Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Catalina vs Hunter

Jack I believe this will get you where you want to go:

http://www.ce-marking.org/directive-9425ec-Recreational-Craft.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2004

doubleplay is on a distinguished road
Catalina vs Hunter

Catalina vs Beneteau or Hunter(add Bavaria if u want) has been discussed on this board many times and I don''t think I have anything to add except to say that they are all trying to attract the same buyer from the same segment of the market.You can discuss all you want about one being better than the other but in fact they are like Toyota,Honda or Mitsubishi pick whichever one you like....they are never a BMW or Mercedes...
One word for CW boat of the year awards look who is giving the most advertising in the magazine and compare it to the winners,every year they are creating new catagories to keep their advertisers happy...
Fair Winds
Old 01-04-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Catalina vs Hunter

Thanks, Jeff - that does indeed look like one source.

As I mentioned yesterday, I''m going to see if one of the EU builders who trumpet their CE Rating can provide a copy of the RCD with which they comply. The London Boat Show seems like an ideal opportunity to attempt this.

Jack
Old 02-10-2004

rjones is on a distinguished road
Catalina vs Hunter

I''ve chartered both brands in several sizes ranging from 22 to 36 feet on several occasions. My two cents:

Catalinas look better, Hunters look a little dumpy, especially the stern. The Hunter mast and arch look, well, different.

Hunters have more space and better designed interiors. They''re more comfortable. If there''s a female involved in the final check-off, Hunter is going to win most of the time.

Catalina''s sail better for me, but this is subjective. I like a boat that has just a little weather helm and can handle 15 knots without a reef in the main. Catalinas seem to eat this up and hang in there. The 36 is an especially lovely sailer.

Hunters are easier to sail, especially singlehanded. How can this be? The arch may look weird, but it''s very effective because you''ve got lot of leverage on the boom and there''s that long traveler mounted up there to give you many adjustment options. I hated the way Hunters sailed until I learned that the boat is designed so you have to reef the main once the wind starts getting up there. After all, the Hunter has a larger main. About 15 knots the Hunter''s weather helm gets severe. Here on SF Bay, 20-30 knots is typical of a summer afternoon. But put in a reef, and the Hunter straightens up and sails very well. Because the Hunter typically uses a larger main, you can run a smaller jib, hence, the jib pops over easily and cleanly during the tack.

Customer support and owner association support for both boats is phenomenal. These two builders have outlasted hundreds of sailboat companies. The others may have been faster, cheaper, cooler, and fancier (or more expensive), but none of them gave the customer support or have had a more enthusiastic owner base than these two great American companies. I bought a used 70s 14 foot Catalina boat a few years ago. I sent an email to Catalina hoping to learn something about the boat, but expecting nothing. A few days later I got an owners manual in the mail with Catalina''s compliments.

Frankly, I like both boats for the reasons above. And if I''m lucky enough to own either one of them one of these days, I''ll probably be happy. I''ll probably end up with a Hunter because my wife finds the galley and the head to her liking.

One note on the Hunter 356. It appears Hunter simply changed the name to 36 in 2004. Some interior changes were made, but the specs are exacly the same. Maybe Hunter was concerned back in 2000 that if it called the 356 a 36, it would be confused with the earlier Hunter 36. Anyway, the 356 or new 36 continues to be a popular boat. I have a friend with one of them and it is an absolutely pleasant boat to sail and live in. Here''s a little example of Hunter design ingenuity. All through-hulls on the 356 are led to a plate aft of the keel and can be accessed by a hatch at the foot of the cabin ladder. No searching around all over the nooks and cranies of the boat to find the ball cocks to shut everything down. My only objection, which Cruising World pointed out in its review, is that the aft lockers next to the swim platform are liabilities if the hatches were to come off. This can be fixed with heavier hinges and latches.

rjones
Old 02-10-2004

mabwjm is on a distinguished road
Catalina vs Hunter

One of the problems with "which is better" type questions is one tends to hear from owners of one or the other who, understandably tend to defend their purchase choice. Are they wrong? No, of course not--in fact, they''re probably speaking from the advantage of seeing one boat or the other from a longer-term perspective.

You might consider looking at independent reviews of the boats you''re considering. I''m a big fan of Practical Sailor--you can probably find a review they''ve done on the boat(s) you''re looking for on the web or in a copy somewhere. If you''re shopping in the broader sense, you can purchase the 2-volume set of all their reviews. They don''t accept adverstising, and while I''m sure they''re not flawless, they appear to be very candid in terms of positives/negatives for a particular boat.

The only comments I see on the board here that I would tend to disregard outright are the ones that cast a blanket critique on an entire manufacturing line...Catalinas, Hunters, Beneteaus, as many others are quality boats--in a very competitive market, no one is going to have survived this long by offering a worthless product. Beyond that, as some have posted here previously, dealer support, owners associations, etc. can make a real difference in a happy boat relationship.

Hope this helps...

Fair winds, (and happy shopping!!)

Bill

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.