Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011

Southcoasting is on a distinguished road
O'Day 25 for cruising Buzzards Bay & Islands

So rookie here that just moved to Southcoast area of Mass...Been taking safety classes at Coast Guard Auxillary and looking to start sailing next year...

Been considering boats in sizes 25 to 28 mainly for learning and then possibly going to Nantucket, Martha's and Cuttyhunk.

Most recently, the O'Day 25 has really intrigued me and looking to see what you guys think about an O'Day 25 would be like for sailing to the islands here...

I understand it's not really a seaworthy size but would it be manageable to consider taking it at least that far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
You can definitely take the Oday 25 to the islands; you will have to pick your weather windows, and don't expect a comfortable ride if the wind kicks up, but the Oday 25 is capable of safely handling that kind of trip (assuming your skills are up to it too).

However, if cruising is really what you want to do, you should consider the next "class" up of boat: 27' and larger. Once you get into that size boat, you will have standing headroom, the option of an inboard engine (having the prop below the hull makes an enormous difference in effectiveness and safety in any kind of sea state), a real marine head, a galley you can really cook in, and a much more stable ride. Don't get me wrong, the Oday 25 is a terrific boat. If you like camping on the water, then I don't think you will do much better. But if you want a different, "big" boat experience, then look at the Catalina 27 and its ilk.
Old 10-27-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
I would take a long look at the O'Day 272. I have a friend who has one and we did a buddy boat cruise up to Salem this year in some tough weather. The winds were predicted to be 10-15 kts. When we got out of the bay, it was more like 20-25 kts with gusts to 35 kts. Neither of us had reefed our mainsails' due to the weather predictions. He stayed right with us all the way to Salem Harbor and the boat did great.

The 272 is really roomy for a 27 footer inside. It has a decent galley/salon, full head, etc. Factory, all lines are lead to the cockpit, so it is easy to sail short handed. And you can find them around for reasonable prices.

Good luck
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 10-27-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
We own a Lancer 25 and cruise Casco Bay almost every weekend. From glassy seas to 25 knots (30 know gusts) we've been out and have had no problems. We've sailed to Portsmouth and as far east as Pemaguid. Most of the long trips are open water. The Catalina, I believe, is a more capable boat than the Lancer so you should be fine. But, sail on the edge of your abilities, not over the edge.

When buying a boat, consider the use and the upkeep. A 30 footer would be awesome to have but for some the slip fees, hauling, cleaning, painting and the like would be oppressive. That's where I am. I haul my own and do all my own maintenance. If I couldn't, I wouldn't be sailing. Also, I can sail DUW at 72 knots to reach waters that would take another all day to reach. But, my dream boat is a Catalina 30, in the 1987 range.

So, good luck and have fun!

Don Biddeford, ME
Old 10-27-2011

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
I sailed an O'Day 25 in Casco Bay as well. I'll never forget my first sail in her. The forecast was for 4 to 8 knot winds, 2 foot seas. By 1pm, it was 20 Knot winds and 6 to 8 foot seas. This was way beyond my sailing skill level, by my estimation. The O'Day hardly noticed. It handled it all without a problem. However, I will tell you it sails into the wind badly. Even at 60" off the wind she crabs quite a bit. Rugged, yes, but not the best sailing machine, for that you need a real keel. If you can find one with a serviceable trailer you will be way ahead of the game. It will save you a fortune to store it and launch it yourself. After you fix all the wet core, she will treat you well.
Old 11-05-2011

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
OK, South coasting found a different boat, anyone interested in a rebuilt O'Day 25 with a solid deck ?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.