Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011

atmcpm is on a distinguished road
Need Advice

I'm looking for suggestions on a boat to buy. I have a house at an inland lake with a boat slip. The winds vary but are usually on the lighter side. I'd like:

A daysailer that can reasonably carry six adults (no need for overnights or cruising)

Reasonable light air performance

A shallow draft (retractable or swing keel allowed) for exploring lake coves and beaching

A combined trailering weight of less than 3500 lbs. (The boat will be kept at the slip but will need to pull it for maintenance or maybe trips to the coast on rare occasion)

An acquisition cost of less than $30K

Ideally as small as practical to meet the criteria above

Does such a boat exist?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Andy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
That's a tough mix... though you have a healthy budget for a used one.

Wanting space for 6 persons and no need for cruising amenities means you want a boat that's essentially all cockpit, with shoal/centerboard/lift keel and I'd think at least 22-24 feet long. We used to own a Martin 242 that you could get six on in a pinch, but it was crowded... its draft at 4.5 feet would likely eliminate that. A Colgate 26 might similarly otherwise fit the bill, but would be too deep and difficult to trailer.

Most mainstream 25-26 foot 'daysailers' are typically day cruisers with some attempt at enough amenities for camper cruising (Catalina 25, Capri 25, Hunter 26,etc) and so the cockpits are rather limited for that sized crew, and they come with facilities below that you don't want.

The Melges 24 may fit the bill but it's a pretty powered up boat for a first boat or for family daysailing. If you are relatively experienced though, it would be very rewarding. They have lift keels and so may satisfy the draft requirement as long as you have some deeper water for sailing in (they are not intended to be sailed with the keel lifted)

Tough bill to fill....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-30-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Tripp 26?
Old 10-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Check out the Hunter 26 or 260. They are water ballasted, easy to rig (I raised the mast on my 26 by myself), have a swing keel, and with stern rail seats, can easily carry 6.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2011

Thanks for the suggestions so far...

I think the Tripp 26 is far too much boat for the lake.

The H260 has a displacement well above my limit.

The Melges 24 intrigues me. I think it would be blast to sail and would probably do well in light air. My wife will require an outboard and I don't know if you can put a motor mount on a M24. It might be sacrilege!

As far as experience goes, I've had a fair amount of coastal sailing experience and have owned in order: Hunter 212 (not a great boat at the time but would probably work well in my current circumstance), a Cape Dory 25 and a Catalina 30.

Most everyone on the lake has a powerboat and I've tried to convince myself to go this route, I just don't think I can bear it. I hate the thought of dealing with an expensive and finicky engine and I think I'd get bored motoring around the same area.

I was thinking along the lines of a Marshall Sanderling Daysailer...

Andy

Last edited by atmcpm; 10-30-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Forgot my name!
Old 10-30-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
In retrospect a 24-25 foot multihull might fit the bill best... good performance, large platform, shoal draft.. An F-24 perhaps? The Farrier boats fold up for transport making them trailerable and they fit into your rather generous budget for this plan.

Much less money would be the older alberg/pearson daysailers from the 60s and 70s.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Were you looking at the displacement with or without the water ballast? I towed my H26 with a baby blazer.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Were you looking at the displacement with or without the water ballast? I towed my H26 with a baby blazer.
Web site shows the empty 260 at 3000 lbs. When you add an outboard, gear and a trailer I suspect it will be well above my 3500 limit.

Andy
Old 10-30-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Might be hard to find one - but what about a Naiad catboat? It was designed by Mark Ellis for the same person who commissioned the original Nonsuch. Best way to describe it would be as an 18' open Nonsuch. It is quite beamy and has quite a bit of room for its length. Sailed the original one once and it was great fun. They did not make many so might be hard to find. Perhaps the builder is still around and has the molds and you could get one built.If you are interested PM me and I can give a lead to someone who might know - but perhaps still a bit of long shot to find one.
Old 10-30-2011

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Try a com-pac
Com-Pac Sun Cat Daysailer from Com-Pac Yachts