Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011

zboss is on a distinguished road
Annapolis Gemini Quality vs. Hunter Gemini Quality

Not sure if this has been a topic, I searched but could not find anything...

I am curious if anyone has completed a review of the old Performance Cruising Gemini build standards and quality compared to the new Florida location Hunter-built Gemini quality. Has anything changed at all?

I know they are offering an enhanced interior and some additional options but I am more curious about the "bones" of the vessel. Have they changed the building methods, added additional tabbing, changed the deck coring in any way, etc...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I can tell you that they must be/are using the same mold for their decks because they have the same imperfections in exactly the same place
kd3pc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-25-2011

T37Chef -can you please elaborate?
Old 10-26-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Hadn't heard about this change. Did Performance Cruising sell the Gemini line to Hunter, or is Hunter just producing them on contract for PC?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2011

ewoden is on a distinguished road
I was on one at Annapolis Boat Show. Imperfection on cabin top starbooard side just forward of master birth pwindows. Also HUGE amount of caulk goop where cabin roof met aft bulkhead on starboard side. Seeing that tone of caulk filling that space put me off.
Old 10-26-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
T37Chef -can you please elaborate?
Z,

if you look at certain places in the molded parts of the boat, you will see the same pattern/marks across many years of production... as simple as the antiskid pattern flaws to, well some other well documented areas.

you will also find that the first 105Mc that was "veneered" was very poorly done, and covered some very important parts of the boat that WILL be needed to have access for maintenance. For sure the subsequent boats should be better done, but the angles and compound joints of the mold make it very difficult to veneer and finish this boat in a fashion that is appealing to an upscale or new boat buyer. I liked the "unskinned" version much more, as it was more suited to actually using the boat as opposed to looking at it.

Some of the access locations are still being glued over such that needed access to bilges and such are nigh impossible, unless you are going to cut up that sole or wall...

Hunter has said, that they build to the specs of the owners (PCI, Cat Company, and other principles)

I was set to buy a new Gemini in 2008, until I spoke with the then owners and was told that the hulls only have a one year warranty, and I found that warranty too ambiguous to risk the purchase of a new boat, and hope for a good outcome, YMMV. Like many builders the warranty of systems and components goes back to that company and some of the gear used was not available here in the states, etc.

The boat is, quite honestly built to a price point, and as long as you realize that, it is one awesome boat. They have held their value well, and owners either hate them or absolutely love them...there is no middle ground, and you get a LOT of boat for the money, new or used.

YMMV, and for sure check them out, I am back looking at them again after "downsizing" they are well laid out for a couple, and are quite comfortable - like angled seats and seat backs, and "bar rail" to rest your feet on while sitting...small and agile enough for almost any marina or lift, etc

Best of luck
Old 10-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Hadn't heard about this change. Did Performance Cruising sell the Gemini line to Hunter, or is Hunter just producing them on contract for PC?
was sold in 2009....Press Release - Performance Cruising New Management Team

not to hunter, but the principles have an arrangement with Hunter for "customization" and assembly, as it were...
Old 10-26-2011

Thanks for the feedback so far...

I'm really looking at buying a new Gemini and not really concerned that the boat is "built to a price point" since that is really what makes this a compelling buy for me. We simply cannot afford a new PDQ or similar and buying a much later model PDQ (or similar) would make that boat a mid-90's which introduces problems of it's own.

I am interested in any design changes that Hunter may be implementing. Your information on the non-US sourced parts combined with comments by Perf. Cruising that one of the reasons they partnered with Hunter was to "assist in volume buying" leads me to conclude that the Gem will soon be equipped with the same components as the Hunter - as soon as the existing stock of the old components is used up. IIRC New Hunters use the same components as much more expensive boats.

I think it was a wise choice for Performance Cruising to partner with Hunter from a business standpoint and I am hoping a year from now, Hunter will be able to bring some of their expertise to bear and improve on some of the process engineering.
Old 10-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
leads me to conclude that the Gem will soon be equipped with the same components as the Hunter - as soon as the existing stock of the old components is used up. IIRC New Hunters use the same components as much more expensive boats.
the replacement of the drive leg will be problematic to anyone, let alone Hunter, if in fact they go that far. There is nothing in the Hunter line that will replace the engine/drive they currently use, and still get the draft and keep the price point.

Perhaps going back to twin outboards, ala the earlier models? Dual engines and trans and shafts will be an instant 20-25% price increase, assuming the glass can be reworked to hold them and the added weight would not be an issue....

Were I you, I would have a LONG talk with The Cat Company, as my understanding is they are the drivers of any new molds/technical upgrades and things that you are looking for....80% theirs at least.

i.e. Hunter is just building the boats, nothing more...

Best of luck
Old 10-26-2011
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
What happened to the "team of quality craftsmen" they had in back creek?