Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Ditto Barry,

My Lancer 25 is launched pretty easily with her shoal keel. We have 5'-10 head room, but the galley is what you'd expect: a camp stove on one side and an ice box to your rear, or your rear on the icebox. The "head" room is limited. It takes quite a docking maneuver to get into it. We've sailed for a week at a time and it gets small. I'll take it 10 miles out without a worry and have sailed 25 knot winds . . . with a few worries.

Get a copy of "The Complete Trailer Sailor" as was suggested. It will help with lots of things including the right boat to pick.

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2011

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
A S2 7.9 has a retractable keel (actually a weighted daggerboard I believe). Is trailerable and a good solid sailing boat
ppiccolo1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2011

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
Cool ideas people. I'm finding that half the fun of this project is all the shopping and exploring and learning and monkeying around with different ideas. Fortunately, during the meantime, I still have the powered boat to take out and spend some quality nights on the water. I also built a small sailing dinghy (stich n glue method) this past winter to use as a tender for the big boat - - -and in the future, with my liveaboard.

In perusing the advertisements for used boats out there, I'm wishing I was closer to a major sailing market - seattle area is the closest to us here.

Thanks again for your insights.

~markb
Old 10-20-2011

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road
Great thread guys! I am also looking in the 25'-28' range. The convenience and storage savings of trailering and mooring for the season, intrigues me. Also, if I buy a 27'-30' on the Great Lakes, then decide to move out west, what a hassle....but the seaworthiness of a trailerable does certainly concern me.... As far as comfort. I have chartered 25' for a week and was quite content, so I think I'd be good for extended stays, but then again, I lived in a VW bus for 2 summers...more thoughts?
Old 02-09-2012

decison made - bought a boat!!!

thank you for all your comments and thoughts.

looked at a TON of boats. This is kinda fun - - but rather obsessive too. We ended up with an older Catalina 27 with a heavy fin keel. Yep, a little more hassle when having to move/trailer/step the mast, but all in all, we decided on priorities. We wanted a vessel with a fair amount of room inside and reasonable headroom. And also the heavy keel/ballast for safety, as we're new with the cruiser size boats.

To be sure, it will will be harder to trailer/launch/setup, but what's an extra hour on each end, if it's a better fit for what we want to do with it.

Hoping for an early spring and time on the water (soon)!

thx,

~markb
Attached Thumbnails
fixed keel or retractable keel?-dscn0803.jpg   fixed keel or retractable keel?-dscn0802.jpg  
ppiccolo1 likes this.
Old 02-09-2012

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
Congrats!
Old 02-09-2012

Congrats! That's exactly what I'm looking at 27" Catalina with a trailer in the $7k-$10k range! I'm jealous...
Old 02-20-2012

We are now scouring CraigsList and eBay looking for heavy trailer to be able to move this around when needed. We plan to leave it moored on Flathead Lake (Montana) here most of the summer/fall, but would like to be able to bring it home to work on it this spring while we're waiting for the water level to rise enough for launching.

Then of course, there's that long road trip to Florida, splash, and then to the Bahamas for the summer next year!!!

Not to hijack my own thread (grin), but I'd sure welcome any ideas on finding a trailer for this girl.

~markb
Old 02-20-2012

I just bought a 25 with trailer included just for that reason... We should start a data base of trailers available for hire would have made life easier. I scoured the web for hours looking for trailers due to boats that interested me, but didn't have them. BTW I have a 25' cat trailer that's only used 2x a year if anyone needs to borrow it!
Old 02-20-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
As someone who has done something similar here are my thoughts. FYI, I did this with a 2003 Hunter 260. It's water ballasted with a swing keel and enclosed head.

I did a trip from Chicago to northern Lake Michigan and it took me about a month exactly, I stopped to smell the roses so to speak, several times. All in all, I would happily do it again. Most aspects of the trip were perfectly fine. The swing keel gives you almost unlimited choices for marinas or anchorages, mine is under 2ft draft when raised. The interior IS cramped but with some careful planning it is easily managed. My boat had a 20gal fresh water tank and I also carried another 20gals in portable tanks. Looking back, being in fresh water, that was overkill and the additional space would have been more helpful. You'll have to decide for yourself though.

The head was an area of concern for me. To be frank, no matter what, on a 25-27ft boat an enclosed head is just plain cramped. Taking a dump in one, while underway, SUCKS! But it is doable.

Storage is probably different for every boat but on mine it was no problem. I was able to store all the tools I needed in my lazarettes or down below. None of it was hard to reach either but this an area where forethought can save you some headache. Take some time to think about what your likely to need most often and keep those items in the easiest places to access. For instance I kept most of my screws/nuts/bolts/cotter pins, spare line, tools, flair/rescue kit in the port side lazarette and things like drills and electrical stuff down below. Just take some time and think about these things on your shorter jaunts to help you prepare for your longer ones.

Food, for me, was easy. I if I never have another bowl of ramon noodles, it will be too soon! I bought plastic containers to help keep things like bread and cookies and cereal fresh. and then tried to eat things, like ramon noodles that would last me without need to be kept cool. This brings me to the issue of cooling food for storage. The stock cooler that came with my boat was simply not big enough. I used it and another cooler, a 60qt coleman, for mostly drinks and the occasional left-over from a restaurant or the rare times I have cold cuts on-board. I also bought more ice than I would need and kept the extra covered up in the dingy, I really really hate warm drinks except coffee. Kind of a pita but still workable. By the way towing your dingy is a great way to increase storage.

Finally, the sailing. Man what a friggen blast it was to be cruising and going pretty much where ever the hell I wanted! Awesome! In a small boat you do have to be somewhat more conscious of the weather. I listened to the NOAA weather voice so much he was almost like my buddy. I did find that occasionally the wind wasn't quite what was foretasted and my range decreased as a result. Sometimes leaving me without anywhere to stay for the night. In a small boat this can be fun or it can suck. Planning will decide which.

If you want to do this, I say terrific! Go do it! There is a group out of Ft Lauderdale that sails 260's and Mac 26x's (among others) to Bimini every year. I can remember their name but you should be able to find them via google. As I said, I had a blast and I cannot wait until I can do it again. I have done a month on Mich and a month on Ontario. Loved each and every minute of it.

My last bit of advice would be to find the owners association of whatever boat you chose and find out what things are likely to break/wear and then stock up on replacements. Also go over the boat with a fine tooth comb for the same reason. It's not as hard you might think. It would really blow to have a trip stopped because some small piece if out of stock.

Any other questions feel free to ask here or via PM. Or you can ignore this too LOL. Anyway, fair winds my man! Enjoy.

Oh and to the naysayers... Attitude: it's the difference between ordeal and adventure.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED