Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011

Ideagolfer is on a distinguished road
Choices,choices

Hello all,i'm new to Sailnet. I currently have a Hobie 16 which i've sailed for a couple years but am looking to buy a small cruiser. To start,what i'm looking for is something simple,tiller steer,outboard,fixed keel. I have a couple boats in mind,one is a Pearson 26 the other is a Grampian 26. There's a couple of both for sale currently in NC. I've researched both,the Pearson on Dan Pfeiffer's page and the Grampian on the Grampian site and really like both designs. Good things have been said about both. I'm leaning toward the Grampian because of the 6'0'' headroom because i'm 5'11'' tall. But I don't plan to live aboard,race,or sail around the world in it,just weekenders to the OBX and day sails. I guess what I'm really asking is which would be a better starter boat? Or is there a better choice I have missed?

Last edited by Ideagolfer; 10-21-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

There are lots and lots of gold old boats in the 25' - 28' range. IMHO, they are all mostly the same. At the age of the boats you are looking at, the biggest determining factor in the boats condition will be care and love (or not) it received.

Some common manufactures include O'day, Catalina, S2, Irwin, Hunter, Tartan, Cal and on and on. Catalina 27 would be a great choice.

I would suggest going to a few local marinas and walking around looking at boats. You might even find a few for sale signs.

Good luck
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2011

Ideagolfer is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply Barry. And thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at some catalina and hunter 27's but in reading posts on here and other places most sailors regard them as junk and prone to serious issues. Which is sad in a way,I seen a 1979 Hunter 27 I really liked but kind of brushed off because of stuff I read. I know its all in how a boats been treated but from what i've read the build quality was low on those two. But being i've never been onboard or sailed either I don't know much about them other than what I've read. But whatever I decide on will be surveyed!
Old 10-21-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
In Real Estate, it's the "Three L's". In used sailboat purchasing it's the "Three C's"; Condition, Condition, Condtion!!!!

And, don't let any internet critics sway you away from any boat that you like and is in good condition. Just by your first post, I have this feeling that this won't be your last sailboat purchase, so shop accordingly. The Previous Owner(s) will have everything to do with this first one, as current condition is all a product of good maintenance. Shop around, take plenty of sea trials, and the "right" one will speak to you. Good luck and keep us posted.

On a related side note, I was in your shoes only a few years ago. Practically EVERY "online sailing professional" (lol) recommended NOT to purchase a Bayliner/US Yacht. So, what did I do? I bought one. It was a small 22', fin keel. I still miss that boat. She sailed like a champ and was quicker than she should've been, and I had zero problems. Plus, I "made a little" when she got sold. Just another worthless 2 cents.

Last edited by emoney; 10-21-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
For a cat sailor? Heck yeah.

Stiletto 27. Goes like hell and great for summer weekends.
Sail Delmarva: Stiletto Stuff

But then again, I owned one for many years and am biased. If I had the time and money for 2 boats I would NEVER have sold it. Definitely the most fun for the $$.

Specific to the OBX, it has a way shallow draft. Look at the charts!

Alternatively, the F-24 looks very cool.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.