SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Micro cruisers

148K views 187 replies 69 participants last post by  DimSum 
#1 ·
This thread if for people to post small sailboat any thing from 12' up to 22' small cruisers that and intresting, or just a small cruiser post pics here.

#2 ·
Here is a picture of my sailboat, although slightly larger then your dimensions. The Olympic Star is 23.5 feet in length. I believe she could be defined as a pocket cruiser. They are quite reliable and I have spent many a weekend aboard with my 2 children. The headroom leaves something to be desired but...

Attachments

#3 ·
Hopefully we don't have to be owners....

The classic 20 ft Flicka:

Nordica 16 and 20

And in the UK there's a slew of pocket cruisers like this Vivacity 20.. bilge keelers for the mud harbours there.. We once saw a young couple cruising one of these in BC.. with a newborn and a Golden Retriever on board!

Reactions: othomas3
#8 ·
Our old Catalina 22. Much as I love our 30 I do miss her...

#13 ·
when i finally get my next boat with a cabin im going to make it feel like it's a bigger boat. i plan to have a stove inside or a grill on the outside. crazy radio system, bunch of electronics and stuff like a somewhat modern sailboat. with technology

#19 ·
Who says Bayliner didn't make some cute boats;
Big difference between the Mull and Peterson Buccaneer/US boats and the earlier Buccaneer line...

I drew this 21'er for myself thinking it was the smalest boat that would satisfy my cruising needs.
Bob.. that's pretty.. any plans to build one?

#21 ·
I think it might surprise a lot of people that someone who designed the "dream big boat" for so many people chooses to sail a smaller boat.

I think our boat qualifies as a micro-cruiser - 24'10" overall, 23.5' on deck. She's wood and has a beam under 7' so not very spacious inside. The PO used to cruise with his wife on Lake Ontario, but we have just daysailed so far. I think any cruising we do with all the kids is gonna be from B&B to B&B...not that I have any problem with that...

Attachments

#23 ·
#24 ·
Now that's micro. Sheese, my previous Coronado 25 is too big for this thread. Still, I totally identify with the OP's sentiments-

Cheaper, easy to handle, can squeak into shallow, narrow places. I'm actually looking forward to trying out my Hobie 16 this summer, and running it up onto the beach. :)

#25 · (Edited)
In the 80s Webb Chiles did some major passages (nearly a circumnav) in an OPEN 18 footer.. Drascombe Lugger

From Wikipediea:

Between 1978 and 1984, Webb Chiles sailed round most of the world in his Luggers Chidiock Tichborne I and Chidiock Tichborne II.[16][17] Starting in California in Chidiock I, he crossed the Pacific, then the Indian Ocean, before heading into the Red Sea. Near Vanuatu during the Pacific crossing, the boat capsized during bad weather, then drifted for two weeks while he was unable to bail his flooded boat. After becoming damaged, Chidiock I was seized by the Saudi Arabian authorities when Chiles was arrested on suspicion of being a spy. Chiles had a new Lugger, Chiddiock II, shipped to him in Egypt. This he sailed south to cross his previous track and then through the Suez Canal and the Mediterranean Sea out into the Atlantic to La Palma in the Canary Islands. Leaving the boat briefly to visit Tenerife, he returned to find that she had capsized at her mooring in a storm. Finding that he had lost a lot of gear, Chiles decided to end his attempt at circumnavigating in an open boat.

#32 ·
That's a Buccaneer 240.. but don't go there. Those are some of the worst "sailboats" ever launched. Very much a product of the first gas crunch, too much freeboard, underballasted, as soon slide sideways as go to weather, and ugly as sin.....(JMO, of course) They made 21s, 24s, perhaps a 28 and a 32 IIRC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.