Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011

BJSoCal is on a distinguished road
That's my current delima, we want to sail, but live on it at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passat View Post
Take into consideration: if you're going to cruise 98% you liveaboard and 2% sail. Cabin layout and comfort also most important things your spouse need. You deside what your priorities. For that reason I'm all Hunter, currenly looking for 376.
I think Hunter just found its next salesman or social marketing department employee...

Old 10-09-2011

Passat is on a distinguished road
What can I say... my wife, daughters, friends heard from me same thing many times, maybe it's sound annoying but I love 376 and can't wait to get one.
Old 10-10-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSoCal View Post
Yes, no stays.

I'm just curious why the Hunter isn't a good "sail boat"? I really love the cabin layout over the Catalina.
If that was for me, I don't think I quite said Hunter's aren't good sailboats, just that the Visions are not among the boats I would consider.

Stayless rigs are not common and many experienced sailors would be skittish of buying one which limits your market when its time to move up/down/out.

We used to be in a marina adjacent to one of the largest Hunter dealers on the Chesapeake and there were probably 5 Hunters for every other brand of boat in our marina, many owned by folks that had moved up from smaller Hunters, and I don't remember there being a Vision boat in the bunch. Point is, Visions are rare even where there are high concentrations of Hunters. If you like Hunter's then buy one, but I still argue you'd be doing yourself a favor to buy one of their more popular/common models.
Old 10-10-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A Catalina 36 is one of the most livable boats out there for its size... and it would sail circles (literally) around a Vision 36 any day of the week.

As a SAILBOAT there's no contest.... as a liveaboard I'm not at all sure I'd give the nod to the Hunter either.

And Passat.... the 376 is a totally different beast than the Vision series, but for my money the Legend series (33.5,35.5,37.5) are much better boats.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-10-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
A Catalina 36 is one of the most livable boats out there for its size... and it would sail circles (literally) around a Vision 36 any day of the week.

As a SAILBOAT there's no contest.... as a liveaboard I'm not at all sure I'd give the nod to the Hunter either.
I totally concur. I've had 2 Cat 36s. Lived aboard the first, still have the second. Great boat for a couple, palatial for a single. Lead keel, sails well and some fool even circumnavigated in one.

Mike
Old 11-12-2011

mohave_steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
I totally concur. I've had 2 Cat 36s. Lived aboard the first, still have the second. Great boat for a couple, palatial for a single. Lead keel, sails well and some fool even circumnavigated in one.

Mike
I have been looking about to figure out our likes & dislikes in a potential liveaboard. I hadn't looked at the Catalina's until I came across this thread. I think I am going to take a look at a couple for sale over in Seattle. From the pictures I have seen online they look like a comfortable & efficient layout for a 36.

BUT.....

If the urge struck me to cross oceans, and maybe even consider circumnavigation, is the Catalina a poor choice?
Old 11-12-2011

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Ford vs Chevy?
Old 11-12-2011

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Ford vs Chevy?
I disagree. More like Ford Vs. Honda. Don't think Honda is the better car? Put 150,000 miles on similar Fords and Hondas...advertise both in classified media and see what happens. I guarantee you will have 5 times more calls on the Honda and it will sell quicker for a higher price.
Old 11-12-2011

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve View Post
I have been looking about to figure out our likes & dislikes in a potential liveaboard. I hadn't looked at the Catalina's until I came across this thread. I think I am going to take a look at a couple for sale over in Seattle. From the pictures I have seen online they look like a comfortable & efficient layout for a 36.

BUT.....

If the urge struck me to cross oceans, and maybe even consider circumnavigation, is the Catalina a poor choice?
If you look at the Cat 36, also look at the Cat 34 as well. Interior space isn't that much different and it has a completely different layout that suits some people better than the 36.

Circumnavigating with a Catalina? It's a nice boat but isn't built for bluewater sailing. Not to say a properly re-fitted Catalina can't do it, but if you want to do bluewater sailing, get a boat that was designed from the keel up for that purpose.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.