Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
You have more photos on one of the last posts of the interesting sailboats thread. Regarding the owner is a Russian but I suspect that the boat is to sell:

"The Dream Symphony megayacht project started just after Dream Ship Victory shipyard have attended the 2010 Monaco Yacht Show and signed a contract for her design and construction.

The contract was signed between the above mentioned naval architects Dykstra & Partners, her exterior stylists from Ken Freivokh Design and Valeriy Stepanenko, the Owner of Dream Ship Victory shipyard. On the 9th of February, the builders, designers and naval architects of the 141m Dream Symphony Yacht, met in Amsterdam to finalise the design and technical proposal under the direction of Valeriy Stepanenko.

Following excellent wind tunnel test results and approval of the exciting and quite unique concepts developed by the design team under the direction of Valeriy Stepanenko, the project has now received a full and enthusiastic go-ahead to move forward to construction. The keel laying will take place at Dream Ship Victory’s facility in Turkey later this Summer. Once launched, Dream Symphony megayacht, that has excited all of the yachting world, will take over the title from the currently longest superyacht EOS measuring 93 m.

Dykstra & Partners — Luxury Yacht Charter & Superyacht News
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Was wondering as I saw a Seaward 23 that had a free standing mast. Think it is cat rigged.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Lack of performance? Not really. And a jibe isn't a problem - in any wind strength!

Project Amazon is the first pic.
Project Amazon was an Open 60 racer, a solo boat, that even if it was theoretically interesting because of its unusual sail and mast configuration never experienced any success regarding its more "normal" competitors. the boat was considerably slower and also more expensive to built.

That was what I meant, way more expensive and less efficient

The boat was for sale for many years with a very low price without nobody touching it. I don't now if it is sold by now.

Regards

Paulo
Old 09-29-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
(beginning with some trepidation...)

Aside from the Freedoms, the other common free standing mast rig is the Junk Rig. First let me say that most people who sail a bermudan (pointy triangle) rig have a gut revulsion for the junk rig so I know what I'm getting myself into here.

The number one advantage to a freestanding mast is that you can square the main sail straight out at 90* to the boat. There are no shrouds to chafe on or stop the motion of the sail.

Second, as mentioned above, you can't break anything (except your skull) in a surprise jibe. The jibe isn't the problem, it's the sudden stop when the boom hits the shrouds. Otherwise, after a while the sail just dumps the wind and stops.

Although there have been several posts already regarding the potential for breakage on a free standing mast, one can only look at the frequency of dismasting because one measly shroud breaks. I would disregard any claim that the risk of breaking a free standing mast is higher. Stuff does break, there's no doubt to that.

It is true that, in order to be free standing, the mast must be bigger than a stayed mast. Think of it as the stays being "inside" the mast. On the other hand, it is not necessarily true that the mast adds windage or weight aloft, because stays themselves have windage and weight aloft. (And make a lotta noise.) Add to that spreaders and other hardware, and the difference is debatable and would take considerable wind tunnel research to get a definitive answer. Damfino.

Most junk boats are conversions, because one thing that can't be denied is that the pointy white triangle sells better. It takes a certain kind of hard head to go against conventional thought. There have been, that I know of, three companies that have tried to compete by offering factory junk rigs, and they're all gone now... of course, most of the other sailboat companies that existed in the twentieth century are gone now too, but still, there it is.

Most junk conversions carry about 20% more sail than the original total of the bermudan rig on the same boat, due to ease of reefing and management. This, plus the ability to square the sail right off, gives a hands-down advantage off the wind, unless measured against someone who chooses to use a spinnaker. Typically one will find that the bermudan rig has the advantage on a beat, and a well designed, cambered (to provide lift) junk rig will have the advantage over about 180* from reach through run to the other reach. For more on the cambered junk rig, by a primary developer of the concept, see here. This makes the junk rig popular among some cruisers, since few cruisers really want to spend a lot of time beating into the wind. On the other hand racers, especially round-the-buoys racers, have no use for it.

The real glory of the junk is in single-handing. One never goes up on the foredeck (except to anchor). There's no sail up there to change. One reefs from the cockpit in five seconds or less with one hand. To tack one just puts the helm over... no jib, no jib sheets. Short tacks are a piece of cake.

I doubt strongly that there is another junk rig aficionado on SailNet. Surely I would have heard from him or her by now. Two places where one can find more information, and encounter other people who approve of the rig and the free standing mast commonly used with it, are the Junk Rig Association, linked in my sig, and the Yahoo Junkrig Group.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.

Last edited by junkrig; 09-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Paolo

Project Amazon had many unique features including a keel that canted 30 degrees to either side. The keel was modified before the race and this led to a fuel leak from the tanks integral to the keel. This is why she never finished the race - money was an issue as well and the plans were modified by the builder without Eric Sponberg's permission.

But she was fast - From Eric Sponberg's site:
Attached Thumbnails
Free Standing Mast-.jpg   Free Standing Mast-b.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Junkrig

Paul Howard and Fiona McCall, with 2 kids, completed a circumnavigation on 28 foot steel-hulled junk.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrig View Post
(beginning with some trepidation...)

Aside from the Freedoms, the other common free standing mast rig is the Junk Rig. ...
What do you mean by that. I see stays on these masts and in all I have seen:

Regards

Paulo
Old 09-29-2011

Comparing a conventional sloop to a boat with a freestanding rig there is more cost in the mast - but no rigging to pay for or maintain and a much smaller sail inventory as well.

There are always few willing to build a boat very different from the norm. But there have been many over the years, some quite successful such as Rodger Martin's "Grey Wolf" shown below. Tanton has also designed many boats with free standing rigs - his most popular is the Tanton 43 - 2nd pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Free Standing Mast-sailboat-classic-sloop-custom-made-105675.jpg   Free Standing Mast-3238187_0_20110209070428_9_0.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011

junkrig

You are not the only fan of the junk rig I don't think - I have been a fan of Jester - probably the most famous junk rigged boat of modern times, first with Blondie Hasler and then Michael Richey through the years. While not the fastest certainly easy to sail long distances without having to even go outside.
Jester

The first pic is Jester and the second is a similar boat named "China Blue"
Attached Thumbnails
Free Standing Mast-1051.jpg   Free Standing Mast-china-blue.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011

And Annie Hill's "Badger" is well proven as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Free Standing Mast-bookvoyaging_on_a_small_income.jpg