Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011

BAXTEP is on a distinguished road
Planning on purchasing a 2012 Beneteau Oceanis 34

We went to the sailboat show at Annapolis and I really liked the 34 in person so I'm thinking of going forward and using the 12.5K show discount that Beneteau is offering. As a relatively new boater (I have a 28' Coronado currently) I have a couple questions that might sound beaten up but please hear me out:

1. My wife tells me that air conditioning is a must. Do I need an Air Conditioner (I dock in Chicago, Burnham Harbor)?

2. Forums tell me to get shoal draft keel (4'6" draft) instead of standard (6'1" draft). I fear that loosing upwind performance would be really noticable on this boat, however I'm planning on cruising down the Michigan shore and looking at the map and reading stories I'm thinking safety is probably first.

3. I'm also going to order classic mast with fully battened main sail. I don't trust in-mast furling. However question comes would I be able to sail her single handed?

4. And the last question is about folding propeller. Beneteau option sheet asks for 2.5K for it, is it really worth that much for a piece of clever designed brass?

Thank you in advance for any insight you might shed on these questions.

Have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXTEP View Post
We went to the sailboat show at Annapolis and I really liked the 34 in person so I'm thinking of going forward and using the 12.5K show discount that Beneteau is offering. As a relatively new boater (I have a 28' Coronado currently) I have a couple questions that might sound beaten up but please hear me out:

1. My wife tells me that air conditioning is a must. Do I need an Air Conditioner (I dock in Chicago, Burnham Harbor)?

2. Forums tell me to get shoal draft keel (4'6" draft) instead of standard (6'1" draft). I fear that loosing upwind performance would be really noticable on this boat, however I'm planning on cruising down the Michigan shore and looking at the map and reading stories I'm thinking safety is probably first.

3. I'm also going to order classic mast with fully battened main sail. I don't trust in-mast furling. However question comes would I be able to sail her single handed?

4. And the last question is about folding propeller. Beneteau option sheet asks for 2.5K for it, is it really worth that much for a piece of clever designed brass?

Have a wonderful day!
We sail on the Chespeake and AC was a must for us, but I wouldn't think it would be required in Chicago. That said, boat AC units are reverse cycle, so it would provide heat while at the dock which might extend your season a while. Whatever the case if the wife says its a must, its a must.

I'd let your sailing area dictate you keel choice. You can safely sail a deep keel boat even here on the Chesapeake, however anything much over 5.5 feet increases your chances of finding the bottom when you head into many of the creeks and bays. Wing keels are very common on cruising boats here so I'd suggest buying what's common where you sail.

To simplify single handing you'll need an autopilot and you may want to consider a Mack Pack type lazyjack/sailbag system and perhaps a low friction system like Strongtrack from Tides Marine.

I agree that folding/feathering props are stupid expensive, but against the cost of a brand new boat it wouldn't add much to your payment and they do improve light air performance signficantly.
Faster likes this.
Old 10-12-2011
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
midlifesailor got it right... if she says it's a must, IT'S A MUST! Keel, go with what works for your sailing area and regions you may visit... yes, safety first should be your primary consideration. Folding prop, don't have one and don't miss it. Perhaps if I had one I'd feel differently.

When you say Beneteau 34 are you talking about the 343? Have you sailed one? Recommend you try to get a sail on the boat you decide to purchase before you buy.

Just my thoughts, Good Luck...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 10-12-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd go for the feathering/folding prop myself, esp when you look at the cost vs the price of the boat... small change at that point.

I think this is the new Oceanus 34, not the 343.. quite different boats. We saw a 34 at Seattle earlier this year.. quite liked it although the keel casting was kinda rough...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-12-2011

BAXTEP is on a distinguished road
Thank you for all the replies, these are helpful and assuring that I'm thinking in correct direction!
Old 10-12-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Air conditioned on a 34 ft boat has a problem because you don't have enough battery power to run it, except on the marina and as in the Chicago area you will need more heating than cold, I think a heater would be a better solution.

I know that the air conditioner will also work for heating but you can only use that at the marina because while you are at anchor, the consumption of that more the freezer and the lights will be too much.

Try instead a Webasto heater or similar. They work on diesel (low consumption) and you can be used while sailing or at the anchorage.

Webasto Marine Comfort -*Air heater, water heater, water station for boats and yachts - for increased comfort on board

If you plan to stay out of the marina for some time, consider having led lights on the interior as well on the navigation lights and on the anchor light.

Regarding the propeller, that is expensive for a folding propeller on a 34ft boat. You can stay with the original one as a spar and fit one of those:

http://www.kiwiprops.co.nz/

Kiwiprop Home of the Kiwi feathering prop

They are very good and less expensive (about half the price):

And congratulations for your new boat

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-12-2011

Peas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXTEP View Post

Have a wonderful day!

1. AC is a must. We sail on Lake Ontario and we just installed it on our 40.7 We had it on our last boat and did without on this boat for a season and a half. We can get some really hot days on Lake Ontario, and the season is short enough that you want to make the most of it. Also the dehumidifying feature is really nice to keep things fresh and mold down.
2. My draft is 7'9". So to me a 6' draft is a shoal keel! Sure there are some harbours I cannot get into, so I go to other places. When you touch bottom on this lake, it's just sand anyhow.
3. Get lazy jacks and go with the conventional main. I sail the 40.7 single handed with no furling on the main or jib and will throw up the kite for a challenge single handed all the time. Well, sort of...the wife is on board but sleeping or reading or doing something other than sailing...
4. Definitely get a folding prop. Maybe not the factory beneteau option...but definitely get a folding prop. You'll sail 1/2 a knot faster. Makes a difference on those long passageways...and at those times in light air when its marginal between dropping the sails and running with the iron jenny.

Good luck with the purchase!
Old 10-12-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Does this model ship with a lead or steel keel? Get the lead keel if a choice, if it comes with a steel keel, then the cost of as professional epoxy coat and fairing should be added to the bottom of the order form. It'll be easier to do it properly before the keel gets wet, than a year or two down the road.
Faster likes this.

Last edited by sailingfool; 10-13-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
A couple of comments from the owner of a similarly sized boat (33 foot Cal).

You definitely can single hand with a conventional main. Mine came with a Dutchman system and a full battened main. I have no trouble single handing the boat.

Cost of the prop depends on the model they will provide. Mine has a Martec Elliptec folder. Works great. A new one for my boat is about $1000, but most others are about double that. You could get the standard prop and put on a Martec later if you are unhappy with the performance. You'd save money and have a spare prop.
Old 10-13-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Does this model ship with a lead or steel keel? Get the lead keel if a choice, if it comes with a steel keel, then the cost of as professional epoxy coat and fairling should be added to the bottom or the order form. It'll be easier to do it properly before the keel gets wet, than a year or two down the road.
I agree on the lead keel fore a number of reasons that does not include that one because a new boat should always have at least two coats of Epoxy coat, lead keel or not. That is normally proposed by the shipyard on a package with anti fouling. The reason is that is the only way to make the hull completely watertight and prevent future osmosis.

The lead keel however is a very expensive extra and not all the boats have it as an option (it is always an option on the more sportive ones).

Regards

Paulo