Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003

res04ics is on a distinguished road
Islander 30

I am looking at purchasing a 1981 Islander 30. Can anyone give me any ensight on this boat, sailing characteristics, quality, etc.

Thanks,
Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2003

joub is on a distinguished road
Islander 30

Suggest you get on the Islander list islander-list@sailnet.net. While this is a list for all islander owners, there are many I-30 owners that I am sure would be happy to answer your questions.

I happen to own a I-36, but am somewhat familiar with the I-30...it''s a good boat and worth looking into.

Fairwinds,

Jim
Old 09-08-2003

res04ics is on a distinguished road
Islander 30

Thanks for the response, I''ll check out the other list.

Ron
Old 02-13-2004

cobra57 is on a distinguished road
Islander 30

Hi every one
finnally figured out how to get into the
board here still working on a few things.
Over the thanks Giving holiday I purchased
a Islander 28'' w/ standard 5'' draft. She
had been damaged during the hurricane last
summer and lost her mast. The nearest that
I can figure is that I need a mast of 36.8''
the luff on the main sail is 30''. any ideas
as to where I can find a used mast would be
appriceated fair winds too you
cobra@aiserve.net
Old 02-14-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road
Islander 30

most spar manufactureres have specs. for many boats. Try calling someone like forespar, dwyer, etc. and see if they have the measurements. If not, I''m sure the Islander email list will have an owner who can tell you, then all you have to do is call up a spar manufacturere and have them cut you the appropriate length spar.
Old 02-16-2004

rjwright is on a distinguished road
Islander 30

I owned a used 1983 Islander Bahama 30 for almost 10 years. The Bahama is essentially the same as the Islander 30, but with a less "teaky", i.e. less expensive interior. Actually I preferred the brighter interior of the Bahama, but that is just a matter of preference. I liked my boat. It was powered by a 13hp raw water cooled Volvo MD7. I never had a problem with the engine, but I was sailing in fresh water. Obviously these old loud, vibrating beasts are expensive to repair or replace, so look carefully at that.

The boat has a very shallow bilge and water damage to the cabin sole can be a real project. This was compounded by the fact that the icebox and the shower drained directly into the bilge, with no sump. Not the best design in that regard.

With the deck stepped mast, take a close look for any deck weakness due to compression post issues. I never had any problem with my deck or the glass work, in general. Blistering, though, was a problem on my boat.

For the most part, boats of that era seem to have come with pressure alcohol stoves/ovens. What a PITA I replaced mine with a propane stove. I believe the standard water tankage on these boats was only 20 gallons, although an additional 20 gallon water tank may have been added as an option.

On the plus side, for a 30'' boat, these boats were great for the type of sailing I was doing. The cockpits are very comfortable, and the boat sailed reasonably well. I think they sail better if they don''t have too large a headsail. I routinely kept a 110 on my furler and felt I could keep the boat on it''s feet better with a smaller headsail. Even in relatively light air, I thought the boat was a decent sailor.

In summary, I think the Islander 30 is a decent boat. A good survey is probably money well spent, as there could be some expensive "issues", but probably none unique to Islander. In general, I think these boats are comparable to Catalina 30s of the same vintage, but I preferred the Islander. These boats were/are very popular where I sail (Lake Texoma).
Old 02-17-2004

dpboatnut is on a distinguished road
Islander 30

In looking at my PHRF rate list, I noticed that there''s a listing for an Islander30 at 138, then a mark2 at 180, mark 3 at 168, and the bahama at 174. Most boats get quicker as new releases are sold, so what''s the difference between the plain 30 and the later models? I''m not familiar with the brand, but I''d like to eventually get into a boat with some lower numbers, and was curious about these. What years were the "fast" ones produced, and how are they different, or recognizable?

thanks,
Chad