I can seldom figure out why things are the way they are - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

Spend some time cleaning it up and you'll be well paid for your efforts. No-one would think of selling an unwashed car or an untidy house but they leave boats in a shambles.

You need to watch more HGTV!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
old used cars with steam cleaned engines and blackened tires always look good on a car lot until you pull them into your driveway,i'd rather see the flaws before i buy
I'm not talking about putting lipstick on a pig but I think most people selling a car wash it, vacuum the interior etc. Seems like only some boats get that treatment though. You don't need to go to the extent of "staging" it like they do with homes or at boat shows but cleaning it up so it presents well is only common sense, at least to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-01-2011
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
You need to watch more HGTV!!
Or SOME - can I assume the real estate shows have houses selling in a shambles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-01-2011
Senior Moment Member

Surprisingly, I have gathered the impression that those sort of pictures are generally taken by the BROKERS. To me that's even worse. If they don't want to clean up the boat, they could at least toss everything in a trash bag and put it on the dock while they take the pictures.

It's their INCOME that is at stake, you'd think they'd spend 10 minutes to put their product in a better light, even if it meant a few bucks to a dock rat to do it for them.

Maybe that's part of the reason for the high turnover in the brokerage business.

Old 11-01-2011
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Or SOME - can I assume the real estate shows have houses selling in a shambles?
Actually, it shows the "before" shots of why my house has not sold after six months!!
Old 11-01-2011

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I suspect some of the boats that weren't cleaned out were owned by old guys who died and didn't have anyone available to clean it out for them. Few are going to do it for free; certainly not a marina operator or a broker. Even friends of the deceased might be afraid the heirs might accuse them of stripping the boat of everything of value. In many cases, the heirs don't live in the area, and can't do it themselves, and they might not even be aware the boat needs to be cleaned out. But, if the guy died at a time when the boat was temporarily in a state of disarray, look past the mess. The boat might be a gem that has been maintained and upgraded. Don't make assumptions.
Old 11-01-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
I suspect some of the boats that weren't cleaned out were owned by old guys who died and didn't have anyone available to clean it out for them. Few are going to do it for free; certainly not a marina operator or a broker. Even friends of the deceased might be afraid the heirs might accuse them of stripping the boat of everything of value. In many cases, the heirs don't live in the area, and can't do it themselves, and they might not even be aware the boat needs to be cleaned out. But, if the guy died at a time when the boat was temporarily in a state of disarray, look past the mess. The boat might be a gem that has been maintained and upgraded. Don't make assumptions.

.... good point ....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-01-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I get the 'rather not hide the pimples' point of view, but there's no need to see last month's dishes in the sink. Though I suppose if nothing else it's yet another indicator of care and pride of ownership.....(or lack thereof)...
Thoroughly agree. Neat and tidy is good for both buyer and seller. I guess I was more commenting on gussied up broker's pics and descriptions. The number of "ready to go cruising" boats we looked at that I wouldn't have taken on a short coastal hop was mind boggling.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-01-2011
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
That accounts for some of it - that`s exactly the situation my boat was in when I bought it - for about $0.20 on the Dollar. They are exactly the kind of boat I look for because they don't get much traffic and can be bought cheaper. I doubt that estate sales cover more than a fraction of it though.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-01-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
To get back to the OP... Consider that the original owner might have fixed the leaking shrouds, but wanted to know if they started to leak again. Water in the cabinet provides him actionable evidence. Water in the bilge...who knows where it's from?
Now that is a reasonable theory, thanks.