research Center has a bit of a discussion a few pages back.
Mechsmith, this is the information that I've searched for. I've not seen it anywhere else, you seem the be the sole source of the centerboard removal secret. If you ever feel like doing a diagram and posting it, that would be very helpful in visualizing the setup and the motion you describe. Or perhaps you could make some more word pictures for us, like is the "J" rightside up and backwards when viewed from the port side, and does the 2 1/2 inch lift of the board slide the pin down the long part of the "J"?

Is the centerboard in the up position or fully down when you lift and remove? I'm guessing the down (extended) position.

I just tried to look at my boat, but the way it sits on the trailer I can't get a decent look at it.

I hope I'm one of the lucky ones that have the removable setup, unlike poor 71Seafer34 who had such a mighty struggle with his.

Thank you for posting your seemingly unique and definitely valuable information.
Old 10-21-2013
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road

If you have the same as mine the keel is all the ways up to prepare for removeing.

Visualize from the port side. The long end of the "J" comes out of the keel. The short end is about three inches (or a little more) towards the top of the keel from the bottom. The "J" is kind of flattened at the bottom.

Pick the keel up flat and straight, move it forward till the long end of the slot bumps against the pin. Then it will come down. There is (or should be) a strip of stainless to prevent the keel from moving forward till you want it to. Mine wasn't factory at this point but I can think of other ways to prevent the keel from moving forward unintentionally. Yours may have a different method.
Old 10-21-2013

Thank you Mechsmith, that is clearer to me.