Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
I can seldom figure out why things are the way they are

I looked at this boat last Sat.

1985 Young Sun 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It has a standard layout with a U shaped settee and table on the port side.
Above the seat backs are some small doors.
I opened the doors and there is a plywood floor at the bottom of the cabinet and the bolts for a deck mounted connector for a shroud.
It was obvious that it leaked at one time there was damage but I didn't see any moisture.

The puzzling thing was that the plywood bottom of the cabinet was carefully silicone sealed all around.

All I can figure is that it was leaking and the owner preferred to mop it up in the cabinet than to let it run down the inside of the hull to the bilge.

I'm sure it made sense at the time, maybe the water got stuck someplace before it got to the bilge and smelled, but I'm constantly amazed at odd things I see on boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
That sure is a pretty boat. Not 100% in on the color scheme, but looks to be a boat with real character.
Old 10-31-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
What always amazes me about a lot of YW and other listings is that the seller is happy to publish pics showing clutter, mess, sailbags, etc etc rather than take the effort to show the boat's features to good effect...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-31-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Fast,

I think I'd rather see the clutter in the advert than pristine pics that completely misrepresent the actual product. Having looked at so many boats the last few years the ones that actually bore some ressemblance to the shining light in the adverts were few and far between.

oh yes and to quote the Maestro hisself ....

"The Young Sun 35 IS NOT a Perry design and never was. They tried to promote it as one of my boats but I have no idea where that boat came from. Over the years I have come to adopt it as a step child but it is not my design."

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-31-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Over the years I have come to adopt it as a step child but it is not my design."
Now that is funny.
Old 11-01-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
What always amazes me about a lot of YW and other listings is that the seller is happy to publish pics showing clutter, mess, sailbags, etc etc rather than take the effort to show the boat's features to good effect...
Ain't it the truth. I've only sold through a broker once and before I listed it I spent a week cleaning and painting etc. I thought it was only a little better than acceptable but the broker commented on how well it presented and he sold it in a couple of weeks at the end of the summer for 50% more than I thought it would LIST for.

Spend some time cleaning it up and you'll be well paid for your efforts. No-one would think of selling an unwashed car or an untidy house but they leave boats in a shambles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-01-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
old used cars with steam cleaned engines and blackened tires always look good on a car lot until you pull them into your driveway,i'd rather see the flaws before i buy
Old 11-01-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I get the 'rather not hide the pimples' point of view, but there's no need to see last month's dishes in the sink. Though I suppose if nothing else it's yet another indicator of care and pride of ownership.....(or lack thereof)...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-01-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post

The puzzling thing was that the plywood bottom of the cabinet was carefully silicone sealed all around.

All I can figure is that it was leaking and the owner preferred to mop it up in the cabinet than to let it run down the inside of the hull to the bilge.

I'm sure it made sense at the time, maybe the water got stuck someplace before it got to the bilge and smelled, but I'm constantly amazed at odd things I see on boats.
To get back to the OP... Consider that the original owner might have fixed the leaking shrouds, but wanted to know if they started to leak again. Water in the cabinet provides him actionable evidence. Water in the bilge...who knows where it's from?
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 11-01-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I get the 'rather not hide the pimples' point of view, but there's no need to see last month's dishes in the sink.
Exactly. It is one thing to try to hide flaws. It is quite another to try to sell a boat with pictures of it dirty and cluttered. In fact, in terms of actually seeing any meaningful flaws, you are more likely to be able to if the interior is not junked-up with dirty dishes and personal effects.

It is simply idiotic to try to sell a boat with pictures like this...

By the way, that is NOT a picture of the boat in question in this thread. It is simply a picture from Yachtworld that I consider the perfect example of how NOT to sell a boat.

Last edited by denverd0n; 11-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.