Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011

seahuston is on a distinguished road
Thanks again all for the replies. I have heard and listened to all of the advice given and it is very appreciated.
Put together a pretty detailed spreadsheet of the costs associated with this boat in terms of $$ and hrs for the worst case scenarios. This thread has certainly provided me with some ideas of the worst cases, which I appreciate. I do really like the boat but...there will be others. I need to make sure that I am not going to be opening a hole in my wallet.
Earlier comments treated this boat like a general abandoned boat which I dont think is the case. Given the fact that it was in the water last year ('10) and the owner ran off with repair not storage fees it is a bit different. BUT there is still some large question marks.
Yes, the engine runs. No, I do not feel very comfortable with it given the appearance. My plan with that would be, as suggested, to take it out and try a rebuild on it. I consider myself mechanically inclined and motivated enough to at least try. Failing a rebuild I would look into a repower with similar engine or an outboard.
What I want out of the boat: A boat primarily used for some coastal cruising but mostly a different take on traditional living (apartments for now). It doesn't have to be mint condition but I think even that requirement puts the price of all the work closer to $8000.
I will update with my decision but am leaning away from it
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
The photos indicate a boat in much better shape than I thought, reduce my estimate to $10k or so.
Old 11-22-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
I say walk away. $8k will buy a ready to sail ( or live in ) boat in todays market. when someone with little experiance in boat repairs comes up with a $ estimate I tell them to then double it and it still will not be enough. and when figuring your time involved, what ever you think, triple it and add some
Old 11-22-2011
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
I agree with Overbored. Let's assume you have to cough up $2000 out of pocket up front to get the boat and have it in the water. From what we've seen, you're easily looking at another $2000 just to make it "liveable", putting aside the "sailable" and "safe to motor" requirements. So, you're really looking at more like $4,000 right now. You MIGHT be able to put off the other, "deferred costs," as your time and budget allow. But have you spent any time on Craigslist looking at boats in the $3000-$5000 range? I think you could do a lot better. We were patient, I looked at a LOT of boats (online, I must have "reviewed" hundreds, and in person I saw at least 10) and found one that we really like, that is in better shape and cost me less money than that boat will cost you in just your initial payment. Granted, I'm on the East coast and I wound up with a Catalina 25, but I was seeing Cal's, Irwins, Ericsons, and others that were in my price range (which was less than yours) in the 25-30' range. Hang in there, you'll find the right boat.

I know it's hard to resist the siren song of the boat, but you're getting honest, impartial advice from the folks here. We're not there looking at the boat(s) with you, and ultimately you are the one who has to be happy with it, so of course the final decision is yours to make. I think everyone who has chimed in here is anxious to see you get a boat too, but we all want you to get the right boat for you. That means finding something that will get you hooked on sailing and enjoying being a sailor, not just finding any boat. From what I've seen, I'd put this boat in the later category, not the former.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2011
Asleep at the wheel

Where are you located?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2011

Thank you all, I definitely hear all of the advice being given and a very small portion of it is affirmative. While I think the boat is a really nice boat I dont the condition of it makes it the right option for me right now. I am anxious to get a boat because I am so excited about one but realistically I wont be able to get it in the water next summer for living. This was the thought with a project (next summer to work on it) but I think the idea of paying less at the start doesnt really financially work. This has been reinforced by this thread for sure.
I think I will keep looking at boats. I have definitely spent my fair share of time on Craigslist, boat listings, fleabay, etc. and spotted some other boats of interest. I'll keep the hunt up and certainly keep these very very very helpful forums in the loop.
Thanks all!
Old 11-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Where are you located?
Living in the Portsmouth, NH area. Still very connected with family in Maine though. Northern New England.
Old 11-23-2011
Asleep at the wheel

For some reason, I thought you were on the great lakes. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a great boat at a good price. In addition to Craigslist, you might also look for a local marine donation organization, like the Sea Scouts, Boat Angel, etc. You might find that they have something in which you'd be interested, and at a very good price. There is one in Annapolis, MD (obviously too far for you, but a good example) that has some very interesting boats, including a 26' Cheoy Lee, for sale. See BOATS FOR SALE - Anchor Point, Inc. They may know of other groups like themselves that are in your area. Good luck!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-23-2012

thepoco is on a distinguished road
Re:Seafarer 26

While on the subject of a Seafarer 26, I have a question regarding the prop.
My boat is powered by a Yanmar 2YM15. In calm waters she drives at roughly 3 knots.
I have a feeling she could use more prop. What is the largest size I might move to?
Thanks in advance for any insight you can lend.
Old 07-25-2012

juggleandhope is on a distinguished road
Re: Purchase Consideration Seafarer 26

might get more responses on a new or different thread - this is the wrong forum on a dead thread. good luck.