Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2003

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
ok Jeff_H

Ok Jeff,

Obviously you''ve kicked around a dock or two.
I''ve read many of your responses to folks looking for a "cruising" boat. So I''ll just ask.
Were you looking for a 28-32'' boat with the general idea of liveaboard/cruising, what makes/models would you choose and why? Also, what types of electronics and electrical replenishment sources do you have on your boat?

Thanks in advance Jeff, looking forward to your comments.

Cliff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
ok Jeff_H

Hi Cliff,

I am just getting over the Hurricane. We only got power late last night and phone this morning. (The house, boat and docks came through fine but we lost a dozen trees on the upper part of the property.) In otherwords I am not sure that I can give you a detailed reponse.

I guess at some level I need to ask you a couple questions;
How many people is "we"?
Where would you be sailing this boat and hwo important is sailing ability to you?
What is your budget?
Why have you decided that you want to live aboard a 28-32'' boat rather than some other size?

As to the electronics, I am a pretty performance oriented guy. My boat has an integrated Ray marine system with a knotmeter, depthsounder, and wind instrument with a repeater. I also have a electronic compass that is tied into my autopilot and repeats on the repeater. I also have an autopilot which I almost only use when motoring or during spinacker jibs. I would add a windvane if I were going offshore for any length of time. I have a built in integrated GPS and a handheld GPS (which I use far more often than the built in). I use pencils, paper charts and 3x5 cards to record my running plots. I try to minimize battery use when aboard and so get by with only an alternator (and a small built in charger that I can use at the dock) for battery replenishment. I do not have refrigeration and would live without cold things when I go offshore. (I am a vegetarian so going without cold is no big deal)

Jeff

Old 09-22-2003

newuser is on a distinguished road
ok Jeff_H

Jeff,

Thanks for taking time during what is undoubtedly a really busy time for you and yours. Good to hear your only loss was trees, could have been much worse.

To awnser your questions to my question,

Retired at 45, (fire department) "We", be Momma (the Boss) and I, (Don''t let anyone kid you, She IS the boss, she only looks dainty and innocent till you piss her off!)and occasionaly (hopefully) one or both of our boys would join us. (22&16)

We''ll be sailing southern Lake Michigan for a few years, the "Plan" then involves coastal cruising, the east coast, ICW to Florida, the islands, would love to go way north, (you''ve heard this all before) The thing is, if we get a hair and wanna go, we''d like a boat that''ll allow us to get there comfortably and safely without self-destructing, wherever "there" might be.

Although we''d rather not be last into the dock, speed isn''t that important to us but we would like a well handling, solid, balanced boat.

Our initial budget is up to 40k with 20 left for refit.

Why 28-32''? Smaller, easier, less expensive, less to maintain, et.al.
If you think this size isn''t prudent, other than size for storage, tankage, why not smaller?

Did I mention I like cutters and/or clipper bows?

Again Jeff, thanks for giving your time. I''m sure everyone who reads these posts are glad you made it thru the hurricane relativly unscathed.

Cliff