Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011
C&C 32

smp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smp
Help identify this Cal

Hi, being from Canada we don't have that many Cals up here so I haven't really done a lot of research on them. This ad came up today and I did a bit of reading and searching and I don't think this is a Cal 30. To my untrained eye it looks more like a Cal 2-29 or maybe a Cal 2-30 but the Cal 2-30 seems to have more of a slope to the transom.

On a side note, everything I've read about these boats has been really good and I am now very interested in Cals in general. My main interests thus far have been the C&C 27 and C&C 30 with the CS 27 in the running as well. My intention is to cruise with my girlfriend around Lake Ontario as well as some club races and maybe a regatta or two.... maybe even the Lake Ontario 300. Cals in the states seem a good value and I don't mind making a trip to get one when we're ready to buy.

Any idea about the above linked boat?
Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Definitely something wrong with the listing. The cal 3-30 had ceased production before 1980 and the Cal 9.2 (which this definitely is not) hadn't started production. I think your guess as a 2-29 or 2-30 is probably correct. My best guess is it's a 2-29.

Last edited by JimsCAL; 11-03-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

based on the side shot

and interior it is a a 29 unless they changed nothing on the 30

I cant point out the for sure issue spots as there all a bit train wreck at this price range

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 11-03-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Looks like a Cal 29 to me too..... The 3-30 is quite a different boat, esp on deck. I think there was an extended version made briefly that had a slightly reverse transom, but this one's not that.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 11-03-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
It's a 2-29. I've been noticing more and more frequently that people are playing fast & loose or perhaps are just ignorant of "Name" boat lengths. The "model" length that defines the boat is frequently subordinated to some sort of measurement taken by the owner. Currently on Vancouver C.L. we have a "Cal 23" for sale. It is actually a Crown 23 that was a knockoff of the raised deck Cal 25.

I saw an ad for a Columbia 36 being advertised as a Columbia 38 a while back. Two completely different boats from different designers. After the boat had been advertised for a long time that way, I contacted the owner to advise him of his error, thinking more knowledgeable people might regard it as dishonesty and bypass it. He got very snotty and condescending about it - he was an "engineer" and knew how to read a tape measure and so forth. I imagine he stretched a tape between the tips of the bow and stern pulpits and - presto, a Columbia 38.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-03-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
It sure looks like a 2-29, but according to Sailboat Data the last one was built in 1978 and the listing states 1980. Also according to Sailboat Data the original engine in a 2-29 is a Farymann diesel of 12 hp.

The Cal 29 was last built in 1974 but did have an Atomic 4 engine and has the same profile.
Old 11-04-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It sure looks like a 2-29, but according to Sailboat Data the last one was built in 1978 and the listing states 1980. Also according to Sailboat Data the original engine in a 2-29 is a Farymann diesel of 12 hp.

The Cal 29 was last built in 1974 but did have an Atomic 4 engine and has the same profile.
Calgan Marine in North Van built 2-29's later than 78 - my uncle bought one from them later than that - 79 or 80.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-04-2011

Thanks for that. Sailboat Data has been incorrect in the past as well.

2-29 it probably is then.
Old 11-09-2011
C&C 32

smp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smp
Thanks all. I spoke to the seller and he said "229" and I asked, "do you mean a 2-29" he said, "No, a 229, that was the model name".

He also told me that the boat in the picture is "not the one for sale". Geez, can people stop wasting my time with these ridiculous classified ads!?! Needless to say, I'm not interested.
Old 11-09-2011

He has to mean 2-29 as the other (229) doesn't exist.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.