Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Small diesels are noisy.. often you can make improvements to the sound deadening if it's obnoxious.

Sails look OK, Quantum is good, but you'll have to put a breeze in them to see how they set. In any event certainly serviceable after the headsail has been set right.. plus there's another.

Nice new winches. A plus.... And the furler looks pretty good too. Plenty of recent gear here.

Surprised to hear the headroom is less than a C27..

Seeing light through un-cored F/G is not unusual, esp on a sunny day. As long as it's not through any structural gaps I wouldn't worry too much on that score.

The stove may be fine despite not being gimballed, but be sure it's properly protected by thermocouples, and over time it may tend to rust depending on what it's made out or.

For local boats of that vintage I'd expect a direct discharge head. It's only recently that holding tanks have been specified/mandated in BC. Adding a tank is not difficult though it will cost most of a boat buck...

The bilge appears a bit oily, but it's reasonably deep... I didn't see keel bolts which would point to an encapsulated keel.. is the ballast lead?

Dealing with '2-boat owners' is always in your favour.

There seems to be a lot of boat here and I think it would be worth proceeding with a survey to be certain. Good luck!

EDIT... cross-posted with Brian.. but we seem to agree.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2011

Pointy_End is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Shawn
Zincs probably, but why do you think it needs a new prop?
This was coming straight from the owner. He said it used to cruise at about 6kts on the engine, but now only does 4kts. I asked if maybe this was due to extra drag from the hull (since it hadn't been hauled out in a few years) but he seemed pretty certain it was the prop.

Quote:
Headroom - how tall are you?
I'm 6' on the nose.

Quote:
I don't think Yanmar made a "9.9 hp" engine - that is an outboard hp rating. But it does look good. What model is it? 1GM 10?
I didn't think so either, but that's what they told me. I assume it's either an 8hp or 10hp; or maybe even a 12hp. They said it was a 2 cylinder but I think they all are, no? I couldn't find a model number that looked familar, but Yanmar research is on my "To Do" list.

EDIT: based on my pictures and the technical drawings on the Yanmar website I'd have to say it's a 1GM 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Nice new winches. A plus.... And the furler looks pretty good too. Plenty of recent gear here.

Surprised to hear the headroom is less than a C27..
Yes I got the impression that they like to use quality gear. Several times he pointed to the boat next to this one (also a Sunstar) and pointed out the differences in gear used.

As for headroom I was surprised as well. I distinctly remember on the Cat 27 that I had to take my sunglasses off the top of my head otherwise they'd hit the deck head. On the Sunstar I actually had to crouch down a little or take a very wide stance. I'm guessing it's because there was more finishing items on the Sunstar (such as a very solid wood deck and a padded deck head) that it takes up that extra inch or so.

Quote:
Adding a tank is not difficult though it will cost most of a boat buck...
I'm not sure what you mean by this expression...

Quote:
I didn't see keel bolts which would point to an encapsulated keel.. is the ballast lead?
Just so I'm clear, an encapsulated keel is a good thing right? I'm not sure what the ballast is made of.

Being an engineer I like to know all the technical details, but I've had trouble getting some of them from these guys. They were very nice, and I didn't get the feeling I was being deceived, I just got the feeling they either didn't know or couldn't verbalize them.

Last edited by Pointy_End; 10-30-2011 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-30-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
A "boat buck" is a thousand dollars. (at least, that's what it means in these parts. remember, "BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand") Although there are ways to install a holding tank that will be less expensive, to do it correct, will cost very near that number.
However, the front sail looks to be very repairable from those pictures. And to echo all the other sentiments, the "see through seam" more than likely is very normal. A good cleaning of the prop, driveshaft and bottom may bring that speed back up, then again, I'd never put too much faith in someone else's opinion of "speed" either. Those things tend to get exaggerated both ways.

All in all, from the pics anyway, it looks like a very clean boat. You could sure do a lot worse I'd imagine, although a proper survey will answer any remaining questions.
Old 10-30-2011

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Over 40' it's spelled ...... BOATT
Old 10-30-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointy_End View Post

Just so I'm clear, an encapsulated keel is a good thing right? I'm not sure what the ballast is made of.

Being an engineer I like to know all the technical details, but I've had trouble getting some of them from these guys. They were very nice, and I didn't get the feeling I was being deceived, I just got the feeling they either didn't know or couldn't verbalize them.
Encapsulated keel means, usually, that the keel itself is molded with the hull and then the ballast is placed inside the keel pocket as the boat is completed. This is as opposed to the hull being molded without the appendage and the keel subsequently 'bolted on' to the hull. (more fin keel boats are built in the latter fashion)

Neither is intrinsically 'good' or 'bad'... they just have different issues.

Bolt on keels frequently suffer from 'smiles'.. fine cracks at the keel/hull joint that are difficult to avoid due to flexing as the boat moves through the sea. Some boats are known to be more prone to this. In some cases it's mostly cosmetic but excessive flex can lead to more problems over time. Also the integrity of the keel bolts themselves can become suspect over time, esp where perpetually wet bilges are present.

Molded/encapsulated keels avoid this problem.. but if the ballast is iron (often used because the rust issue of a bolt on iron keel is initially avoided - and it's much cheaper) and it somehow gets wet in that cavity (from a grounding that damaged the outer skin or from a 'leaky bilge' that allows water into the ballast cavity) now there's a problem. Rusting iron expands and this internal pressure can do damage to the hull, also getting rid of that moisture completely is really difficult because of the otherwise 'sealed' nature of the construction.

Encapsulated keels usually end up being lower performance/thicker cord sections than a typical cast bolt-on due to the constraints of engineering the glass work to adequate strength.

Occasionally you'll hear of a bolt-on keel that's been heavily glassed over (esp if it was iron) being called 'encapsulated'... and in a way it is but that's not the same as described above.. now you may have both issues to contend with.

Issues like this are why a haulout and survey are so important.
RobGallagher likes this.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."

Last edited by Faster; 10-30-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-31-2011

Pointy_End is on a distinguished road
Haha OK, a BOAT dollar makes sense now, thanks! BOATT scares me a little...

So how would this Sunstar compare to something like a Coronado 27? They are the same price and seem to have similar features, ie size.

Should I buy this Sunstar, would I have trouble selling it in a few years? Would a Catalina 27 be easier to sell? Because that is a concern; I know that I will be moving inland in a few years.

Boy I'm going to owe you people some beer after all these questions
Old 10-31-2011
Just another Moderator

The Coronado will be a much older boat/design and would not be as comfy a cruiser... A Catalina might be easier to sell but there'd also be more competition.

The Sun boats are well known locally and a clean one should sell.. by the sounds of the price you're talking about there's not much room for loss anyhow - you should do OK if the boat checks out.

Going to an inland lake area??? take it with you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointy_End View Post
Haha OK, a BOAT dollar makes sense now, thanks! BOATT scares me a little...

So how would this Sunstar compare to something like a Coronado 27? They are the same price and seem to have similar features, ie size.

Should I buy this Sunstar, would I have trouble selling it in a few years? Would a Catalina 27 be easier to sell? Because that is a concern; I know that I will be moving inland in a few years.

Boy I'm going to owe you people some beer after all these questions

Old 10-31-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
As faster said the Coronado is older - pretty inexpensive though. I would offer less - it has been listed since June. Looks like it is clean and ready to sail even including dinghy and outboard.

If you buy any of the boats in this price range - as long as they are not project boats - you should have not much trouble selling.

I walked the docks in front of the Empress yesterday and the Sunstar wasn't there.