Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011

paulopinto is on a distinguished road
Red face First Boat 2 Options

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and first boat buyer (20-23ft). This is harder than buying a house . I plan spending 4K for the boat and reserve 2K for extras. (total 6k) The boat will be moored so I decided to look for a fixed keel. I live in Miami and plan to use the boat to sail the bay and the ICW.

I really like the CAPE DORY 22 and the CATALINA 22 (wing keel).

What do you guys think of these boats?

I am more inclined for the CapeDory because I feel she's a little boat that behaves like an adult, but I'm not sure if getting parts will be a pain... Getting parts for the CAT seems so easy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulopinto View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and first boat buyer (20-23ft). This is harder than buying a house . I plan spending 4K for the boat and reserve 2K for extras. (total 6k) The boat will be moored so I decided to look for a fixed keel. I live in Miami and plan to use the boat to sail the bay and the ICW.

I really like the CAPE DORY 22 and the CATALINA 22 (wing keel).

What do you guys think of these boats?

I am more inclined for the CapeDory because I feel she's a little boat that behaves like an adult, but I'm not sure if getting parts will be a pain... Getting parts for the CAT seems so easy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paulo
I suspect you'll find that most parts that you end up replacing can be bought from manufacturers like Harken and so on, often in greatly upgraded form. Lets face it, most of what wears out is blocks, lines, sails, and engine parts and you won't be buying them from the boat builder. Everything else can be fabricated.

The manufacturer of my Bristol has been out of business for 15 years and so far I haven't found that a problem. Bristol tended to use top quality fittings from vendors that are mostly still in business today.

That Cape Dory looks nice, BTW....
Old 10-04-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
They're both good boats, just different. The CD will be heavy and not that fast. The design is old but should not be confused with better or more stable. Just different. The Cat 22 is a solid boat but not as "shippy" as the CD. Since she is not full keeled , she will probably be a bit faster and maybe point higher. The overhang in the CD loses a lot of internal space and waterline, reducing speed potential. But she looks good.

I have a LOT of experience in the Cat22 - my father owned one and I worked for the dealer. My brother-in-law had a CD Typhoon and now has a CD 25D so I'm familiar with the brand. My opinion is to by the boat that you like best. You won't go wrong in this price range. BTW - Your thumbnail cost estimates are rational, IMO.
Old 10-04-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
To sail Biscayne Bay, I would go with the Catalina. You won't have to worry about going aground nearly as much. The Catalina is also a better light air performer. The seabreeze is nice, but my very limited experience on the Bay was that those big buildings on Miami Beach did a pretty good job of blocking the wind at the water level. And the CD certainly has more brightwork to take care of. As I recall, aren't the coamings mahogany on that boat? If so, you can't let that weather like teak; it has to be varnished or otherwise protected, and the Florida sun is hell on that stuff. Take the ongoing maintenance into account when choosing.

That being said, either boat will do you fine at that price. I would buy the one that is in better condition, "better" defined as (in my own order of importance) no blisters or delamination on the hull; no soft spots on the deck; engine condition; sail condition. And the only reason sails are last on my list here is because for boats that size, good used sails will run you less than a new outboard.

As far as support goes, Catalina is still in business and makes a good amount of money and good will supporting its old boats. And although CD is long gone, MarkSF is right, it doesn't make that much difference in finding parts or fixing things.
Old 10-04-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
"aren't the coamings mahogany on that boat?"

Coamings are teak on the CDs that I've seen
Old 10-04-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
"aren't the coamings mahogany on that boat?"

Coamings are teak on the CDs that I've seen
Then you can let those weather! My friend's CD Typhoon has mahogany coamings. The one CD 22 I have seen in person looked like it had mahogany coamings too. Maybe not; I wasn't paying close attention and it was about 15 years ago.

At least the coamings are relatively easy to care for: flat surfaces that you can sand. And if you don't take good care of them, they will just look crappy. Its the wooden toe rails on those boats that scare me. Not only are they hard to care for, I am really afraid of what's underneath. If you don't keep them up and well-bedded, you will have deck problems for sure. They look fantastic, but require a certaint type of owner: one who likes projects.
Old 10-04-2011

That's a good point mstern, lots of wood all around the little CD.
Old 10-04-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
I think Sabreman did a good job describing the differences in how the two sail.

Caring for brightwork is either a relaxing afternoon and a six pack or something you hate with a passion. You already know which camp you're in.

A couple of additional thoughts. The Catalina 22 may not be as heavy as the Cape Dory, but she is a pretty tough little boat.

If you have any thoughts of racing the Catalina 22 is an active class, and you may find a group of C22 racers in the Miami area.

If/when you ever decide you want to sell the boat it may be easier to sell the Catalina. These boats have a real following.

We sailed a Catalina 22 for two seasons before stepping up to a Catalina 30. Loved that little boat and still miss her.

All that said let me ask you this. If all else is equal and the boats are in similar condition what is your heart telling you?

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-04-2011

Jim,
My instinct tells me the CAT is the right boat; but somehow the CD made me think twice since all CD owners highly recommend their boats. I have sailed the CAT 22 before but not the CD.
I know both are good boats, I just hope to choose the one that better fits my style.
I'll be inspecting both on Thursday and I'm confident that the "right" boat will call to me when we meet in person. Till then I'll keep enjoying this boat purchasing voyage.
Old 10-04-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
the Cape Dory build quality should be far superior to a Cat 22.

I would look carefully at the weight of the Cat 22, there should be a relatively wide range of weight the boats actually ended up coming out if the factory.

I recall the Cat 22 is a chopper gun lay-up and the Ce Dory is solid hand laid FRG.

Tags
cape dory 22 , catalina 22