Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Does not look like any marine stove I have ever seen. Is it propane ? if so make sure it has thermocouples. Thermocouples shut off the propane supply if the flame goes out. If there are no thermocouples I would suspect the integrity of the entire propane system.

Last edited by boatpoker; 10-26-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2011

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by triathjohn View Post
How do you hire someone. Is there a title to look for such as 'home inspector' for a house?
OOOPS! Don't go there. I'm a Realtor and there should absolutely be a major regulating of home inspectors, usually the inspection is warranted to the value of the inspection, so not much of a safety net there.

With over 30 years in boat manufacturing and service I've see plenty of boat buyers 'hiring' surveyors but it seems in some areas you can just print your card, promote your 'qualifications' and presto you are a surveyor (home inspector). Not sure how it is in US but in Canada this exists. A good friend used a local surveyor who has extensive boat lofting, molding and structural experience. Unfortunately the balance of the survey was a grocery list of check marks verifying boat has engine, instruments, pumps, ports, ground tackle etc. but nothing about condition, do they work, etc. Basically a walk-thru describing the boat which even most novices can see. Boat sold on the survey and the buyer has been spend, spend, spending large ever since.

Try to find an old school surveyor with a background in surveying ships, passenger carrying vessels, etc. While they are a diminishing group hopefully you can find someone with the background that has aged to the point that he just wants to do small vessels. Might cost you a bit more up front but save in the long run. Survey in water and ashore, run engine (bring reputable marine mechanic), have sails loft evaluated, use the instruments, ASK SELLER FOR A DISCLOSURE of everything known that does not work. I would go this route with any boat large enough to have an auxillary engine. If your buying a 22' it is a simple boat, but the larger the boat gets the more stuff there is to age, fail and generally go wrong.

Sorry for the rant but this is a sore spot for me.
Old 10-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Try to find an old school surveyor with a background in surveying ships, passenger carrying vessels, etc. While they are a diminishing group hopefully you can find someone with the background that has aged to the point that he just wants to do small vessels.
Sorry but I completely disagree with this statement. Small ships are built to entirely different standards than pleasure craft and most of their systems are not related at all. A Seafarer with 30years experience on a bunker fueled, 240V, 48V and 32V powered ship with 5 different electrical systems likely does not even know that ABYC standards for small craft exists. For example, propane systems are prohibited on Canadian passenger carrying vessels but not on pleasure craft so its unlikely that such a surveyor would know anything about the requird propane standards.

For a qualified yacht surveyor go to Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors and check the roster by location

Last edited by Faster; 10-26-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 10-26-2011

You're right boatpoker - there is a huge difference. Point I was trying to make was get someone that is REALLY QUALIFIED AND EXPERIENCED for the vessel you are looking at instead of falling for the pretty brochure and a big smile. The buyer deserves the best.
Old 10-26-2011

Quote:
For a qualified yacht surveyor go to Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors and check the roster by location
Unfortunately the 'surveyor' that surveyed for my friend was not accredited by SAMS, so was he really a surveyor?

Last edited by Faster; 10-26-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 10-26-2011

Thats a question that requires more than a few sentences to answer.
You might want to take alook at my article on Choosing a Surveyor
Old 10-26-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Shawn

Here is a local surveyor of pleasure craft with a good (and tough ) reputation. Just what you want as a buyer.

Do a pre survey yourself to weed out the obvious.

Hire a local mechanic for an hour to check the engine out - not the mechanic that worked on it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Can Someone ID this boat?-1.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post

Hire a local mechanic for an hour to check the engine out - not the mechanic that worked on it though.
The surveyor will probably only ensure that the engine is the one listed; he will not check it for problems. If you have any concerns about the rigging, get a rigger to check it out.

The offer to purpose should include clauses indicating that a satisfactory survey and inspections are pre-conditions of the sale.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-30-2011

Pointy_End is on a distinguished road
OK here we go, Round Two!

So I went to look at this boat and got the grand tour.

Here are some new pictures I took: Picture Gallery

The guys that own it (two brothers) just bought a 55ft boat so they don't need this one anymore. Brian: you can probably see it, I'm told it's in front of the Empress.

They have apparently sailed this one as far north as Prince Rupert, which is much further than I'd plan to go, or have time to go!

So here is what I found out:

The bad:

- The head although it is new, pumps directly overboard
- Bottom has not been painted since 2008
- Likely needs a new prop and zincs
- That stove is not a marine stove
- No recent survey available, they think it was done last in 2007 or 2008
- Surprisingly, I do not quite have standing headroom...so close! Strange that a Cat 27 would have more headroom

The good:

- I "think" the main sail is in good condition. It looks good to me...
- The jib is damaged but it doesn't look that bad (see pictures), the owners also said they have a new one that they will provide with the boat
- The anchor is fairly new and is much larger than required for a boat that size. There are also 2 smaller spare anchors
- The engine started on the first try and seemed to run very well; it's a Yanmar 9.9HP from '91. There was a little bit of smoke when it first started, then nothing. They left it running for about 15mins. It actually seems a bit noisy to me until they put the engine compartment cover back on, but I guess that's common with small diesels?
- The diesel injector has recently been replaced and the fuel tank cleaned
- One of the owners said that although the bottom hasn't been painted recently, he regularly cleaned the bottom by hand. He mentioned this when he noted that his wet-suit wasn't included with the sale, but he'd leave the cleaning supplies.

As before I'd really appreciate any feedback. I'm particularly curious about the integrity of the bow seams as viewed from the V-berth photo.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Shawn

A holding tank can be added without much expense. They are not compulsory on boats built before 2007 until May 2012.

Zincs probably, but why do you think it needs a new prop?

Headroom - how tall are you?

I don't think Yanmar made a "9.9 hp" engine - that is an outboard hp rating. But it does look good. What model is it? 1GM 10?

It is normal to see daylight through fiberglass where there is not any liner or internal paint - the resin which is clear or amber in colour allows this.

I will try and look tomorrow.

Nice winches by the way - Anderson's are the best in my opinion.