Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011

jbalzac is on a distinguished road
J24 or H23?

Hi, I have been racing sailboats for 2 years. I have race J92s, J24, IC24 Melges 24, J39 etc. I am not just weight in the deck, since I discover Sailing I have thought myself as much as I can by reading and sailing in every opportunity that I have (invitations to any sailboat are welcome) ( I even started windsurfing 1 year a go for those weekends that there was no sailing.)I want sailing to be my life's hobby and lifestyle. I live in the beautiful island of Puerto Rico (Caribbean)

I have only meet the racing world of sailing, the longer time I have been on a sailboat is for 11 hours (racing), never have sleep on one.

I am planing to buy my first boat.

What do i want:

-Has to have trailer ( Im planing to have it dry sail at a marina - they take care of putting it in the water for me anytime I want to sail it.)

-Has to have sleeping possibilities.( I have been a Boy Scout all my life so I can practically sleep anywhere.) Not right now but will like to make it from Puerto Rico to St. Thomas one day to spend 3-4 days. (it's 62 miles away but there are few island for stop's in the way.)

- Must be 22-26 feet

-Budget is 10K ( 5K cash anything else small loan)

So, I already seen a J24 1979. I m in love with that boat great performance and is in excellent conditions. the entire deck has been reinforced and modify with starboard material,nice set of racing and cruising sails,it even has all his cruising accessories (that is not common in a J24)

Will post pictures later on.

I haven't seen but a friend recommend me a Hunter 23 1988 the boat is not in right know sailing conditions since the bottom is half way done (I think i can finish the work since i have worked in manufacturing). My friend told me the rest is in fair conditions. I know hunters are not famous for performance.

The thing is:

I Will be racing for many years, but i don't think I can afford it in my own boat (at least for a while)

I do like Performance over comfort( but never really had the need for comfort before)

So, i know the J24 is in a lot more better conditions than the H23 right now but the J24 they give it to me for 10K , the H23 is announced in 3.8K
(confident that can get it at least in 3K)

I ask you experience sailors:

What would you do in my position?
Which one would you buy?
Feedback anyone on the two boats?
Would the J24 really out perform the H23 that much? (never been on a slow boat)

Remember I live in a small island so please don't start trying to recommend me boats that i cannot find over here!..

Thanks.!!.

PD.(sorry for the maybe a little bad English, main language is Spanish)!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011

Old 10-28-2011

Old 10-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
hmmmmm

Reality, the H23 might do well for what you want vs the J24. I would need to look up the ratings to see how mush slower an H23 would be.......have to admit, other than a melges 24, laser SB style, which will be upwards of a minute a mile FASTER than a J24, the H23 will probably be a minute slower than a J24, they are rated fairly fast for what they are.

Reality is, if you want to cruise, the H would be better. BUT, with that in mind......something like a san juan 24 or other 1/4 ton IOR style boat in the mid 20' range would probably be a BETTER option "IF" you can find one on PR! Realizing your choice of boats is probably way smaller than I would have here in Puget sound Washington. As a boat like the SJ24 would be a bit slower than a J24, but still have amenities like the H23, but somewhere in the middle when it comes to speed. One that one could also race relatively well. While their were some issues with the IOR style boats, they were like many of the newer IRC boats, they had in interior to a degree, sailed well overall.........

Marty
Old 10-28-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
The thing that would be the major decison factor for me is that the J24 is a very popular race boat in the Caribbean and you will get lots of 1 class races for it.

Google J24 caribbean to see what I mean.
Old 10-28-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
The J24 will run rings around the Hunter. You can cruise on the J. Know a younger couple that cruised fairly extensively on one and another that did it on a J29. Main problem is low headroom. Neither is the best choice for the trip to St.Thomas, but certainly possible in good weather.
Old 10-28-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
If you go with the J24 make sure performance is on the absolute top of your list, with comfort taking a second place. I own a one design race boat that I use for day sailing and would like to camp out on it. I have pretty much ruled out the camping due to the lack of comfort. The day sailing is nice in a performance orientated boat until you spend 4 + hours on it. Then it starts to get very uncomfortable. I did a 12 hour sail on it one day and it was a bid more than I could take before it was all said and done.
Old 10-28-2011

peoples1234 is on a distinguished road
I have a H23 and have never been on a J24, so I have no idea what you would prefer.

Nevertheless, I think the H23 is a great boat. Reasonably fast for it's size. I was sailing out on the Chesapeake a few weekends ago and with two reefs in the main and a jib I was hitting 8 knots on the knot meter on a beam reach. It was a blast.

I regularly exceed the 5.9 hull speed and it is a great boat in light air. You have to reef early to keep the boat flat, it goes faster flatter.
Old 10-28-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
You want a J24 past 1980 and hull number 2000 something as before that they had a crappy keel sump and horrible leaky deck hatches

10K is a fortune for a J24 unless its perfect and has almost brand new sails

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Get a J/22 - you will be happier and have fewer boat bites than with a J/24. People say the J/24 is the only boat in which the skipper is uncomfortable.

of course don't forget about the Santana 20